ZZZZZAAPP!!!!! D-mn Static!

redeldo

Wayne
Don't know about the rest of the world, but here the static electricity is downright painful to the fingers and the receiver (ears). Every time I place or remove an LP from the TT, I get zapped and there is this awful crackling sound like french fries in a boiler. I try to touch something metal like the Isobar Touchmaster Plus for the computer but even that does not completely eliminate it.

I know what static will do to a PC, but can it harm the receiver, speakers and/or the LP itself? Any suggestions other than having my wife change records for me? :scratch2:

Thanks for the link! I saw that when doing a "search" but guess I did not go far enough. I like the idea of the gun zapper but the price seems a little high but if it works ...

Guess I will put on a pot of tea as suggested hope for the best. Thanks

Be thankful you don't live in the desert. Out here, it isn't limited just to winter months- I get zapped when it's 115 outside.

I have a digital humidity meter in my house, and I use a humidifier if it gets too dry. I don't have static problems (that I know of). I still use the grounds and wrist straps etc while working on gear.

a real humidifier attached to your furnace is the best answer. for records, try something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5852926077
57_1.JPG

hth,

doug s.

tentoze said:
Be thankful you don't live in the desert. Out here, it isn't limited just to winter months- I get zapped when it's 115 outside.

Toze: what humidity level does a/your swamp cooler generate???

That sounds like a real problem.....

markthefixer said:
Toze: what humidity level does a/your swamp cooler generate???

That sounds like a real problem.....

To be honest, I know absolutely nothing about swamp coolers. As far as I can tell, they stopped putting them in houses here when central A/C got ubiquitous (meaning, every house I've been inside of). When I first got here, a friend did have one in her mobile home, and the time I was there, it actually seemed to do a credible job, temperature-wise, although I don't think it was the dead middle of summer at the time.

I always discharge myself to an idle piece of gear before touching anything that's powered up, particularly the TT, as it can make a NASTY braaaap, not to mention getting the crap knocked out of you. You learn quickly to NEVER touch anything with yr fingertips first- the back of the hand is much less sensitive.

Back
Top Bottom