Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Hey Zilch is there something you did any different for the red and blue ones?
The manufacturing variability graph? Far right is 22.388 kHz, as I recall.

Two of them were borrowed, and maybe 6 months older. You can see they're from different manufacturing runs in their responses, generally.... :dunno:

WOW that's quite a difference, good to have that measurement availability,
An pick the "good ones" :)

WOW that's quite a difference, good to have that measurement availability,
An pick the "good ones" :)

Back where these measurments were being done, they were brought closer together by tweeking. The diaphram apparently ( I havent done this myself)
can sit in several (4?) different ways, and by adjusting to the other positions and measuring, they can be improved. I think Skywaverider and Zilch were the ones
tweeking" if I remember.

Russellc

You can also see by your posting of the different paddings from Waynes chart that
the extremes aren't as flat as the ones in the middle, so there is a "desired" padding
(more in the center of those) to achieve best results.

Back where these measurments were being done, they were brought closer together by tweeking. The diaphram apparently ( I havent done this myself)
can sit in several (4?) different ways, and by adjusting to the other positions and measuring, they can be improved. I think Skywaverider and Zilch were the ones
tweeking" if I remember.

Russellc

Yah I remember that Russ, but I hadn't thought it affected that Extreme top end. :scratch2:

WOW that's quite a difference, good to have that measurement availability, An pick the "good ones" :)
Here's four BMS 4555s for comparison:

attachment.php

[They're a bit more expensive, tho.... ;) ]

You can also see by your posting of the different paddings from Waynes chart that the extremes aren't as flat as the ones in the middle, so there is a "desired" padding (more in the center of those) to achieve best results.
Yes, for each capacitance value, there is an optimum combination; in that sense, it's the cap that sets the basic attenuation, at the high end. You can also see that while there is some variation with the L-pad settings, it is considerably less. :yes:

That's what this is about; getting it "right:"

attachment.php

[You know the drill.... ;) ]

My Ewave picture

Gentlemen!

Here are my pictures. Please count me as an Ewaver! :D:D:D

My R1 and R2 are 5 watters. :stupid: The only resistors that were handy at the time. I am running with eico 14s. They are 14 watts each. And the resistors are cool. But don't worry. I've already ordered replacement resistors. Trust me. They will be beefed up. Way UP!

Hey Andy. Would my enclosures be light enuf to make it darker or more like red? Please help. Other than that, they sound beautiful. Beautiful! I was about to sell my cartridge thinking that it sounded dull. It wasn't my cartridge. Nope!

Skywave. I am gonna try to post some graphs later. My internet is down. I am piggy backing on our neighbor's wifi.
Thanks guys. Really!

Attachments

• P1010060.jpg
    P1010060.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 296
  • P1010067.jpg
    P1010067.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 408
  • P1010063-1.jpg
    P1010063-1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 260
Gentlemen!

Here are my pictures. Please count me as an Ewaver! :D:D:D

Luscious!
Congratulations!
Can you flip it so the port's below?
I like the mini baffle, looks cool.
Having said that, as Zilch suggests, waveguide in the box?

IIRC, a fairly tight, with 12" woofer, 10" spacing center to center will give you 50 degrees vertical coverage with nulls just outside the pattern at 1600 Hz x-over.

Hi guys
Luscious! Congratulations!
Can you flip it so the port's below?
I like the mini baffle, looks cool.
Having said that, as Zilch suggests, waveguide in the box?
Thanks man. Could not have done it without u.
I can surely flip the box. Even I can do that one. :D
Waveguide'll fit in those baffles, no?
No. Too tight! I wish I could though. It will look much nicer.
But it sure sounds good.:music: :banana:party!:banana:

Sweet, good job T.

Yep same here, get that box flipped over with woofer uptop.:thmbsp:

------------
EDIT:
Are you sure waveguide won't fit, say you place a port in the back? (small ports on front) ?
(Unless there's some brace or something behind, by your pic "modded" looks close to me) :)

Yah I like to play with paint way to much, sorry!

Granted the easy thing to do is just flip the cab over, then your woofer is off the floor, closer
to ear height as well an then gets your center to center spacing more in line at the same time.

---
--
-

Attachments

• T_wave_fports.JPG
    T_wave_fports.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 87
Too tight! I wish I could though. It will look much nicer.
I'm trying to scale it from the pic; seems mighty close.

A pair of smaller ports will fit, one each side below the waveguide, looks like.

Make new baffles and move the woofer down the inch or so you need, maybe? :dunno:

What exactly does this chart show? Can you provide a legend, please? This looks like a very useful set of curves for top-octave compensation and level matching the tweeter with just about any woofer you would want.
It's the "More data" thing.

Legend says "Wayne's chart."

Those are the eight curves generated when the component values in your chart are used with a Selenium D220Ti on the EconoWaveguide. I'm not concerned about how smooth the curves are (or aren't,) because I'm not set up for minimizing reflections with this, and it's the first D220Ti I grabbed out of the box. Nonetheless, we're within +/- 2.5 db everywhere here.

I have just tweaked your -6 dB components to 10/25/1.0 uF to boost the high end a bit and still provide essentially full compensaton beginning at 20 kHz. 12/18/0.68 uF did the same for -8 dB:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Wayne's Chart+2.jpg
    Wayne's Chart+2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 801
Those are the eight curves generated when the component values in your chart are used with a Selenium D220Ti on the EconoWaveguide. I'm not concerned about how smooth the curves are (or aren't,) because I'm not set up for minimizing reflections with this, and it's the first D220Ti I grabbed out of the box. Nonetheless, we're within +/- 2.5 db everywhere here.

Oh, I see, very good. I thought those might be from my chart, but wasn't sure if you actually built my networks or simulated them or what.

I would not use the 6dB or 8dB versions, for the reasons I've stated earlier. There isn't enough padding to remove for top-octave augmentation. There is only half the needed slope. I added the 6dB and 8dB component values to the chart only to show what would be required, for completions sake.

As an aside, there are a couple cases where less augmentation can be useful. One is with compression drivers that have top-octave peaking from diaphragm breakup. The added energy from diaphragm resonance boosts the top-octave some, in that case. A driver like that can sound a little harsh with CD equalization, when a full 12dB augmentation is provided, 6dB/octave through the top two octaves. They're tricky to work with because no EQ sounds dull but traditional CD equalization sounds harsh. The partial EQ from a 6dB network can sound OK with drivers like that.

Another case where less augmentation is useful is non-CD horns, like exponential and tractrix flares. Those have some acoustic EQ from collapsing DI, but could often use a little more. The partial EQ provided by the 6dB network is just about right. Try it with an Altec 811 or 511 horn, for example.

Back
Top Bottom