Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Mazza they are very modern looking. My vote is they qualify.
Okay then, I'll post some driver files for you on the weekend.
Thank you for the assist. The woofers on these should be easier to tame than the Bi-flexs were.

Thanks for all your support Gents. Really appreciated.

I need to port them as I don't think they have much below 100 hz. In my system, with four subs equalised with a DCX2496 they sound very smooth and dynamic.

I know that with the crossover optimised for the DNA 360 from DIY Sound Group it's unlikely it's perfect with the CDX1-1745. But to my ears they sound really great.
To know for sure I will need to measure so I'm planning on investing in a proper test microphone and going the full MazLab.

This weekend I plan on porting these and then having a longer listen. I'm hoping to be able to run these sans subs and get tight impactful midbass slam from them. Tuning around 50hz should be possible says Winisd.

I'll report back as things develop. Cheers.

Last edited:
Mazza they are very modern looking. My vote is they qualify.
Thank you for the assist. The woofers on these should be easier to tame than the Bi-flexs were.

Here are the frd & zma files ( contained within an XSim .dxo file ).

One possible horn design is as follows ( with a lowish > almost 1K crossover point ).
- The LCR notch in the horn circuit is very mild ( and might be eliminated after actual listening tests ).

FYI, I've mated my measurement files to some existing Zilch files ( Eminence 2512 > thanks Zilch ! ).

Peerless_DFM2535_with_Emi2512.png

:)

Attachments

• PeerlessDriver_152i-Clone_3-P_simpleLCR_EkL.zip
    20.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thank you EarlK. I will play with the files over the weekend. The woofers are jbl e-120 frames with 2204H cones and added mass ring. They should be shipping soon. GordonW is the source of the custom blend woofers. Box will be tuned to 35hz.

The empty cabinets are being filled with these. JBL E-120-8 reconed to 2204H with added mass rings from JBL 2235. Boxes will be tuned to 35hz. The waveguide will be on top.

Attachments

• firstday (6).JPG
    firstday (6).JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 29
The empty cabinets are being filled with these. JBL E-120-8 reconed to 2204H with added mass rings from JBL 2235. Boxes will be tuned to 35hz. The waveguide will be on top.

Looking good / should be nice!

Are those actual JBL ( N.O.S. ) C8R2204 recone kits with the added mass rings ?

Or are they a buildup of custom parts sourced by Gordon ?

Did you get given TS parameters for them ?

Or are they a buildup of custom parts sourced by Gordon ?

Did you get given TS parameters for them ?
Yes Gordon is the source. No I did not get TS parameters. Here is the sweep and pink noise taken with mic 2.5" from grill. All I have is a dayton mic and my phone. No crossover used on these yet. The graph/files you sent have a 1k crossover. The woofer portion will be different but the 1K should be good.

Attachments

• PinkNoise6.JPG
    PinkNoise6.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 40
  • SweepUpTo2K (6).JPG
    SweepUpTo2K (6).JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 36
  • PinkNoise (3).JPG
    PinkNoise (3).JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 36
Those. I feel, are the best horn for eWaves.
Yes- they are described as exponential on the PE product page, but they are not. They are respectably CD :)
The Tymphany driver seems like an excellent value. Bill Waslo likes 'em, too.

Edit: sorry, I missed a whole bunch of posts after that... I'm out of sync. Oh well, it's nice to see good things happening here, and some recent solid contributions and projects :)

Last edited:
Very nice Mazza. How do they sound after porting them?

Mr Djnangle, they sound very agreeable to me, thank you for asking! But full range (compared to what I have now) they are not. ;)

I really need to get a proper mic and reserve judgement until then, because I think that its likely I'll be biased, these being my babies and give a misleading impression.

Initial impressions:
Absolutely the ports added more bass into the mix. But they are "lean" by comparison with the Klipsch KG 5.5's I have, no surprise there tho. The KG's have monstrously great bass so its unlikely a very fair comparison, they run flat to 20hz in my room measured from my MLP. The KG's are also noticeably more efficient, I'd say an easy 3db more so which was a surprise.

The KG's are rich and full sounding next to the SEOS/Faital system. But I think that this is because the SEOS/Faital system is a far more accurate (the response with the DNA360 CD is ruler flat). Where the KG's have a nicely downward sloping house curve response that is warm by comparison and really appeals to me.

Another interesting difference between the two systems is that I have changed the diaphrams in the KG's to the Crites Ti's. These have that nice Ti signature sound (that I like) and it stands in quite stark comparison to the CDX1's smoothness. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that they are different. A fine Shiraz vs a fine merlot perhaps?

With the Lpads on the SEOS/Faital wound all the way down I felt that the highs were still a bit pronounced to my ears still so I added in a 4 ohm resister (it was all I had) in series immediately before the CDX1 on the positive lead. This knocked down the top end some and allowed me to then wind the Lpad all the way up. This helped better balance the woofer/tweeter and allowed more bass presence. They are still not bass machines, but they are very listenable and the CDX1-1745 is super smooth, thanks EarlK.

Switching my subs in, the SEOS/Faital's sound great. Their accuracy makes for very lifelike and clear vocals, I assume a feature of how linear the Faital woofer is with its break up very high in its passband, something appreciated with my advancing tinnitus. They are dynamic with the big swings in movies naturally, so overall they are a very fine loudspeaker system.

I can't yet validate the performance of the CDX1-1745 on the SEOS with this crossover optimised for the DIY Sound Group DNA360, however I am committed to purchasing a proper mic (suggestions welcome - cheapest viable please!) and measuring it so that others might see its inter-changeability now that those CD's are no longer in production (it seems). Also I'd like to give back a bit here especially given the generosity of members like EarlK and others who, in Zilch's, Dr Geddes and Wayne Parnam's likeness, give so much wisdom up so freely to help so many others like me maximise our enjoyment of this noble hobby.

Last edited:
I have been playing with the files EarlK sent me. Most mid woofers seem to have a rising curve around 2,000 hz. The measured response of the woofers I am using is not as extreme. I have been looking through the dayton graphs on the P.E. site to find a close match to sim. Not the best method but something to get close to start out with. Attached is the current guesstimate. The 1.1mh will be a 1.0mh due to availability.

Attachments

• DaytonJBLGuess.png
    DaytonJBLGuess.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DaytonJBLGuessGraph.png
    DaytonJBLGuessGraph.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I made a few revisions and then placed the order today.View attachment 1320997

Well you're brave.

If I remember correctly I arbitrarily set the Acoustic Center of the horn/driver combo ( in that file ) as 4" behind that of the woofer.

What you should be doing is massaging that figure ( even by eye-balling the differential distance between the 2 respective voice-coils ) then adding back a fraction of an inch to the woofers voice reading . That updated figure then needs to be put onto the CDr's offset ( delay ) figure within XSim.
- Then the passives values need to be reworked for best fit at crossover with this newly updated offset in place.

OTOH, passives are cheap enough that everyone should have some extras.

Last edited:
The waveguide will be mounted on top of the existing box. The depth is not set yet. I know this is guess work with the graphs . Good fun to me. The parts are on the way. I will be making a new motor board/baffle to mount the woofer higher. The JBL woofers are shallow in depth. http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29737-2204h Rear mounted the voice coil is 4.125" back from top edge of box.
Well you're brave.

If I remember correctly I arbitrarily set the Acoustic Center of the horn/driver combo ( in that file ) as 4" behind that of the woofer.
I am still new at the xsim . I will check the offset delay.

Back
Top Bottom