Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Using it for my e waves. It's pretty good. Not alot of listening time yet as I'm still finishing the cabinets. I would call them sharp but not that honky sound that some horn drivers have

I'm thinking about splitting the crossover and running the woof with a Carver M1.5T and the horn with a 300B so that might smooth the highs out a bit.

The idea of the eWave crossover is to deal with the ever presents 6+/- db dip a constant directivety horn has. I've been looking at the SEOS horns but don't know if they are constant directivity.

On diy sound group It doesn't specifically say that they are CD. I'd like to order the dna 150 with the 8" Seos horn. But the dna 150 is never in stock.

"The super ellipse shape was chosen to eliminate the on-axis response dip so common in older horns and waveguides on the market"

I think I'll order the 12" SEOS and the PRV D230TI Compression driver. and do some measuring with a normal straight crossover and the eWave crossover and the MiniDSP. That will give me a goof idea of how best to implement it.

Just looking at options. The Tymphany, for a couple bucks more, seem to have a smoother response. But I haven't really examined them.

I'm very pleased to have finished building my first Econowave crossovers in a very long time...

IMG_1012.JPG

Kind of a crap picture but you get the point. I'm very happy to install these permanently in Zilch's old C36 Viscount cabinets running D220ti's in standard JBL waveguides for the top end, JBL D123A on the bottom end. Zilch modeled so many speaker designs using the Behringer CX3400, he left dozens of cabinets loaded with drivers with wires just sticking out the back. It feels great to be building again.

WOW! Nostalgia. You were in the first "wave" of this creation and I have built 3 pair so far and more in the queue. I LOVE these proven, tested plans. Between Zilch and Wayne P., my listeniing has been elevated. I now have a pair of 4430s, but I am still building E-waves. I can't stop.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!! Here's a closeup that will hopefully make my life easier next time I build the <95db Econowave crossover. Just to be clear, the potentiometer is facing up.

IMG_1014.JPG

WOW! Nostalgia. You were in the first "wave" of this creation and I have built 3 pair so far and more in the queue. I LOVE these proven, tested plans. Between Zilch and Wayne P., my liteniing has been elevated. I now have a pair of 4430s, but I am still building E-waves. I can't stop.

Me too man. I keep building because I keep learning!

Anyone else use eagle or kicad. Be easy enough redraw the board. I would just need some of the original artwork with dimensions. So whatever you guys have file wise post them.

I am determined to keep this going and am acquiring the test equipment so that we can collaborate on new two-way horn designs with the newer CD/horn offerings. For those who (still) want to build GREAT systems that are affordable, I'd love AK to be the go-to place - and of course, with help from all who are interested.
PS - I use still, because so many are satisfied with 3" Bluetooth speakers.

I have very good cabs and a set of boards and I'm thinking of using a two way plate amp in one speaker with an ambilical cord to the other speaker and have normal RCA and blue tooth. So it what be like very large eWave computer speakers. I can fit a 15" woofer and 15" horn.

Back
Top Bottom