Model Eighteen

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm going to look at one of these this evening. Besides the tuning scope and any obvious stuff, is there anything in particular that I should be aware of when inspecting?

The dial glass in the 18 is hand painted, so make sure everything is there, instead of having numbers that have floated to the bottom of the glass. The scope tube is a 200 dollar part, so if you want the scope, make sure it's strong. I wouldn't pass on one because the scope didn't work, but that's just me. The 18 was made in the USA, and I do believe that Saul Marantz was involved in its design. Very fine unit.

I'm going to look at one of these this evening. Besides the tuning scope and any obvious stuff, is there anything in particular that I should be aware of when inspecting?

I know which unit you're going to see, very nice. I was thinking about calling, but I decided against it. Please post some pics if you get it, I would love to see what I passed on. :yes:

If the dial glass is in bad shape don't worry. I had mine re-silk screened by RadioDaze. They did a great job. But if the tuning tube is weak that may be a problem. First it is expensive. But most of all hard to impossible to find!!!!

I had one for years. The tuner built into it is perhaps the best sounding tuner EVER made. I mean one great sounding tuner. But it also is not able it pull in stations very well. So if you live in a difficult area this tuner may be a problem. ANd yes mine was alinged and I used a rotor Yagi antenna. My advice - unless you have a favorite station that comes in LOUD and clean, then use a Sony HD tuner to use with it.

Should look like this. Some have either the red or black power switch.

Marantz18_1.jpg

Marantz18_2.jpg

Marantz18_3.jpg

Marantz18_5.jpg

Marantz18_8.jpg

Marantz18_10.jpg

a very very nice example there!!!

Does anyone know about the "red or black powerswitch"? - was the red one the first or last units or......just random?

regards
Freddy

a very very nice example there!!!

Does anyone know about the "red or black powerswitch"? - was the red one the first or last units or......just random?

regards
Freddy

Mine is black and the serial # is "18-4xxx".
Onepixels serial # looks like "A50xxx".

Off hand from that, I would say black was the first.
All my early Marantz gear like the 10b, 20 and 20b all have, in their serial #, the model then "dash" then number, like 20b-xxxx. They are stamped on a silver plate.

Onepixel, that is a beautiful 18.

I believe the original switch was red and was under spec'd the replacment is black and the same as the one used in the 19. Easiest thing to do is use a power block and leave the switch on but cycle it from time to time with no power just to prevent welding.

Mine is black and the serial # is "18-4xxx".
Onepixels serial # looks like "A50xxx".

Off hand from that, I would say black was the first.
All my early Marantz gear like the 10b, 20 and 20b all have, in their serial #, the model then "dash" then number, like 20b-xxxx. They are stamped on a silver plate.

Onepixel, that is a beautiful 18.

My Eighteen is #3077 - and has the red powerswitch. I think that the serial number on that Beautyfull 18 on the pics - is not the original - that could be anything - SS - number or what have we. Mine has its serial number # 3077 stamped into that silverfoil sticker on da back of the unit. I tend to believe what Brian says about the earlier red switch being prone to failure -

regards
Freddy

My Eighteen is #3077 - and has the red powerswitch. I think that the serial number on that Beautyfull 18 on the pics - is not the original - that could be anything - SS - number or what have we. Mine has its serial number # 3077 stamped into that silverfoil sticker on da back of the unit. I tend to believe what Brian says about the earlier red switch being prone to failure -

regards
Freddy

Good to know.

I've seen enough of these with broken switches (red and black) that I do what Brian recommends and use a power bar for most of the on/offs cycles.

Back
Top Bottom