Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Blue terminal thingies = Flexi-Blocks

Ditto that. Need and want! Please share the source of the blue terminal thingies.

Okay, I'll spill! And really, they're even cooler than you think. You think it's just a single term block:

501555659_BUvJk-S.jpg

But in fact they come in a strip, on fiber tape, and when used together they look like a single block:

501555634_E83e4-M.jpg

But that's not all! They are designed so that you cut off however many you need, and then cut the matching "track", slide them in the track, and have mounting tabs on each end.

501555587_jQymv-L.jpg

Instructions: (paste this link if you want better resolution)
http://tubino.smugmug.com/gallery/7756378_vAmt3/1/501555675_46EXF#501555614_xaorM-O-LB

501555614_xaorM-L.jpg

In this side view you see the little tabs that slide in the tracks.

501555675_46EXF-M.jpg

I recently bought an open box from a guy who was dumping surplus stuff from his family's shop -- but he had none of the track stuff! So I've never used them correctly, but I'm happily misusing them till I bother to track down a source. Which leads me to the conclusion: I have no idea where to buy them, but the photos have all the manufacturer and part number info.

I posted more pictures in the hpm redo thread and in the "pics of your
listening space" in the General Audio Discussions.
They sound incredible !!!

Curious, is the original Large Advent crossover have the woofer and the tweeter wired out of phase? What would be the advantage if so?

Curious, is the original Large Advent crossover have the woofer and the tweeter wired out of phase? What would be the advantage if so?

Yes, the E'wave cross over does have the HF out of phase with the LP. This is typical of 2nd order crossovers. otherwise, the highs and the lows are said to be 180 degrees out of phase with each other. Try it both ways.

russellc

Yes, the E'wave cross over does have the HF out of phase with the LP. This is typical of 2nd order crossovers. otherwise, the highs and the lows are said to be 180 degrees out of phase with each other. Try it both ways.

russellc

Thanks-I will. Haven't started mine yet, waiting on wave guides, and for my back to heal a bit. But I'm glad, because I've gotten some great ideas for mine now that I have seen a few more projects!!:thmbsp:

Something Keg said, is still getting me tweeked,,,, we were talking about the B&C driver and he said that the flat line all the way out to 16khz or so, and Keg said that those measurements are done WITH correction, if so, that is mis leading marketing. Anyway that is my rant for the day. Cheers.

I guess this is a question for Zilch: Has anyone ever measured teh effects of the foam plugs that some people have been using in the WG? I hear subjective impressions that it's 'better' but I don't recall ever seeing a graph.

BTW, I wonder if we're putting significant pressure on the local supply of Selenium D210Ti (obs.) and D220Ti drivers. the pair I got last week were date stamped 7 weeks* ago and they were made overseas, indicating not a huge local supply on hand.

* corrected

Something Keg said, is still getting me tweeked,,,, we were talking about the B&C driver and he said that the flat line all the way out to 16khz or so, and Keg said that those measurements are done WITH correction, if so, that is mis leading marketing. Anyway that is my rant for the day. Cheers.
Factory curves on data sheets are typically shown measured on a horn or waveguide, their choice, and thus, whatever one shows them performing most optimally, an exponential type, frequently, which requires minimal compensation.

The performance of the driver alone is revealed when measured on a plane wave tube (PWT), the difference reflecting the character of the horn/waveguide, and a true constant directivity one will not alter the native performance of the driver, which is why we use HF comp with them to flatten the response.... :yes:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4410

Sorry, I thought you meant the E'wave advent crossover, not the original. I doubt it was, a single cap and maybe a resistor for the HP if I recall.

Russellc

I guess this is a question for Zilch: Has anyone ever measured teh effects of the foam plugs that some people have been using in the WG?
No, and I don't recall ever seen Geddes's measurements showing the effect of the full-dimension foam plug on his waveguides' performance, either.

BTW, I wonder if we're putting significant pressure on the local supply of Selenium D210Ti (obs.) and D220Ti drivers. the pair I got last week were date stamped 7 weeks* ago and they were made overseas, indicating not a huge local supply on hand.
We seem to be putting pressure on all of the suppliers. The 1.5 mH ERSE I-Core was again backordered on my most recent PE order, after them having restocked for a period of several months.

[Guess I'll have to use up some Advent inductors here.... ;) ]

Sorry, I thought you meant the E'wave advent crossover, not the original. I doubt it was, a single cap and maybe a resistor for the HP if I recall.

Russellc

I have a ULA XO here on my desk. Woofer inductor, 3P3T switch, 2 caps 16uf, one resistor 3 Ohms and 2 very small inductors. This is kinda torn up (parts disconnected ) so I'm not sure what the circuit is, taking all of the switch stuff into account.

Here's a comprehensive listing of Large Advent crossovers:

http://baselaudiolabs.googlepages.com/ADVENT_LA_XO.html

Last edited:
I have a ULA XO here on my desk. Woofer inductor, 3P3T switch, 2 caps 16uf, one resistor 3 Ohms and 2 very small inductors. This is kinda torn up (parts disconnected ) so I'm not sure what the circuit is, taking all of the switch stuff into account.

Here's a comprehensive listing of Large Advent crossovers:

http://baselaudiolabs.googlepages.com/ADVENT_LA_XO.html

Thanks! I guess that answers the query, it appears none of the original crossovers had the inverted phase hookup.

Russellc

Speaking of inverted phase hookup, I have noted a thing or two about the B&C DE 250's use here. Looking at Wayne's 4 PI crossover, in the small writting about hookups and resistors, I note that the DE 250 is hooked up with reverse phase when compared to the PSD 2002 driver's hookup. I look forward to more work being done on this driver, it shows remarkable promise,
shimmering highs, clear transparent sound, etc., but at the end of the day it doent seem to draw me in the way other drivers have. The Selenium, the JBL 2425H, the Altec 802 8G. The B&C is more transparent than any of them, really crystal clear. It has yet to have the magic that these other drivers have. Clearly, More extention than on the 2425H and 8028G, but not half as pleasant. This feeling was ameliorated to some degree with the addition of the .8 coil and 6.8 cap. But not completely. I am begining to wonder if reverse polarity would help, I guess it would be easy enough to try. Something just needs nudged a little one way or the other, so I can relax when this driver is playing. I really feel this driver is going to be a winner. I think I will build Wayne's crossover for comparison purposes.

Russellc

I was able to hear The EWave speaker built by lico a week ago, when I delivered his DE250 drivers. I heard quite a resonance in the voice region in the track he played me. This is greatly reduced in these speakers.

Hopefully, at some point in the future, I might be able to bring these speakers over to his place for a more direct comparison.

That sounds good to me, I'd like to hear a comparison too someday. And I like the idea of you carrying those NLAs over here opposed to me having to move the Bozak cabs :D

Still confused about phasing.

Reversing the phase seems to help. Before you go changing anything, remember I'm the guy who had the l-pad wiring all screwed up and thought that sounded good.:D

While looking over the schematic for the 4430 crossover, I noticed that they DO NOT have the LP + hooked up to the black post, not following JBL protocal
for drivers like the 2235H which have forward movement from + going to the black post. Anyone hazzard a guess as to why this is so? Or have I missed something?

Thanks in advance,

Russellc

Back
Top Bottom