• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are the perfect garage speakers?

I have an unheated garage. Gets very hot and very cold. This makes me wary of putting any electronic component of value in it. What I use has to be something of little to no value that I would not get the least bit upset about should something go wrong.
I use some garage sale small tower, made in China, crap SDAT speakers. Surprisingly enough, although they dont sound good anywhere else in my house, they sound pretty good in the garage due to the echo effect. Since they are towers, I can easily move them into the driveway as well. I also have no worries about, dust, chips, dents, scuffs, spills or anything else associated with a garage.
 
Last edited:
Mach ones if ya wanna hear them in the yard also. Or any obscure brand you happen to find at a new-to-you store :thmbsp:

I've currently got a pair of Ohm C2's mounted on the far wall. However, I've got a pair of Mach 3's, and had I gotten them first then they'd be hanging on the wall.

On the near end, I have a pair of Ohm Walsh 2 cans that I plan on mounting in the rafters, upside down, with enclosures and ports of roughly the same size as the original cabinets. Those should disperse pretty well no matter where I happen to be, although to be honest I don't know what to expect should I find myself standing directly underneath them.

bs
 
right now i'm using infinity sm-122s in the back (my shop is 3400 sq feet, 14-18' ceiling) , powered by a Kenwood SuperEleven . a pair of jbl l-60Ts in the front, powered by a yamaha R-9 , and a few odd speakers in the office/studio powered by
two Altec 100w mono amps - university corner cab, EV/bullfrog pa speaker, sometimes
a pair of A-25s .
 
I have an unheated garage. Gets very hot and very cold. This makes me wary of putting any electronic component of value in it. What I use has to be something of little to no value that I would not get the least bit upset about should something go wrong.

I scavenged high Qts 15" and 12" woofers from consoles. Mount them in open baffle with workhorse PA amp, use those little RatShack LS speaks with the Linaeum tweeters on top. Very cheap, sounds better then what most people have in their house.
 
AR Rock Partners.
Pretty indestructable and mount nicely
in corners.
I think they have the same drivers
as the AR-18s.
Big sounding little speakers.........
 
My workshop speakers are cheap KLH 8" 3 ways that BestBuy was selling for $10 a pair a number of years back when they first started carrying them.

Cheap enough, sound decent and not too worried about beatin em up!

In fact I just converted em to bi-amp capability!

Sounds good!:banana:
 
I'll be getting my 1939 RCA Shearer bass bin on June the 6th from its former home in a theatre in Ky, where it has been since 1939. I am putting 2 JBL 2226 woofers---15" models in them and will lay it on it's side. It will be 42" high, 30" deep, and 84" wide and it will fit under my 110" projection screen. So maybe I'll finally have enough bass in my garage system since it's 105db eff.-
PDR_04041.jpg

PDR_04031.jpg
 
Alright!

I'll be getting my 1939 RCA Shearer bass bin on June the 6th from its former home in a theatre in Ky, where it has been since 1939. I am putting 2 JBL 2226 woofers---15" models in them and will lay it on it's side. It will be 42" high, 30" deep, and 84" wide and it will fit under my 110" projection screen. So maybe I'll finally have enough bass in my garage system since it's 105db eff.-
PDR_04041.jpg

PDR_04031.jpg

A man after my own heart!.....:thmbsp:
 
I love constantly switching out my garage system. Currently I have my Harman Kardon 430 out there with a Sony 200 disc changer. The speakers are AR-18bxis. I got these for $1, need a refoam job though. These are newer, less respected ARs, but I think they sound pretty decent and are the perfect size for what he's describing.
 
Half of my speakers are in the garage, most of them awaiting refoam or something. I just couldn't resist picking up a pair of speakers whenever I saw something that looked cool at a thrift or on CL. The speaker repair queue is sitting where other people, with different priorities, would be wasting space parking a car.

I have two systems set up in the garage. With one a Yamaha AV amp is hooked up to some Jensons, Realistic Omega 48, and unidentified thrift speakers. I also have a couple of ADC 300B run by a Big ol 100 WPC Fisher Studio Standard and a Pioneer 25 disc CD player. Because Space is not that big an issue - we only keep one car, the little one, in the garage - I try to arrange them for optimal sound at a work table I have out there. Currently the ADCs are sitting atop a pair of very heavy barstools and sound pretty doggone good.

Regards,

D-Ray
 
How about these beauties

I saw these the other day in some knuckleheads house. That is a 5 gallon water jug hanging from the ceiling. They are even ported out the back.
 

Attachments

  • IMGP2450.jpg
    IMGP2450.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 79
I'll be getting my 1939 RCA Shearer bass bin on June the 6th from its former home in a theatre in Ky, where it has been since 1939. I am putting 2 JBL 2226 woofers---15" models in them and will lay it on it's side. It will be 42" high, 30" deep, and 84" wide and it will fit under my 110" projection screen. So maybe I'll finally have enough bass in my garage system since it's 105db eff.-

DYNAMITE cabinets!

I love the 2226 -- GREAT midrange, taut and punchy. But I think for those cabs you want something with lower Qts, lower Fs? Altec 515 or similar?
 
Back
Top Bottom