Infinity QRS - Inspired Building These Speakers

MagicMarksy

Hi all,
I am following the many suggestions I have gotten over the past few days and I am going to commit some of my time and start some new threads. I am hoping that AudioKarma thinks these threads are valuable enough to make "STICKY" so they will be easy to find, as I expect they will be very popular.
So here goes. This is the first one. I have entitled it INFINITY QRS [Quantum Reference Standard] - Inspired US to Build these Speakers.
Many of you older memebers might remember back in the late 1970's (1978) that for a very limited period of time, Infinity actually made a product called the Quantum Reference Standard. This was only available for a very limited amount of time but it INSPIRED a whole array of loudspeakers that followed.
As the story goes.....the heart of the original QRS was the Strathern Midrange Driver. It is a pseudo-ribbon actually invented in the 1950's, if I recall correctly, and for many years it was manufactured in Northern Ireland.
The impedance of the midrange was only 0.55 Ohms so the manufacturer also devised a impedance matching transformer to use with the transducer, making the actual drive impedance of the combined device 8 Ohms. However, Arnie Nudell realized that if you took 3 raw drivers and put them in series you could get a 1.65 Ohm load and that a good high current amplifier could actually drive this load directly without the need for an impedance matching transformer. Eventually he mated 3 of these 2 foot Strathern midrange drivers with 20 Full Line Source EMIT's, that he had manufactured for him by Peerless Loudspeakers of Leominster, Massachusetts (13 facing front and 7 facing the rear), and mated them with a 15 inch woofer thus creating the INFINITY QUANTUM REFERENCE STANDARD soon to be known as the Infinity QRS'.
The next part of the story is that Harry Pearson, of Absolute Sound Fame, reviewed the speaker (Issue 13, 1978) and loved the midrange and high frequency components but thought the woofer was too sluggish to be a good mate for the system. It just so happened that at about the same time he was also reviewing the Audio Research / Magnaplanar Tympani 1D loudspeakers. In a moment of true genius he decided to try to mate the midrange high frequency portion of the Infinity QRS loudspeakers with the Bass panels from the Audio Research / Magnaplanar Tympani 1D loudspeakers and the rest is history.
Resources were limited at the time but he did figure out that the system sounded the best when BI-AMPED and as a crossover he used for the bi-amplification was the Dalquist DQLP1. If I remember correctly the crossover frequency chosen was about 150 Hz.
The combination was an instant success. In many people's opinion this was the first loudspeaker combination ever produced, that even began to approach the sound of LIVE MUSIC. A new name was then COINED for the combination speaker system he just created, and it was called the QRS-1D Hybrid System.
Once this happened, things began to move very quickly. Both Infinity and Audio Research / Magnaplanar took their current products off the market and both set about improving the short comings of each.
For Infinity this lead to the creation of the INFINITY REFERENCE STANDARDS ( IRS ) and for Audio Research / Magnaplanar this lead to the development of the TYMPANI IV's.
For us is the real world this was a great opportunity to BUILD OUR OWN version of the QRS-1D Hybrid System.
I was in Medical School at the time. I knew of Peerless and their development of the EMIT Tweeter for Infinity and KLH and I also knew about STRATHERN in Northern Ireland.
Using the Crewe, VA underground audiophile newspaper the "AUDIOMART" I ran some ads to see if I could interest enough people in helping me import some STRATHERN midranges into the USA from Northern Ireland ,and also went about getting the excess EMIT inventory from Peerless (when Infinity stuck them with it when they went to Japan to have the new EMIM and EMIT speakers manufactured).
I got about 12 people interested and I was eventually able to import, 1st about 24 then 48 and eventually some 96 or so Strathern Miodranges into the USA and I also procurred about 400 EMIT Tweeters from Peerless and ZALYTRON (the people Peerless unloaded them to, when they got stuck with them, when Infinity cancelled their orders and went to Japan to manufacture them). So from about 1982 and 1984 I sent people who were interested the parts to make their own verion of the QRS loudspeakers.
The heart of the speakers always was and always will be the Strathern Midrange Drivers. You could mate them with virtually any woofer to get the bass you needed and if you really desired you could supplement them with the EMIT tweeters for better high end dispersion.
Eventually I graduated from medical school and let Brian Chaney of VMPS Audio fame take over the importing of the Strathern Ribbons into the United States. In a deal to give him the import rights in about 1984, all I really wanted was a few more Strathern's at his cost. He gladly complied and I in turn, turned over the import rights for the Strathern Drivers to him.
I built many speakers using the Strathern Midranges and I will over time post many of them here in this thread. I also know of others from all over the world that did the same and I expect many will post their versions here as well. They kinda all resemble each other.
Of note Mike Desurkio (sp?) of "AUDIO CONCEPTS" also got into the game for a while and made some nice stand alone cabinets available to MAKE YOUR OWN version of the QRS as well. I even have still have a set to this very day.

From INFINITY:
Quantum Reference Standard

Introduced: 1977
Dimensions: 203 x 122 x 61 cm
Bass: 1 x 38 cm
Mids: 3 x EMIRM (Strathearn MRHF)
Highs: 20 x EMIT (7 on the back)
Suggested for amplifiers with: Bass: 150 Watts per channel
Mids/Highs: 100 Watts per channel
Frequency range: 18 Hz - 32 kHz
Crossover frequencies: 100 Hz, 4000 Hz
Suggested price (pair): 6500 $

Please feel free to edit this post and correct the grammer and the spelling. But I at least got it started like I said I would.
So everyone please chime in and enjoy.

Michael Marks

Attachments

• qrs-picture.jpg
    qrs-picture.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 301
  • qrs-strathern.jpg
    qrs-strathern.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 256
  • qrs-emit.jpg
    qrs-emit.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 182
  • QRS_2_1.jpg
    QRS_2_1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 197
  • QRS_3_1.jpg
    QRS_3_1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 187
  • infinity_QRS.jpg
    infinity_QRS.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 509
  • Infinity_qrs_back.jpg
    Infinity_qrs_back.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,409
Home Made QRS - Kurt Buhler - Switzerland

Well folks, it appears that there are two major varients to the way people have built there own versions of the Infinity QRS Speakers.
In one varient like this the speakers are placed in a stand alone column.
The woofer is then housed in a seperate cabinet or structure.
This varient works well and allows for quite varied room placement.
Here is a set built by Kurt Buhler who lives in Switzerland.
Kurt send me these pictures some time back so I am posting them here today for all to see.
I actually built some speakers very simliar to this in 1983.
I will post them as well as soon as I get a chance to dig up the pictures, scan them in, convert them to *.jpg files and upload them to this forum.
Once I do you will see how close our two sets came without knowing each other.
Notice one thing about Kurt's set.
He coverered them completely in FELT to reduce reflections.
This is something I did not do.
So enjoy Kurt's pictures.
I am posting them below.
The pictures include the passive crossover (in a stand alone box) that he made to go between the Strathern Midranges and the Infinity Full Line Source EMIT Tweeters, the Dalquist DQLP1 Crossover, and the Drapery Covering he placed over the speakers for decorative purposes.

Attachments

• QRS-seitlich.jpg
    QRS-seitlich.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 132
  • QRS-hinten.jpg
    QRS-hinten.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 193
  • QRS-vorne-Ausschnitt-Mitte.jpg
    QRS-vorne-Ausschnitt-Mitte.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 292
  • QRS-Paar.jpg
    QRS-Paar.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 381
  • QRS-Weiche.jpg
    QRS-Weiche.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 174
  • QRS-Stoff-1.jpg
    QRS-Stoff-1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 126
  • vorne-1.jpg
    vorne-1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 178
  • hinten-1.jpg
    hinten-1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 133
QRS-1D Varient previously posted by CHARIVARI

This is the second varient of how many of us built our QRS-1D varients. In this method the QRS structure once built is actually attached in some way, to the Audio Research / Magnaplanar Tympani 1D speakers or at least the Bass Panels of them to make a completed unit.
This has the advantage of simplicity and that the bass panels can actually act as part of the wing structure that prevents the 180 degrees out of phase rear wave from the Strathern Midrange from interfering and canceling out the 0 degrees front wave.
These varients and often be made to stand up by themselves.
Room placement is often somewhat more limited, but the ease in which these home brews go together makes this variation simple to construct and always popular. Also sice the bass panels act as wings the cost of building the free standing structure to house the midranges is avoided markedly reducing the time it takes to manufacture these, and also avoids the need for superior wood working skills often needed to make the other style of stand alone uprights more difficult to constuct.
Again these are very similar to many QRS-1D varients I built from 1983 to date and I do not know who built these or when.
It just goes to show you that great minds think alike.
When I post my varients of this style you will be quite struck at how similar these all are, without even know each other.
So also enjoy this picture and I want to thank Charivari for making it available to me and us.

Attachments

• QRS1D-1.jpg
    QRS1D-1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 317
The Stand Alone QRS Varient I built in 1983

As I stated earlier I too made some stand alone QRS varients that are almost identical to the ones the Kurt Buhler in Switzerland made and we did not even know of each other back then. We both came up with the design independently. It is really suprising how similar they really are when you study them.
Mine of course I made out of Solid Teak.
I also used my special DIPOLE EMIT's that I build myself.
To make them you take two original Infinity / Peerless EMIT's apart, and reassemble them FRONT - Diapharam - FRONT to make them a true DIPOLE.
That means from every two EMIT's you start with you only end up with one, but since the EMIT's now radiates in DIPOLE fashon out of the front and the back, it makes up for the need to put tweeters on the rear of the speakers facing backward and thus makes up for at least some of the extra expense.
For these speakers I started with 60 Half Line Source EMITS and rebuilt 30 DIPOLE ones. I then used 15 per side. While these pictures show only the speakers with the grills in place I do have some that show the RAW drivers as well and when I dig them up I will add to this post.
Anyway, these speakers are now in Stamford, CT at Geoffrey Berg's house.
I sold them to him in 2000 when I bought my first set of real Infinity IRS Series III speakers.
He is pictured in one of the photographs. The speakers still sound great and he loves them. I love them too and I still get to hear them every time I go to visit.
So enjoy these pictures. As I dug out the old pictures to scan them in I looked at all the dates on the photographs. These photographs and speakers were make in 1984.

Attachments

• left-1.jpg
    left-1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 167
  • Geoffrey.jpg
    Geoffrey.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 220
  • right-1.jpg
    right-1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 130
  • qrs-teak-5.jpg
    qrs-teak-5.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 250
  • qrs-teak-4.jpg
    qrs-teak-4.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 132
  • qrs-teak-3.jpg
    qrs-teak-3.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 168
  • qrs-teak-2.jpg
    qrs-teak-2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 152
  • qrs-teak-1.jpg
    qrs-teak-1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 219
  • qrs-teak-6.jpg
    qrs-teak-6.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 101
  • qrs-teak-7.jpg
    qrs-teak-7.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 205
QRS-1D Hybrid Systems I built from 1982-1984

Here are some of my INFINITY QRS-1D Hybrid systems I built between 1982 and 1984. As I scanned in these pictures tonight I looked at the actual photo dates and relived some of the good old times in my memory. There is even a picture of me there, when I was a half naked hippie.
See how similar my original QRS-1D design looks when compared to the picture Charivari previously posted. The speakers are almost identical.
These speakers eventually evolved from their simplest form, 3 Strathern Ribbons per side, and eventually included the Audio Research / Magnaplanar Tympani 1-D woofers and the Infinity EMIT tweeters.
Eventually I rebuilt the tweeters in DIPOLE format and finally these dissappeared evolving into the stand alone TEAK speaker columns I previously posted earlier in this section.
I will post even more later on.
Speakers I built for other people over this time period.
For now, enjoy these photos and think about what you too can do with a little time and effort.

Attachments

• michael-1.jpg
    michael-1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 114
  • arnold-00.jpg
    arnold-00.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 144
  • m-1.jpg
    m-1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 99
  • michael-0.jpg
    michael-0.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 175
  • michael-01.jpg
    michael-01.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 105
  • mike-01.jpg
    mike-01.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 148
  • mike-02.jpg
    mike-02.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 289
  • michael-4.jpg
    michael-4.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 86
  • michael-2.jpg
    michael-2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 93
  • michael-3.jpg
    michael-3.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 97
  • mike-03.jpg
    mike-03.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 108
Speakers I built for Arnold Wiseman

Here is the evolutionary process involving the QRS-1D Hybrid Speakers I built for Arnold Wiseman of Washington, DC in 1982/83.
These evolved similar to mine but never beacame stand alone columns.
These always remained attached to the Tympani 1-D woofer panels for simplicity.

Attachments

• arnold-000.jpg
    arnold-000.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 94
  • arnold-1.jpg
    arnold-1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 118
  • arnold-0a.jpg
    arnold-0a.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 77
  • arnold-2.jpg
    arnold-2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 95
QRS-1D Hybrid Speakers I made for Nathan Tickel in 1982

Here are the speakers I made for Nathan Tickel in 1982. Nathan was on a budget and as you recall the tweeters are not really necessary. The tweeters just add high end dispersion not high end frequency respose and he did not have the extra money to spend and he was quite happy with the result. So was I. Notce also how we used the spare wing of the Tympani 1-D speakers as an extra baffle for the midranges. It ended up working quite well and I've done the same trick several times since then. It really simplifies construction and makes use of all the product lying around without discarding anything or spending time and money building something unnecessary that you already have to start with....so why not use it...right?

Attachments

• nathan-2.jpg
    nathan-2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 123
  • nathan-1.jpg
    nathan-1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 227
Bobby Sattin's 1983 Version using Audio Concepts Cabinets

Bob and I talked Michael Debukio (sp?) at Audio Concepts into making these cabinets special for Bobby Sattin so he could use them in stand alone custom speakers. Bobby was cost consious, never felt the tweeters were necessary, as I previous stated and decided to do without them in this, the final version of his speakers. He used Large Advent Speakers for the Woofers and is still to this day quite happy with the result. He still ownes them today, 24 years later and they sound better tha ever....still state of the art even at today's standards.

Attachments

• sattin-1.jpg
    sattin-1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 212
  • sattin-2.jpg
    sattin-2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 113
  • sattin-3.jpg
    sattin-3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 136
  • sattin-4.jpg
    sattin-4.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 112
IRS Series III's and IRS Series V's

In my opinion if it were not for the Strathern speakers made in Northern Ireland and the Infinity QRS that Arnie Nudell made out of them there would never have been EMIT's and then EMIM's.
Without EMIM's there would never have been the IRS Series of speakers, no RS series (RS-1, RS-1a, RS-1b, RS 1.5, RS 2.5a, RS 2.5b, RS 4.5b), and no IRS Beta, IRS Gamma, or IRS Delta, etc.

So you might as well go here as well:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63523&page=12

to learn about some of these speakers.
As they were, in my humble opinion, all inpired by the original QRS'.

Strathern Information thanks to John Lipp Ph.D.

While I was going through all my papers organizing material for this posting I ran across some old information I dug up on the Strathern Drivers that John Lipp, Ph.D. posted on his web site back in 1999.
This is very useful information and also very informative.
So provided here are two links to his site.
The first one is a test set up he used to make some measurements of the Strathern Drivers with his observations, test results and conclusions.

http://www.lippaudio.org/Strathearne/intro.html

The second one is a copy of the Manual that VARIS AUDIO provided with the STRATHERN DRIVERS when they bagan to resell them.

http://www.lippaudio.org/Strathearne/manual.html

Both are very informative and useful so I post them here to share and to make them easy for all to find.

Tracking Down the EMIT Tweeters in 1982

In 1982 I set about tracking down some original Infinity / Peerless EMIT tweeters so I could build, and help others build, the QRS-1D speaker systems.

I dug out some of my original notes and scanned them in and have posted them here for all to now see.

It appears that I was on a mailing list for the company Universal Sound out of Sarasota, Florida.

They bought some surplus EMIT's from Peerless when Infinity canceled their contact with Peerless, leaving Peerless with excess inventory.

Once I knew this I was able to contact Janet Baker at Peerless and find out that Peerless sold the excess EMIT inventory to Universal Sound, Zalytron, Toutant Electric and International TV Company.

I contacted each for quantity and pricing and ended up purchasing a large number of EMITs for my projects from Zalyton.

Here is some of the original information I dug up in 1982 which I am now making readily available for eveyone to finally see.

Attachments

• front03.jpg
    front03.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 162
  • front02.jpg
    front02.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 168
  • front01a.jpg
    front01a.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 189
# 902-0206 Dome Midtoners

What a nice and comprehensive outline. I own for many many years Quantum 4. However, the midtoners are in a terminal stage# 902-0206 Dome Midtoners. Suggestions to handle this issue are welcome.

Great information and pictures. Thank you much for taking the time to post them. Shame this DIY hybrid approach has fallen out of common knowledge such that people ooh and ah over every new model that is but a stripped down copy. I quite enjoy looking through the pictures and seeing commonalities with other designs being implemented.

I described my own QRS inspired here.

For some more information, I'll add scans of the original QRS review article that noted the bass and midbass integration difficulties as well as the internet republication of the original hybrid QRS-1D article by HP.

Review:

- JP

Attachments

• QRS1D.pdf
    143.8 KB · Views: 88
Way to go Dr Mark. Experimentation and adventures in Hi-Fi are what it's all about. You have been down at least one road that some may choose to follow :)

With the constant evolution of cone drivers for bass and lower mid-range since the 1980s, what would a smaller system look like today? Smaller enclosures that might blend with furnishings? I'm thinking woofers about a foot off the floor, mid's about belt buckle high and dispersion tweeter above that? Still keep the rear firing elements? What would placement look like?

Audio Concepts QRS-1D Hybrid

These are in my bedroom in Bowling Green, KY. The left and right front channels are Apogee Diva's (which we will talk about later), the front center is a single STRATHERN in a sealed box, with an impedance matching transformer, and these Audio Concepts Cabinets house a stacked set of Strathern's which are mated with a set of Audio Research / Magnaplanar Tympani 1-D woofers to make the hybrid system for the rear surround sound channels.

The Apogee Diva's are Bi-amped, the front center channel has it own amp., and these rear QRS 1-D's are also bi-amped. I use 150 Hz as the crossover frequency between the Tympani 1-D woofer panels and the Strathern midranges. There are no tweeters. As I said before the tweeters are really not needed and this cabinet from Audio Concepts did not provide room for them.

Attachments

• IM001452a.jpg
    IM001452a.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IM001445a.jpg
    IM001445a.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IM001446a.jpg
    IM001446a.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 80
  • IM001447a.jpg
    IM001447a.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IM001448a.jpg
    IM001448a.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 137
The Infinity EMIM and the IRS Series III

Nest in the evolutionally process came the Infinity EMIM (Electro Magnetic Induction Midrange) speaker. Fashioned after the Strathern Midrange and simply just a large EMIT (Electro Magnetic Induction Tweeter) it only slightly modified the original Strathern Midrange design.

It used five rows of magnets front and back instead of three. It was only seven inches long instead of 24 inches long. It used Samarium Cobalt magnets instead of Ceramic Magnets. The voice coil was etched into both the front and back of the diaphragm instead of only the front. The trace used for the voice coil was made narrower and longer ( a slightly different design - but it acts in exactly the same way) to increase the impedance from 0.55 Ohms to 3 Ohms. This improved mechanical reliability (the magents no longer came off in shipment) but rivits used in connecting the front trace to the back trace of the diaphragm voice coils proved to be a weak point in the design and to this day still present end users all kinds of "IMPEDANCE" problems. The Infinity EMIT also suffers from this issue but no where near as bad as the EMIM. (More on this later).

Anyway, Arnie Nudell stoped using the Strathern Midrange and instead used this propriotory design that I am assuming he and his partners came up with in the late 1970's. So from here on out....no more Strathern's...and proprioratory Infintiy EMIM and EMIT drivers were used in the Infinity line. These also evolved into other drivers like the LEMIM but we will talk more about that later.

So now is the time to present the Infinty IRS Series III speakers which eventually evolved form the Infinity QRS (Quantum Line Source).

So here they are:

Attachments

• IM001457a.jpg
    IM001457a.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IM001456a.jpg
    IM001456a.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 110
  • IM001455a.jpg
    IM001455a.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IM001454a.jpg
    IM001454a.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IM001453a.jpg
    IM001453a.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 125
Jason Bloom and the Apogee Speaker Line

Jason Bloom and some other guys....I am sure someone will remind me who they are...were members of the Boston Audio Society and engineers in the Boston, Massachusetts area. We all learned about the QRS-1D Hybrids at about the same time. He and his cohorts had the good fortune of being primed to do it right. So he and his guys set up Apogee Acoustics in Randolph, Massachusetts and started with the original Strathern design and sought to make it from a PSEUDO RIBBON (Electro Magnetic Induction Planar Speaker) into a true ribbon speaker....or come at least as close as they could.
Remember the Strathern from which the original Apogee Speakers were modeled from was only 0.55 Ohms. Using this model all the first Apogee speakers were quite low impedance. Most were in the 1 Ohm range.
In my opinion it was the need for a very clean high powered amplifier to drive these speakers that allowed Krell to prosper. Krell and Apogee fed of each other and in the 80's and 90's both prospered as Apogee made the speakers and Krell made the amps to make our desires a reality.
And so they say...the rest is history.
Apogee also looked at other designers who were playing with the electro magnetic planar speaker concept and eventually realized that by making the voice coil traces longer and thinner (by doubling them and tripling them up) they could raise the impedance of the ribbon to a more reasonable level.
They also came up with a woofer design similar to the Magnaplanar speaker to solve the bass problem.
In my opinion one of their very best designs was the Apogee Diva...of which I have a perfect pair.
Eventually Apogee went out of business....I do not know why....but their speakers are great and still have a very strong following.

Go here if so inclined to learn more about these great speakers:

http://www.apogeespeakers.com

These did indeed evolve from the QRS 1-D speakers. So they are a valid contrabution here..so for everyone to enjoy...here are my Apogee Diva's.
Sorry for the bad first picture. Light was funny. I'll try to get a better one soon. In the mean time you can at least enjoy these.
The last picture was my set up in 1998 when I lived in Dunn Loring, Virginia (before my divorce).

Attachments

• IM001451a.jpg
    IM001451a.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IM001449a.jpg
    IM001449a.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IM001450a.jpg
    IM001450a.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 110
  • michael_marks_divas_big.jpg
    michael_marks_divas_big.jpg