ZZ Top remasters for?

libertycaps

Analogue "AAA" vinyl.
First Album
Rio Grande Mud
Tejas

When will this finally happen? I love my LPs, but like most LPs...they have "issues." I want proper CDs !!!

Help. :sigh:

I'd be happy with the LPs being more available, but thats coming from someone who doesn't actually own a CD player that isn't in the car. I own the only copies of Rio Grande Mud and Tejas that I've run across used. I've not found their first album, and I'm still looking for a copy of Tres Hobres to show up sometime. I won't actually go so far as to seek one out on barter town since that spoils the "fun of the hunt" but if and when I find a copy at a record store or something, it comes home with me. On the other hand I could probably find you all the copies of Fandango or Eliminator that you can stand.

I have the WB (1970s?) reissues of The First Album and Big River Mud and they sound better than many WB first pressings for some reason.
Don't hesitate to try them.

re: The ZZ 6-pack CDs - I like it but they messed with B-B-Q too much.
The lead out guitar riff isn't the same as the original but the sound is good.
I like my LP version 1Mx better.

Last edited:
Make sure you get the London Records version of "Tres Hombres."

Except for the old Greatest Hits CD, digital versions of the great sounding early albums are dreck.

First Album
Rio Grande Mud
Tejas

When will this finally happen? I love my LPs, but like most LPs...they have "issues." I want proper CDs !!!

Help. :sigh:

I did a photoshoot with Billy G and the boys a few years back and asked him this exact question. He told me that he didn't know where the original tapes from the early days were :sigh: but that they were "digging" for them with the intention of doing proper re-issues "some day". I also chatted with their manager about this as I was kind of shocked that one could misplace such a thing - he just shook his head and told me how Billy has warehouses PACKED with stuff - one warehouse supposedly contains the entire stage production of the 1976 "World Wide Texas Tour" - including taxidermy rattlesnakes, buffalo etc. Billy is a super eccentric "packrat" - it wouldn't surprise me if the tapes were buried under 3 feet of "Rio Grande Mud"!

Except for the old Greatest Hits CD, digital versions of the great sounding early albums are dreck.

I've got one with a Warner Bros. logo but it says London Records in small type. Is that what you mean, or is the good one more Londonish?

Attachments

• tres hombres label 2.jpg
    tres hombres label 2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 13
I've got one with a Warner Bros. logo but it says London Records in small type. Is that what you mean, or is the good one more Londonish?

from discogs

attachment.php

Attachments

• R-840158-1273809099.jpg
    R-840158-1273809099.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 58
^Mowgli nailed it. You want the traditional blue London LP label we've grown to love because of the Stones. NM, it should set you back maybe $15.00.

Better dynamic range and bass presence on the London. Fandango, Tejas, etc. all sound great on London.

I've got VG+ to NM- London presses of all the early LPs up to and including the 1977 Best of.
I've got a few NM- WB pressings too.
I still want new properly remastered CDs of the 3 albums in the OP as well !!! When? Oh, when?!? :tears:

Is that the '92 Greatest Hits with Viva Las Vegas Gun Love?

Back
Top Bottom