Minimus 7 Loudspeakers - Measurements

Your cabs came out beautifully!

My guess is that the larger box will improve the bass response somewhat, but not control the woofer excursion as well as the original, because the air spring is bigger, and thus more compliant.

Excursion factor has been a worry all a long. What I have found is how the woofer reacts (or com-plise) to the baffle. What I have noticed during crirical listening is a certain amount of chuffing congruant with the small woofer, I solved this by sealing the driver to the baffle and also dissolving internal "air spring" with my own dampening material as well as directional manipulation of air movement.

Given that they later released a ported version, you may be all right with that, but we'd have to know the woofer T/S parameters and run the box sims to be sure. Others here may have more of an intuitive feel for this from experience than me; I go by the numbers, basically.... :dunno:

I think a ported design will add a certain amount of volume to the lower end, already achived by your new mod. The question then becomes < when is enough enough<
I am currently working on a 8" sub with 80 watts of power. I picked it up at Good will. A solid amp with a week cabinet. I am shooting for Upper threw low 20"s to start, then hopefully lower.
Hey you are the # man. I truely do admire the work.

I think a ported design will add a certain amount of volume to the lower end, already achived by your new mod. The question then becomes < when is enough enough<
I am currently working on a 8" sub with 80 watts of power. I picked it up at Good will. A solid amp with a week cabinet. I am shooting for Upper threw low 20"s to start, then hopefully lower.
Hey you are the # man. I truely do admire the work.

Porting it should not change the general tonal balance, it will just provide a bit more low end extension and power handling around the tuning frequency, less below the tuning freq. I'd tune in the low 40s, perhaps as high as 55 Hz max.

I've had a few days to listen to these puppies and let me tell you this mod is amazing. Turns good office speakers into great office speakers. You guys have outdone yourself :beerchug:

I've not tried them pulled out from the walls but I'd expect decent imaging, and overall sound when used with subs. I expect that the PB XO will work better away from walls.

I've not tried them pulled out from the walls but I'd expect decent imaging, and overall sound when used with subs. I expect that the PB XO will work better away from walls.

I'm running them on stands at ear level in free space with zero boundary reinforcement. Imaging is there! I can't really get away with a sub here at work.

I used to use 4 Minimus 7's in the back dash of a Ford Mavarick powered by Pioneer component car stereo system including 2 GM-120 ( iI think that was the model number ) back in my College years.

I know that this is not relavant but I just wanting to say that.:music:

I had a buddy that used them in his truck too. His name was Tom as well. You aren't from Ann Arbor are you Tom?

No. Northeast. But we did use those Minimus 7 in a van once or twice, along with a pair of Pioneer Centrex speakers-sounded pretty good back then.......a while ago.

Hey guys ! happened upon some mini 7's at a garage sale down the street... they came with a mini optimus sta-20 tuner/amp... they sound awesome. took a pic of my computer setup! I stacked them on my a-10's!

I have some white ones as well, maybe I'll stack both minimus' next.

Attachments

• mnini7.jpg
    mnini7.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 232
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 191
WOW!! Just built the PZ-2.1 xover for a pair of my Japanese versions of the M7's. All I can say is wow! I have tried the ebay mod, the SB mag mod as well as a few of my own. This is the best one yet. Anybody thinking of building these, DO IT, the payoff is well worth the effort and expense. Thank you Zilch!!
I have alot of experimenting to do on a few loose drivers I have without cabs. I am going to try several different sized cabinets. Ported and sealed just for fun. First up I will try it out in the Purpleheart cabs I finished a while back and see what happens. I just wish I had the test equipment to post results.
Anyways just wanted to get my 2cents in. Thanks again!
Bobby

You are welcome, Bobby.

It's Pete's basic crossover design, really; I just tested it, tweaked it and showed how to build it easily.

We found and tried ten different mods here spanning virtually the entire history Minimus 7, and this was far and away the best of all the options we evaluated.... :thmbsp:

MLS test

For giggles, here's what I got when running MLS w/ Soundeasy on the PZ M7.
I used 1/6th smoothing. 1 meter with gate set for nearest bounce, have to figure out how low a frq that's good for. This is about the only thing I can do with SoundEasy right now. It ain't so Easy.:no:
So feel free to criticize this measurement.
attachment.php

Attachments

• PZ7MLS testmini.jpg
    PZ7MLS testmini.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 866
WHOA, Skywave-dood, you gotta be STOKED!
attachment.php

attachment.php

My window length and the minimum frequency resolved are in the legend.

We're certainly measuring the same stuff.... :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Thanks to Zilch for the excellent work done on the Minimus 7. Real Science always starts with a question. What is the optimum X-Over for the Minimus 7?
And you arrived at the answer with great skill, leaving nothing behind unresolved (like a good engineer should). I am looking through the old parts now seeing what is on hand and what I must order to do the PZ-2.1. Two pairs of Minimi ? await the treatment. BTW: I posted some of those questions about this little monitor that you referenced.
George
(A Tweak Zombie)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom