Best Looking Receiver of all Time

pa3000031.jpg

That is gorgeous! :yes: :thmbsp:

Which Fisher is that?

I recorded last night's New Years Eve PBS broadcast live from Avery Fisher Hall. Didn't get to watch all of it as we were babysitiing our grandaughter and she wanted to watch Monsters Inc. :D

Anyway Avery Fisher did a lot for both live and recorded music :music:

My little girl

I've truly seen so many gorgeous illustrations provided by the posters here.
It's like window shopping w/an empty wallet.
Realistic STA-2080...just surpassed by the STA-2100-
sta-2100d_7a.jpg

Last edited:
Some real beauties here. I'm surprised that there is not always a correlation between looks and sound. I recently bought a Mac4100. Great receiver but butt-ugly. OTOH I have a Sylvania RQ-3748. No one thinks of "Sylvania" and "HiFi" but it's a powerful, good sounding, good looking '70s quad receiver MADE in NY with real walnut veneer :thmbsp: (the woodgrain vinyl on most '70s gear is an abomination!!)
Here's some info and pics:
http://www.vintagesylvania.net/index.php?page=components&category=recv&model=RQ-3748

First plan for the MAC: A real wood cabinet!

Not much love for black faces here. When I was much younger I used to lust after a Vector Research VR-7000. My first "real" receiver was a Vector somewhere down the food chain from that one. I always thought that the block diagram printed on the top was very cool!

Have you seen a stock 4100 case up close? The vinyl is truly dreadful.

I have..it's about 10 feet from me right now and I can still tell how crappy it is. One of many tasks I have this year is to build or buy a new case for it, or just take it out of that hideous thing (though the one in the picture looks like it might be reveneered, as the stock vinyl is darker).

Scott Stereomaster 399 is one of my favorite lookers.

3991.jpg

Take a picture of it in the dark and you have my vote. I don't think there's ever been a better looking piece of audio equipment, and I'm kicking myself for not buying a fully restored one when I saw it.

Take a picture of it in the dark and you have my vote. I don't think there's ever been a better looking piece of audio equipment, and I'm kicking myself for not buying a fully restored one when I saw it.

The Magic Eye tubes are uber-cool!:yes:

That is because Pioneer made it for Radio Shack. I'm pretty certain of this, but have no verification. But I remember hearing that RS and Pioneer have had a working relationship for many, many moons.
More accurately-
Foster/Fostex had a working relationship for many, many moons with Pioneer, Kenwood, as well as Radio Shack ...
For Example, the 2080 & 2100 are Fostex.
the 2100-D is Sony.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom