Pioneer Tuning Fork Service Guide

I will keep them coming until either they ask me to stop or no one seems interested.
The next issue begins with a 17 page article on capacitors and a 27 page article on Quartz-PLL directdrive TTs using the PL-570 as an example, discussing theory, service and troubleshooting....

Those would be the 2.
I have the Digital as well as the Trouble Shooting Power Amplifiers supplements. I think there was also a supplement on the Video Laserdisc components....

Those would be especially interesting to me, as I've been kind of desperately seeking into on the Pioneer direct drive TTs, before getting too far into my PL-L1 restoration/refurbishment. The Video Laserdisc one might help me get my back-up/spare parts LD-X1 units running.

But ALL of these are GREAT; keep 'em coming! They'll go into the "reference library" here. :yes: :thmbsp:

This is great stuff!! Thanks for sharing.
Could this information be available in the manual database?

Here is the article on the Quartz DD TT using the PL-570 as an example broken into 4 parts.
I don't have the supplement on Video Laserdisc equipment. I am working from memory that I saw it, so take it with a grain of salt. TF 6 has an article on Laser Vision (laserdiscs) and TF 7 has an article on the CD. I didn't realise Laser Vision was an analog recording.

Attachments

• Pioneer Tuning Fork 2-Quartz DD TT-pt1-grey.PDF
    857.3 KB · Views: 695
  • Pioneer Tuning Fork 2-Quartz DD TT-pt2-grey.PDF
    849.6 KB · Views: 604
  • Pioneer Tuning Fork 2-Quartz DD TT-pt3-grey.PDF
    820.3 KB · Views: 587
  • Pioneer Tuning Fork 2-Quartz DD TT-pt4-grey.PDF
    814.6 KB · Views: 580
Here are the articles from the memo section of TF2 & TF3. From TF2, white noise and pink noise and from TF3, loudness and frequency threshold of the human ear. The latter makes me go hmmm, when I hear people state that you can't hear a difference in a less than 3db change in volume.

Attachments

• TF2 Memo.pdf
    93.5 KB · Views: 700
  • TF3 Memo.pdf
    200.3 KB · Views: 657
Here are the articles from the Q&A section of TF2 and TF3. From TF2, a gentleman was wondering how he blew some drivers with a 80WPC amp and speakers that would take 100WPC. From TF3, a gentleman wondering why he didn't hear a difference in volume when he switched from a SX-1010 & CS-99As to SPEC-1 & 2 with HPM-150s.

Attachments

• TF3 Q&A.pdf
    456.7 KB · Views: 683
  • TF2 Q&A.pdf
    251.2 KB · Views: 717
I saw the title of this thread and thought, "Must be a short publication. How much service can you really perform on a damned tuning fork?" :D

Great stuff, I'm going to check out some of this when I can get to it.

Here is the article on the Quartz DD TT using the PL-570 as an example broken into 4 parts.

Mostly taken from the PL-550_ART-188-0 service-manual which you'll find in whole in the AK Pioneer Database. That scan I made in full color to better visualize the motor-drive theories.

Thanks to Carve it for forking-out all these scans, so to speak :thmbsp:

Best,

/tri-comp

Just goes to show, there are no bounds to the knowledge here.

Nice stuff. Most of it above my head, but I'm enjoying it.

Thanks.

Here is a "Parts Information" article from TF 3 called Transformer and Coil.

Attachments

• TF3 Trans & Coils pt1 50-200.pdf
    943.9 KB · Views: 785
  • TF3 Trans & Coils pt2 50-200.pdf
    755.7 KB · Views: 715
  • TF3 Trans & Coils pt3 50-200.pdf
    765 KB · Views: 696
Here is an article from the "One-Point Servicing Techniques" section called "Amp I" Countermeasures. It deals with causes and remedies for RF interference and external noise. One of the solutions involves the Pioneer JC-200 wire.

Attachments

• TF 3 Amp I pt2.pdf
    608.6 KB · Views: 715
  • TF 3 Amp I pt1.pdf
    588.1 KB · Views: 772
Great Stuff....

All Hail Carve It....... this is some great stuff........

Thanks for taking the time to provide this.........:thmbsp::thmbsp::yes:....willhowl

Here is an article from the Electricity: Basic Theories section of TF 3. It is called "Electric Power and Alternating Current". It is pretty basic but it follows the Ohm's Law articles and is used to build on in future articles.

Attachments

• TF 3 Power & AC.pdf
    651.4 KB · Views: 729
First a Texas sized thank you to Ed in TX for allowing me to scan Tuning Fork numbers 4 and 5. THANK YOU!! :banana: :banana:

Here is an article from TF 4 in the Parts Information section called Semiconductors which deals with transistors, naming codes, form factors, etc.

Attachments

• Pioneer TF4 Transistors pt1.pdf
    685 KB · Views: 870
  • Pioneer TF4 Transistors pt2.pdf
    911.2 KB · Views: 823
  • Pioneer TF4 Transistors pt3.pdf
    646.3 KB · Views: 798
This is an article from TF 4 called "Non-Switching Amplifiers". This would be for the SX-3900 and SA-9800 era integrateds and receivers.

Attachments

• Pioneer TF4 Non-Switching Amplifiers pt3.pdf
    868.7 KB · Views: 782
  • Pioneer TF4 Non-Switching Amplifiers pt2.pdf
    796.5 KB · Views: 809
  • Pioneer TF4 Non-Switching Amplifiers pt1.pdf
    941.7 KB · Views: 931
These are excellent reading, thanks much for scanning and posting!!!

Much apreciated.

Last edited:
Here is an article from TF5 's Parts Information section titled Diodes.

Attachments

• Pioneer TF5 Diodes pt1.pdf
    784.1 KB · Views: 782
  • Pioneer TF5 Diodes pt2.pdf
    725.8 KB · Views: 764
bump
On page 4 is the same thing in my other post.

Link to the Pioneer Relay replacement thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-1010-939-838-et-al-relay-replacement.150439/

Link to Marty's list of recap and parts lists: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-recap-lists-sticky-suggestion.457663/

Link to EchoWar's bipolar transistor thread: https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/i...lar-junction-transistor-testing-basics.43186/

Link to my ff/rew Cassette clutch thread: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...ix-ctf-8282-9191-1000-rxa-581-not-diy.292583/

Link to the Spec-1 ACV-314 volume control thread: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/spec-1-acv-314-pot-lessons-learned.314900/

Link to Lamp Holder replacement thread: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/lamp-holder-replacement.539924/

I will add more as warranted - thus while NOT it's own sticky, it IS listed IN a sticky!!! A service and parts sticky, no less - instead of burning up a sticky.

Last edited:
Here is an article from the Basic Theories Of Electricity section of TF5 called Properties Of Coils And Capacitors.

Attachments

• Pioneer TF5 Coils and Capacitors.pdf
    948.7 KB · Views: 729
Back
Top Bottom