JBL L100 woofer surround repair advice

jbpollock

Does anyone have a suggestion for repairing the surround on a JBL L100 woofer? I picked up a pair the other day and one has about a 2 cm rip/hole in it. The hole is only in the surround, the cone is fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I had a sneaking suspicion that people would want pics. i found my backup camera (my regular camera got left at the beach). As soon as the battery is charged I will post a picture.

Sounds like an easy fix. Simply apply some clear surround dope at the damage area. If it is actually a hole.....do the same....then apply a small piece of very thin and lightweight black cloth pressed into the "accordion" , material you can actually see through....onto the applied dope. then cover patch with some more thinned dope.

I'm thinking a tiny piece of black pantyhose might work.

Russ

Sounds like an easy fix. Simply apply some clear surround dope at the damage area. If it is actually a hole.....do the same....then apply a small piece of very thin and lightweight black cloth pressed into the "accordion" , material you can actually see through....onto the applied dope. then cover patch with some more thinned dope.

I'm thinking a tiny piece of black pantyhose might work.

Russ

That sounds like a good advice and if mine had such damage that's how I'd fixe them.

If you find that your surrounds have deteriorated, that hole may be the beginning to the end of them. If so, this link is to a great tutorial:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=469

I am in the process of refoaming my L127h lf drivers out of my JBL 4410's:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20419

This forum is a little different in that the most recent posts appear first, LIFO style.

tensleep, FYI, the L100 uses an 123A- variant woofer that has an impregnated cloth pleated, accordion-style surround as opposed to the foam surrounds. They don't generally fail, but sometimes get damaged and need repair.

BTW, 4410's - great pair of JBL's. I have a set of 4410A and they image exceptionally well.

Cheers!

Thanks for the advise so far. Here is the requested picture.

PDR_0214.jpg

Thanks for the edumacation, brutal! Is that the Aquaplas surround you are referring to?

Look at jbpollock's pic. The white coating on the woofer cone is Aquaplas. Sometimes applied to the backs of cones. It adds mass and rigidity to the cone.

The old cream colored surround that turned yellow-ish with age on early LE14, LE8, etc. were Lansalloy.

Cheers!

Thanks for the advise so far. Here is the requested picture.

Ouch, looks like a piece missing.

If so, it's probably time for a re-surround. Yes, this can be done on fabric-surround woofers. I've done a number of them. Not really any more difficult than a re-foam, other than needing to have the proper surround dope (sticky coating) to put on them once they're done.

Now, the sticky coating can be a problem... the compound I use comes in large (quart) cans, and seems to very quickly harden/go bad if it's put into small ("individual use") containers. This means that this coating will probably have to be put on by a speaker-repair shop (i.e, someone who would have a quantity-container) on hand...

If, OTOH, the apparently missing piece is present, you can try re-gluing it... but, with those, with that sticky coating, I find that you have a hard time matching the stiffness (VERY soft, originally) of the original surround... it might make for irregular movement of the surround (which might or might not be audible, it's a crap-shoot)...

If it were mine, I'd replace the surround. That's a very good woofer, and the recone kit is very expensive... I do whatever I can to preserve those original cone assemblies, whenever possible- keep 'em in tip-top shape, as they're pretty much "not making them like that anymore"...

Regards,
Gordon.

If you ever have reason to travel up I-45, Freeman-Tuell Speaker Service in Dallas does great work, and is a JBL Pro service center.

Sounds like I do, in fact, need to ship this woofer to Gordon. (Gordon, I will PM you regarding the details of shipping, etc.) Is there any reason, soundwise, to replace the surround on the non-damaged speaker to have a matching pair?

Also below is a picture of the tweeter, an original LE25. (apparently they were both damaged when something tipped over and they were being played without grills) A friend has given me an LE25-2 as a replacement. Hopefully I won't be able to hear the difference?

I ordered a Mirage tweeter from Freeman-Tuell and had a great experience with them.

PDR_0215.jpg

Looks like LE-26 in the pic, but factory replacement diaphragms for LE25 and -1 are $76, -2 is $78, and LE26, $64....

Thanks for the information on the recone. I thought I had read that LE25 (original, not 2 or 4) were unavailable. I double checked and they are labeled LE25.

It's on the current JBL Pro transducer parts list, so, implicitly, any authorized service center can restore it to original factory condition and spec. :yes:

IME, the LE25 and LE25-2 sound pretty much exactly alike. JBL claims they use different re-cone kits... but they sound the same in-speaker, at least to my ears.

So, IMHO... using one LE25 and one LE25-2 in a pair of L100 should work. Worst case, you might have to adjust (SLIGHTLY) one of the tweeter level controls to match the other... that's the whole extent of any differences you might encounter...

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom