• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec 19's - just bought from original owner

All of my 802-8g's that are in my 19's have no label, just a printed number 33952 or 033952
one even has an older style round cover,but still with the same number printed on it
willie
 
Mystery JBL Speaker Cabinets

Good Day Everyone,

An replacement Altec diaphragm went for nearly $100 again today on our favorite auction site, for a few minutes I though I found a bargain.

Prior to my purchase of the Altec 19's I had purchased a set of solid cherry wood cabinets (32" x 20" x 29") which formerly held speaker drivers.
Front and back are 3/4" plywood with bracing. Drivers were mounted with proper threaded fasteners, insulation and even wires were in cabinet when purchased. Doors open 180 degrees as shown so they are out of the way while in use.
Owner told me they were about 50 years old (the gentlemen was 75+) and contained JBL D130 woofers, 075 tweeters and another midrange horn (see photos). Rear plywood piece has cutouts for 2 old school large crossovers.
Not sure this is the best place to post this but thought you may be interested in this find.
Now that the 19's are here the wood will be stripped, oiled and they will likely turn back into furniture for a future ensuite walkthrough closet/bathroom renovation unless someone says "hey those are insert name of speaker here cabinets".

Regards... Gil :music:
 

Attachments

  • #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 33
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 38
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 46
Wow, even more Altec fans with more information...

Don't think I would have taken the plunge for much more cash than I paid. Not that these are not worth it, just that I have purchased many speakers over the years and results vary if you can't sit down and listen for enough time to allow you to reach a good decision.

The owner of these toasted his older equipment so he had them hooked up to a CD player, then through the TV and then to an cheap reciever powering the Altecs. From what they sounded like I would NEVER have bought them if I didn't know more about these fine speakers.

My past experience with horns has not been great so again had the price not been so good I may not have made the move. What did help is a friend of mine who owns 2 pair of 19's (and just one NOS Valencia which is looking for a partner) who keeps raving about them.

On another topic, my wife and I were in Aus (mainly Brisbane) for 3-1/2 weeks 3 years ago in March. I love Brisbane and we travelled the sunshine coast down to near NSW border and up. Even got to Cairns to do some snorkeling and rode the Caranda (spelling?) Railway. Great country - my uncle and aunt moved from Moose Jaw Saskatchewan (yes is on planet earth) in Canada to Aus and have never come back !!!

In process or rearranging audio equip and am waiting for diaphragm (took old one out, quite easy) so I can have a listen again. Also my horn has no label on the back showing model number... is this normal? I could take other one out and look, maybe they forgot to put it on or maybe they stopped doing this in the later days.

Take care and thanks everyone... feel free to post if you have ideas, want pics, etc.

Gil

Gil,
It's not all that often that I get to converse with an US AKer who has made their way down here,let alone one who has been to the Sunshine Coast. :no:
As you would have seen,it's a gorgeous place to live.Again as you have seen South East Queensland is a pretty amazing place in general.
It's not at all surprising that outdoor pursuits are mighty popular here.There's an almost infinite variety of gorgeous beaches,national parks,waterways and hideaways to keep a person occupied for the rest of their life.
Spice-up that mix with sharks(biguns),poisonous snakes,poisonous jellyfish,poisonous octopuses,poisonous spiders,poisonous fish,sandflies,mosquitoes,dingoes and up north the crocodiles(ultra yikes),there's enough going-on around here that it's pretty hard to get bored with the place where one lives.
Nature in abundance. :thmbsp:
Now,if only there were a dozen shops selling new vinyl here,it really would be just what the doctor ordered. :D :thmbsp:

Back to the topic at hand.
Get the diaphragms from GPA.Play your wife's favourite music,and watch her warm to the 19s. :yes: :D
 
Let's hope I can repair your original 23744 light!!

Dave,

Yes, that would be great.
Is the 23744 a very low wattage version diaphragm?
I had heard that the 26420 is the high wattage version and still sounds good... is that essentially it or does there seem to be a shared opinion about these.

Also if you have a moment, see my latest post regarding some speaker cabinets that I picked up in Michigan. They are VERY well build but may be a modified cabinet used for speakers. If they are just wood cabinets they will soon be bathroom cabinets. Solid cherry seems to be a bit odd for speaker boxes.

Get the shovel out, here comes the snow :eek:
 
Dave,

Yes, that would be great.
Is the 23744 a very low wattage version diaphragm?
I had heard that the 26420 is the high wattage version and still sounds good... is that essentially it or does there seem to be a shared opinion about these.

Also if you have a moment, see my latest post regarding some speaker cabinets that I picked up in Michigan. They are VERY well build but may be a modified cabinet used for speakers. If they are just wood cabinets they will soon be bathroom cabinets. Solid cherry seems to be a bit odd for speaker boxes.

Get the shovel out, here comes the snow :eek:
The 23744 (15 watt) had extended high frequency response but the suspension leads failed on many so Altec redesigned the phragms with different suspension leads and push-on wire connectors. Wattage wise, the 26420 supposedly had extended capacity (30 watts) and good high frequency response, later 26420's were made by Radian and marketed by Electro-Voice., I have the Altec and Radian versions, the differences are subtle. The M19 has extended power capacity (125 watts) because it's crossed over at 1200hz with an 18db slope.

No snow here in Michigan, we're too far west!!


Later model 26420 and Radian 1228-8;
Altec_26420_Radian_1228-8_01.jpg

Altec_26420_Radian_1228-8_02.jpg
 
update - 19's are back up and running (but one is crawling)

The 23744 (15 watt) had extended high frequency response but the suspension leads failed on many so Altec redesigned the phragms with different suspension leads and push-on wire connectors. Wattage wise, the 26420 supposedly had extended capacity (30 watts) and good high frequency response, later 26420's were made by Radian and marketed by Electro-Voice., I have the Altec and Radian versions, the differences are subtle. The M19 has extended power capacity (125 watts) because it's crossed over at 1200hz with an 18db slope.

:thmbsp: Thanks for the reply Dave.
As I type another Altec 26420 on our favourite auction site approaches $50.
It make me hope that my 23744 can be repaired after my listening tonight.
The diaphragms I ordered from Arizona work well but DO NOT have the extended high range of the 23744. :no:
It is very noticeable as the 19's have moved to a new room in the house... seems the main floor living room was not meant to be.
They are in a room I just renovated to make larger by removing a closet. The room had a poor sound previously but is quite good now that it is larger with hardwood floor and a great rug to dampen the reflected sound.

To cut to the chase, the users here including you were correct that the aftermarket diaphragms are not as good (reduced upper frequency range) for home use but would likely be great for PA, DJ and similar use. I may try to sell them, yes I purchase 2 just in case I damaged one during installation as this is the first time I have done this.

The 19's still are awesome especially with jazz, live music and have terrific lower frequency response...:scratch2: something to do with cabinet size I bet.
 
The 23744 arrived today with a pair of speaker terminals, were those supposed to be in there?? :scratch2: I'll check out the phragm Friday night, looks good so far, Dave. :yes:
 
The 23744 arrived today with a pair of speaker terminals, were those supposed to be in there?? :scratch2:

Hi Dave,
Great news.

Yes, I needed a few pair of terminals so I purchased a lot quantity (100 pcs) of these terminals surplus on line for a great price. They are not the best terminals I have ever seen but they are good quality so I have sold some and am always willing to share the wealth with others... hope you can use them and I will send another set if you need.

Checked out your page on speakers, light bulbs, the theatre and old car... don't thing you need to take up any new hobbies just yet, suprised you found time to do what you have so far.

Also, I bought an old Canadian console stereo this week as it has a nice old low wattage tube amp inside... guess now after a 20 year hiatus (other than a few breaks per year) my electronics hobby resurfaces...
I have been building subwoofers up until lately so the Altecs are sending me in a direction 180 degrees from that.

Finally... GREAT low frequency response in my new listening room on the 19's.
I am truly impressed.
 
Hi Dave,
Great news.

Yes, I needed a few pair of terminals so I purchased a lot quantity (100 pcs) of these terminals surplus on line for a great price. They are not the best terminals I have ever seen but they are good quality so I have sold some and am always willing to share the wealth with others... hope you can use them and I will send another set if you need.

Checked out your page on speakers, light bulbs, the theatre and old car... don't thing you need to take up any new hobbies just yet, suprised you found time to do what you have so far.

Also, I bought an old Canadian console stereo this week as it has a nice old low wattage tube amp inside... guess now after a 20 year hiatus (other than a few breaks per year) my electronics hobby resurfaces...
I have been building subwoofers up until lately so the Altecs are sending me in a direction 180 degrees from that.

Finally... GREAT low frequency response in my new listening room on the 19's.
I am truly impressed.
Way cool, I can use those jacks, they work well with the banana jacks I use. Good news on the diaphragm front, I managed to repair it, it came out at 7.0 ohms, the other wire lead was re-enforced with a coating as it looked like it was ready break too. I'll test it in an 802 driver before shipping it back today, enjoy, Dave. :thmbsp:

Altec_23744_Canada_01.jpg


Altec_23744_Canada_02.jpg


Altec_23744_Canada_04.jpg


Altec_23744_Canada_03.jpg
 
djwojo nice photo work as usual, do you also do weddings?

Weddings, who told you?? :scratch2: I used to do wedding photography about 30 years ago!! I just use a cheapo A460 Cannon camera I bought on-line from Crutchfield for $79 new. :yes:
 
Coool Find , Nice score....

As an owner of 2 pair of Altec 19s (1 in oak and the other pair in Walnut) I compleatly understand the WAF , IN a HUGE way. You should have seen her face when I told her I bought another pair... I ALMOST picked up a 3rd pair that was down the street from me , but my buddy nailed them first, besides, im not sure what the WAF would have turned out to be...lol.... I may have been living on my 19s..... Congrats again...MJ:thmbsp:
 
My cousin John is an original owner of the AL model 19's from the early 70's. He's been a hard core audio head for all these years, even constructed a dedicated audio room to his dimesnions. WAF was big!

His system now incorporates a pr of janis sub woofers - no he is not a bass hound nor does his setup even remotely sound thumpy. The subs really provide a beautifully smooth and deep low end.

Interestingly, he now has a krell preamp because it has a parametics eq which smooths out some kind of db hump - don't really know. It also I think, according to him, helps with the room eq.

Since finding the AK forum, I spoke with him how there are many knowledgeable people who have the 19's. H's interested in seeking advise on a refreshening of his XO. What might the new sound charateristics be? Has anyone done this? He mentioned GPA and how he sent something to them years ago. But he really would like some actual feed back

I plan on having an audio/beer night at his place this saturday, so I'll take pics to post here for you guys.

BTW, his dad purchase a single speaker (mono back then) called a Premiere back in the early 50's from a guy who use to work at Altec, but went out on his own. Hebuilt the brand using all altec components. Does anyone know or have information about this speaker too?

Thanks
 
Altec 19's * back to their original sound *

djwojo nice photo work as usual, do you also do weddings?

WOW !

Sorry about the caps but I am excited :yippy:

More than just a good photographer, the repaired diaphragm sounds just like the other one so I once again have an excellent sounding pair of tweeters.

Just got them today after work and went right home installed them and am still listening to music since about 7:00 (3 hours). Have gone from jazz to rock to bluegrass and back around again listening to some favorites. A bit of Dire Straights now at a happy level before my wife gets home.

Sorry for not writing earlier but have been sick as a dog... just getting my ears opened up from a virus so the timing could not be better.

Thanks very much Dave, your work here is awesome :thmbsp:

ps - the tube amp I pulled from a Viking console stereo sounds GREAT with the Nineteens, just need to pretty it up a bit. Have since moved all of the solid state stuff out of my new 2 channel listening room and back to the main floor home theatre setup... good old 2 channel dedicated listening is still the best.
 
WOW !

Sorry about the caps but I am excited :yippy:

More than just a good photographer, the repaired diaphragm sounds just like the other one so I once again have an excellent sounding pair of tweeters.

Just got them today after work and went right home installed them and am still listening to music since about 7:00 (3 hours). Have gone from jazz to rock to bluegrass and back around again listening to some favorites. A bit of Dire Straights now at a happy level before my wife gets home.

Sorry for not writing earlier but have been sick as a dog... just getting my ears opened up from a virus so the timing could not be better.

Thanks very much Dave, your work here is awesome :thmbsp:

ps - the tube amp I pulled from a Viking console stereo sounds GREAT with the Nineteens, just need to pretty it up a bit. Have since moved all of the solid state stuff out of my new 2 channel listening room and back to the main floor home theatre setup... good old 2 channel dedicated listening is still the best.

Hmmm, sounds like you're happy, I'm glad to have helped you out, saving a 23744 Lite is always worth the effort and challenge!!
Hope your feeling better and really enjoying these fine speakers, I'm glad it sounds the same as the other, unfortunately I've had a few where the repaired diaphragm actually sounded better than an original, not sure why that can happen but it does on occasion. Dave. :yes:
 
Hmmm, sounds like you're happy, I'm glad to have helped you out, saving a 23744 Lite is always worth the effort and challenge!!
Hope your feeling better and really enjoying these fine speakers, I'm glad it sounds the same as the other, unfortunately I've had a few where the repaired diaphragm actually sounded better than an original, not sure why that can happen but it does on occasion. Dave. :yes:

Dave,

I thought it was just me but it may actually sound a bit better than the other one, I thought I was hearing things and can't believe you even brought it up :scratch2:

Will need to do more listening I guess (not a bad thing).

I am thinking of attending AudioKarmaFest due to it's close proximity... what can I expect to see (hear) there?

I am not a high dollar audio guy just someone who really enjoys great quality equipment. In fact, the tube amp I now have which cost me $15 has me rethinking the DIY side of home audio once again as I used to build some of my own equipment back in the day (which for me was early 80's).

Gil
 
Dave,

I thought it was just me but it may actually sound a bit better than the other one, I thought I was hearing things and can't believe you even brought it up :scratch2:

Will need to do more listening I guess (not a bad thing).

I am thinking of attending AudioKarmaFest due to it's close proximity... what can I expect to see (hear) there?

I am not a high dollar audio guy just someone who really enjoys great quality equipment. In fact, the tube amp I now have which cost me $15 has me rethinking the DIY side of home audio once again as I used to build some of my own equipment back in the day (which for me was early 80's).

Gil
Repaired sounds better, sorry I brought it up, I also heard it when I tested it, I wrote it off as the test driver just having a better charged alnico magnet.

The fest is awesome, the real question is what you won't see!! Keep in mind, we are analog two channel "stereo" nuts, expect to see mostly stereo gear, not much in the way of home theatre gear. All the best brands will be there showing off their wares, there's thousands of AK members who envy us that live so close so take advantage of it!! I can't wait, I attended the 1st two, missed two and now I booked a demo room for my Altec A7's or 604's, haven't decided which to bring yet. Glad you're enjoying your Altecs and it was repairable, hopefully your crossover caps are good, Dave. :thmbsp:

Pics from 2005; AK Fest 2005
 
Way cool, I can use those jacks, they work well with the banana jacks I use. Good news on the diaphragm front, I managed to repair it, it came out at 7.0 ohms, the other wire lead was re-enforced with a coating as it looked like it was ready break too. I'll test it in an 802 driver before shipping it back today, enjoy, Dave. :thmbsp:

Altec_23744_Canada_01.jpg


Altec_23744_Canada_02.jpg


Altec_23744_Canada_04.jpg


Altec_23744_Canada_03.jpg

How far can those diaphrams move up and down, just a bit worried about the wire not being flexable enought.
 
Back
Top Bottom