AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia)

That's the only way you're gonna get this decoder ring, I guarantee.... :music:

:worthless

Let's see a pic of that ring! Mine was gold plastic with a clear center piece. It had numbers, and the base of the ring had letters, allowing you to put your message into "code". The center piece pulled out showing a "secret" compartment, and the center of the pull out piece was a magnifying glass.
NEATO!:thmbsp:

Russellc

Let's see a pic of that ring! Mine was gold plastic with a clear center piece. It had numbers, and the base of the ring had letters, allowing you to put your message into "code". The center piece pulled out showing a "secret" compartment, and the center of the pull out piece was a magnifying glass.

Russellc

Saweeeeet!!:D

The center piece pulled out showing a "secret" compartment, and the center of the pull out piece was a magnifying glass.
Good for cooking ants on the sidewalk, of course, but I found the 12" parabolic mirror I removed from a vintage RCA B/W projection TV far more effective at burning holes in the lawn, actually.

AH, science.... ;)

Last edited:
BTW, you can remove the asterisk from my name on the list... Indignia #00010 has been making wonderful sound for 2 months now. The only thing is that the paint job isn't quite finished, but boy lemme tell ya... my boy was watching the movie Gettysburg in his room the other day, and when those cannons started going, I had to go in there. The woofs were gyrating wildly and the blasts were very real. The Indignias handled it well. This was with his little 25 WPC Sherwood BPC receiver.

BTW, you can remove the asterisk from my name on the list... Indignia #00010 has been making wonderful sound for 2 months now.
Seems your boy is pleased with the speakers you and he built together. :music:

You KNOW I'm a hardnose when it comes to issuing serial numbers; we want to see his paint job, so in the interest of everyone's enjoyment of your project, I'm holding out for pics.... :thmbsp:

Seems your boy is pleased with the speakers you and he built together. :music:

You KNOW I'm a hardnose when it comes to issuing serial numbers; we want to see his paint job, so in the interest of everyone's enjoyment of your project, I'm holding out for pics.... :thmbsp:

Had a feeling you were going to say that... won't be long.

The old EV cabinets that I will be cutting up to use for my Indignias is thicker than 3/4", thus my outside measurements will have to be larger than 8"x14"x10.5". Am I correct in calculating that the interior dimensions for a rectangular box should be 6.5"w x 12.5"h x 9"d ? I'd hate to have to sift through over 1000 posts to find that info. :no:
If I am forced to fudge slightly on the measurements, is it better to go larger or smaller?:scratch2:

In the past, I'd thought'd be cool to massage a couple apple boxes into small bookshelf cabs. I reckoned one of fostex's full range offerings might match up nice in reflex tuned config.
just thinkin' inside the box:nerd:
vth

sv-ab-f.gif

http://www.cinemagadgets.com/full-apple-p-414.html
Our high quality standard Full Apple Boxes measure exactly 12"x8"x20" every time.

or maybe cute mini's with some other driver:

SV-ab-fm.gif

http://www.cinemagadgets.com/mini-full-apple-p-418.html
High quality Mini Full Apple Boxes measure 12"x8"x10" every time.

I've used wine crates before with decent results :)

The old EV cabinets that I will be cutting up to use for my Indignias is thicker than 3/4", thus my outside measurements will have to be larger than 8"x14"x10.5". Am I correct in calculating that the interior dimensions for a rectangular box should be 6.5"w x 12.5"h x 9"d ? I'd hate to have to sift through over 1000 posts to find that info. :no:
If I am forced to fudge slightly on the measurements, is it better to go larger or smaller?:scratch2:
It's the internal volume that matters. Indignias in stock PE cabinets are 0.38 cuft, nominal, 0.387 cuft actual for the rectangular, or 0.392 cuft for the curved version, but anything between 0.35 and 0.50 cuft will work fine. :yes:

Of note: Peterz scored post #1000!

[If nothing else, we're a "wordy" group, indeed.... :tongue: ]

Last edited:
Another pair

Here is another pair. They have been done for a couple of days so I have had a chance to listen to them. I have not been disappointed.

They play as advertised. They create a nice wide sound stage and as so many have said, they sound bigger than they are. They are very easy to listen to and not in the least fatiguing.

I have uploaded a few pictures of the build for anyone interested.

attachment.php

A couple more coats of oil and some black spray paint for the port tube and I will be satisfied. :music:

Attachments

• 100_3624.jpg
    100_3624.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 532
Good for cooking ants on the sidewalk, of course, but I found the 12" parabolic mirror I removed from a vintage RCA B/W projection TV far more effective at burning holes in the lawn, actually.

AH, science.... ;)

Yes, I had the big lens out of a Bullseye light, used to similar death ray effect.

Russellc

Here is another pair. They have been done for a couple of days so I have had a chance to listen to them. I have not been disappointed.

They play as advertised. They create a nice wide sound stage and as so many have said, they sound bigger than they are. They are very easy to listen to and not in the least fatiguing.

I have uploaded a few pictures of the build for anyone interested.

attachment.php

A couple more coats of oil and some black spray paint for the port tube and I will be satisfied. :music:

Beautiful work!

Very nice Tiver!

Computer, please translate "qft."

I'm assisting in the construction of two more pairs on Saturday morning. More AKers should consider "slamming" a pair together. Most fun I've had with a soldering iron in my hand.

Clyde, any progress yet? I'm happy to lend a hand.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments everyone. I had some fun putting them together.

All of you who have brought this thread along have done great work.

Anyone just looking in on this thread........highly recommended project, they really do sound quite nice.

Thanks, Ray and YamahaFreak! But I was expecting a cheesy, female simulated synthesized voice to provide the answer.:D

Back
Top Bottom