Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Just noticed the date when Zilch started this mega thread. It's been 10 years...

And I just noticed that I hit 1,111 posts with this one.

Finished another pair of Economy Ewaves. Been collecting the parts and pieces over the course of a couple years and after re-reading through the monsterous thread I found my motivation to get them finished. The cabs are repurposed old EPI A300 in decent condition and solid. The build is based on Zilch's ZLH17 build using DC250, Selenium 220ti and Pyle 612 waveguide but in a sealed configuration. Sound very nice, that's what Ewaves do. Thanks to all who have contributed to this awesome thread over the past 10 years, a lot of great speakers were born here and mediocre speakers made great here.2018-03-31 21.58.24.jpg 2018-04-01 20.39.06.jpg 2018-04-02 20.04.06.jpg 2018-04-02 22.51.19.jpg

Yes, I thought Id try them them this way first as it is a small cab at 1.25 cu ft. If I dont like the results I will port them. Ill trade efficiency for solid base as I have horsepower to drive them. So far they sound good, dig deep in the bass dept without sounding muddy. Overall clarity is incredible, definitely a solid design concept regardless of the implementation. Thanks Z!

Last edited:
Here ya go ( click the pic ):

:)

PS:
fetch

Last edited:
REMEMBER! That crossover is for the B&C DE250 CD. It is middling in price, so save up if need be, it's worth it.

Last edited:
REMEMBER! That crossover is for the B&B DE250 CD. It is middling in price, so save up if need be, it's worth it.

Yep, I remember. I've been around since the beginning but I've been out of the loop several years.
I forgot about the high price on that and the 3012LF though.
Ugh. $603 just for the pair of 3012LF and DE250's and no crossover bits.
One of the PE coupons will help but it's still over my budget for a while longer.

Anyone have a chart for the low frequency crossover? The hf section is extensive with data. The woofer/mid not so much. I changed from the DC300-8 to some Altec 412c speakers. Sounds good but would be better with a tailored crossover. The first graph attached is raw full range of the 412c. The second is raw in room close to woofer. The third is with the dc300 crossover.The fourth is with the hf section and lpad maxed .The peaks on the last graph are what to look at. Thanks.

Attachments

• 412 graph.gif
    412 graph.gif
    33.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Altec only2.JPG
    Altec only2.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Altec with crossover.JPG
    Altec with crossover.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Altec lpad full left.JPG
    Altec lpad full left.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 23
Erich is his name .

Those crossover designs are very model specific ( since they were optimized by PCD & applicable for only the drivers used in the kits ) /// as such, they really wouldn't do Gary any good ( even if they were published ) .

For example, not one of them incorporates a variable L-Pad ( to help balance HF to LF ) . The variable LPad is/was a mainstay in all of JackGiffs ( & Zilch's ) network designs .

As a result ( by the omission of a variable pad ), the DIYsoundgroup network designs won't lend themselves ( easily ) to the BYOB crowd ( ie; "Bring Your Own Bass" ) which was part of JackGiff's design philosophy ( as seen in his original networks / used by a 100 people or more ) . Gary's ( existing ) unknown woofer forces him into the BYOB philosophy ( & not the PCD crowd ) .

Gary might want to try this network out for size ( I would start with the R4,C4,L3 left out, since it's meant to notch a very specific area ) ;

attachment.php

The above ( may ) just be close enough for giggles ( as "filtered" through what I interpret as the original intent of this thread ) .

Hi Earl, and the others that helped - just wanted to say many thanks for the above info etc, as I finally (over 4.5 years!) got round to making the above, and left out R4,C4,L3, didn't need an L-Pad, and got a reasonably flat tweeter response, so very pleased with the result, and I love how they sound which is why we're doing this after all :)

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....go-post-your-pics.811523/page-2#post-11423423

And now I want to make three more, but larger for my home theatre.

I picked up some Pyle PH216 waveguides a few years back, and as I love the sound of my mini ewaves I'd like to try and keep that kind of sound with the PH216s. The XD125 has a polyethylene diaphragm and I'm assuming that plays a part in the smoother mellow sound compared to the titanium drivers I listen to in my Behringer B215XL PA speakers (my current theatre speakers). If I could use XD125s with 12" or 15" drivers I would, but as i understand it the pattern control isn't compatible with larger drivers.

The ewave driver of choice with the PH216 is the Selenium D220Ti, but I was wondering if anyone had ewaved with the DE250 clones? The Dayton Audio D250P seems like the cheapest option and seems to get good reviews, and I think they will sound more like the XD125s than the titanium D220Ti. Am I going in the right direction if that's my aim?

I can't get the Selenium D220, Dayton D250P or the PRV Audio D290Py-S here in the UK so will have to get them shipped over from the US (Parts Express) which bumps up the price with added duty and tax, hence my asking here to make sure I make the right choice.

I'll also need some help with the crossover if I don't go with the selenium as that already has full crossovers available in this and various other ewave threads. I can measure with REW (though only in my lounge) but I need to learn how to apply filters etc to tame the FR where needed.

I did look at Wayne Parnhams 3 and 4Pi speakers but they both rely on using his waveguide, which is as much as the drivers so make it an expensive option, which is a shame as I can get the Eminence PSD2002 CD easily over here. Having got the PH216s I'd like to make use of them though.

Ideally an existing design with crossover schematic will do, but I'm happy to be helped with the crossover with the DE250 clones (or even Eminence PSD2002) and PH216 if you guys think it's worth the effort and have the time to spare.

Cheers

Gary

Hey! I was using all the right numbers, but not necessarily in all the right places... :p

it was indeed the PH612 wg I was referring to :)

The Celestion is a more expensive driver than the other options, even inluding shipping etc from the US, but I might go that route if they are better than the other choices - can I ask why you would choose that CD over the others?

I've also just started playing with WinPCD and XSim to try and be able to create my own crossovers. I can get a reasonable looking FR compared to what they're like raw so to speak, but that's not taking into account much else, and I know there's more to it than just a flat fr. I just don't know what else yet though :)

The Celestion driver is just over $100.00 cdn ( here in Canada ).

I consider that affordable for a driver with good performance.

I tested out a pair of the mentioned ( DT250P ) Daytons / they were very substandard with high distortion and non-linear response ( so I returned them ).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom