AK Design Collaborative - Insubnia

Something the size of a TT, or at the very most a narrow THT (18"). Both are really too large for my space, but I have come to the conclusion a horn gets me closest to where I want to be. Which is a musical sub (that can actually reproduce bass guitar, not a one note wonder like my current sub), that I can also use for HT down to at least 20Hz.

Last edited:
Something the size of a TT, or at the very most a narrow THT (18"). Both are really too large for my space, but I have come to the conclusion a horn gets me closest to where I want to be. Which is a musical sub (that can actually reproduce bass guitar, not a one note wonder like my current sub), that I can also use for HT down to at least 20Hz.

I'll update this space as I progress on the TB W8 design and I have been screwing around with the TCSounds 10" driver.....lots of excursion at low distortion for that driver....

JSS

I'll update this space as I progress on the TB W8 design and I have been screwing around with the TCSounds 10" driver.....lots of excursion at low distortion for that driver....

JSS
:thmbsp: Keep us posted...

Does this need to go to a separate thread from the Insubnia?

Tapped Horn Update

As I was going nowhere slowly with this, I passed my tapped horn design along to a friend, who has constructed a pair with the Exodus Anarchy drivers.

I'll be measuring these tomorrow night, if things go as I hope, plans and details will be posted soon.

Yup, took me just short of forever, but I finally got it. As folded, the cabinet is 30" high, 20.125" wide, and 8.25" deep externally, with 1/2 inch material. It is a bit bigger than I wanted, but there is zero wasted space internally and the driver barely fits. There is close to 1/2 a cubic foot of wood in the internal horn dividers alone, I folded 13.5 feet of tapped horn into that cabinet. Only way I could make it smaller is make it shorter, but then it would not play as low.

Diagrams and plans will come, I promise. Measurements first. There are a few pics over at AVS, as well as a bit of discussion later in that thread.

Last edited:
Very nice! Can't wait to see how it measures....got my fingers crossed for low distortion 25Hz, and possibly 20Hz in room...

JSS

Exciting!

One of the links says the target Tang Band will work, but we'll need info on this driver as well, like where and how much.... :yes:

Radman12 photos:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Proto External.jpg
    Proto External.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 408
  • Insubnia Internal.jpg
    Insubnia Internal.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
OK, if it comes down to this, I know there was talk of a plate amp for HT use but what are simple options for stereo use? How do we drive it in a stereo system? Can we 'Y' cable off a pre-out and just pass the low end through one leg with a separate amp ? I see the box standing up, can it be laid on its side.

Please excuse my profound ignorance :saywhat:

OK, if it comes down to this, I know there was talk of a plate amp for HT use but what are simple options for stereo use? How do we drive it in a stereo system? Can we 'Y' cable off a pre-out and just pass the low end through one leg with a separate amp ? I see the box standing up, can it be laid on its side.
Plate amp has high-level inputs that you just connect the speaker leads to. It sums the left and right channel to a mono output, and also does the requisite high- and lowpass filtering, typically.

Yes, you can just "Y" to another amp, and summation is not an issue if you're going to use paired Insubnias, but you still have the crossover issues to resolve. Not terribly difficult or expensive, but still, more to be done to have it all work well.

Yes, it can be laid on its side, tucked under the bed, wherever. :)

Working on the measurements currently, hope to have them posted up shortly.
Thanks, Mike.

I'm hoping you'll load Tang Band W-6 1139SI in your own build and provide measurements for that combo also, ultimately, for comparison.... :yes:

Last edited:
My graphs are not as smooth as maxmercy's cause I did not bother to chase the birds away or worry about the cars driving by.....:D

Measured 1W 1M SPL is blue, modeled is red.

anarchy%201w1m.JPG

We measured outdoors over a driveway, so this was not a perfect 2pi measurement by any means. Ambient noise was ~50 dB, so >25 dB down from the measurement levels. We were also probably talking/drinking during the measurements too (much more fun that way!).

This measurement is certainly adequate to verify the performance of the design. We are essentially flat (+/- 3 dB) from 25 Hz to 100 Hz. 2.83 V yields about 86 dB at 1M, which is very close to the prediction.

Drive voltage from amplifier was set at 2.83V into an 8-ohm resistor with my most accurate voltmeter. My equipment is probably accurate to a dB, and should be flat within the area I have presented. Measurements were made with REW using the equipment I have described elsewhere.

I also did a little experiment with HolmImpulse.

Measured SPL and THD:

Anarchy%20TH%20SPL%20and%20THD.jpg

2nd Harmonic:

Anarchy%20TH%20SPL%20and%202nd.jpg

3rd Harmonic:

Anarchy%20TH%20SPL%20and%203rd.jpg

Hmmm, it is a 25 Hz tapped horn design and the THD takes over below that, pretty much as I expected, and exactly as theory predicts. I did not bother with the higher harmonics - they were buried in the noise.

I could have probably increased the drive levels a touch for the HolmImpulse sweeps, but as we were already working well past sunset, I figured measuring at 100+ dB might have upset Todd's neighbors.

Todd (radman12) took my sketchup layout and made it look really nice. The following is his work:

todds%20layout.jpg

detail.jpg

measurements.jpg

cutsheet.jpg

There is also a nice PDF plan attached.

Attachments

• Exodus Anarchy 25hz TH.pdf
    490.6 KB · Views: 45
And - to answer the earlier question - yes, the TB W6-1139 will work in this, but it is not quite as smooth.

anarchy%20driver%20comparison.JPG

W6 in black, Exodus Anarchy in gray. Things are pretty similar.

Very cool project and props to the workers for documenting everything so well. I'm thinking these would fit very well with a pair of BLH's I have. The boxes are very similar.
Have any of the creators of these horns experimented with a larger horn mouth? My understanding is that Hornresp was used for the modeling, correct? Is there a direct link to the Hornresp sheet?

Full Hornresp Export:

ID=23.40
Ang=2.0 x Pi
Eg=2.83
Rg=0.00
Fta=0.55
S1=57.00
S2=61.00
Con=9.00
F12=0.00
S2=61.00
S3=219.00
Con=328.00
F23=0.00
S3=219.00
S4=250.00
Con=60.00
F34=0.00
S4=0.00
S5=0.00
L45=0.00
F45=0.00
Sd=131.00
Bl=10.86
Cms=3.93E-04
Rms=1.39
Mmd=29.86
Le=0.84
Re=6.40
TH=1
Vrc=0.00
Lrc=0.00
Ap1=0.00
Lpt=0.00
Vtc=220.00
Atc=182.00
Com=As planned Insubnia Anarchy

Copy the preceding text (save for top line), paste it into a blank text file, save it as insubnia.txt in the \\hornresp\import directory, run hornresp, select File Import, then select your file name.

I went with a single flare to keep things easy to construct. The mouth is nearly twice Sd, so it is not that small (at least as far as tapped horns go...).

Back
Top Bottom