Kenwood TK 66?

Rat44

Seen one at local thrift.Was this a tube unit?Was wondering if it was worth grabbing.Don't know much about Kenwoods.:scratch2:

KT-66 maybe? I've never heard of it, but most kenwood stuff I've seen starts with "K"

The TK series was from between 67 and 1971. The 66 dates from about the same time as the 140x toze has.

The only faults I've found with the kenwoods are dead IF strips in the tuner and lots of dried up caps. They are great for summer projects when all you want to do is replace capacitors. They also look kinda neat.

I had a 140x that had a pretty decent amp, but the tuner would always keep breaking down. Better stuff out there as far as build quality goes. Kenwood was competing with pioneer and sansui at the time and unfortunately they cost cost in quite a few critical areas. Open up a kenwood, pioneer, and sansui of the same time period and the build of the kenwoods aren't very good comparatively speaking.

I have a mint faceplate and knobs if someone wants them. I will give them to whoever does.

Yep TK was the prefix of earlier Kenwood receivers. I have a TK-88. Still works fine, but I think I would look for something a little newer.

I picked one up a while back, and it worked fine. If it was used semi regularly and not sitting idle, but not overused/overdriven to the point where it gets hot the life of the caps seems to be greater as I've found. I've got a very very old Concord Mk-10 probably older than this one, using tranny coupled outputs and it works just fine, I've had it hooked up to my computer for years. IIRC I paid the standard $8.98 for it and wouldn't really spend much more. Just something different to try.

Back
Top Bottom