• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

More Data, Less Wank. A Eulogy for Zilch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How far and wide did 'Zilch' reach

Go to Yahoo or Google and enter zilchl and see what pops up. He was everywhere! What a great legacy he leaves behind.:D If I have 1% of people that give a crap when it's my turn I will be happy.
Steve
 
Thanks for the update wiredbecker. Truly a very sad day. I was fortunate enough to have met Zilch on a couple of occasions and he was always gracious, patient and generous. We will miss your dearly my friend.

R.I.P. Zilch
 
I'm Late.........but.......

I'm deeply shocked.......When I started reading the "Where's Zilch" thread, I went.."Uh-oh"......

I Never really imagined this result............

What a loss........................May God Rest Your Soul, Zilch.....:tears::tears::tears::tears:
 
Wow, terrible news. I haven't been around here much lately and wasn't aware he was I'll. Also liked straight forward style, he gave me some good advice on myJBL's. He as many others said, will be sadly missed

RIP Zilch
 
Evan is the only man I’ve ever known who could work through problems and fix them every time. He certainly had insight, and he knew how to apply the fruits of his (and other’s) measurements and research. And when he worked things through, all of it was available to everyone.

He believed in open-source as a methodology. Examples of Zilch doing this pepper the net -- speaker systems designed by participants sharing the workload. Though he often carried much of the burden, he made one feel essential, part of the process.

He spent an immense amount of time explaining, nurturing, educating. He never really argued, he merely persisted and demonstrated his point of view, in different ways. Many different ways. And with measurements, of course. With good humor, too. Zilch was competitive, but he was never rude or dismissive. He had the data.

Following his measurements and posts for the past 3 years, every day possible, was a joy. He spread enthusiasm. He worked fast. Of course, I could not keep up. Maybe you know the feeling? I tried to keep up with him, but I settled on reading every graph he published instead.

For me, there were many Eureka moments. Zilch created the atmosphere for those realizations to happen. I thank him for the education, the excitement and the fun of reading his posts here on AK. I am honored to have interacted with him.

His recent work, such as that over on Techtalk, seemed to be racing toward perfection. I am sure the Princeton lab will eventually measure one of his designs. Those projects approached a level of development borne out in his wavelet and other measurements which is thrilling. That a true DIY guy could do these things and develop them to such a high level…and be so generous and a gentleman….
Did we realize how good we had it?

He used a word; he said: “autotelic,” in describing himself.

I miss you Evan. Please measure the cool waveguides for us so we’ll know what to build when we meet you again.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19648897#post19648897
 
Last edited:
Evan, my dear friend you will be greatly missed:tears:
I will miss the talks we had over 5yrs:yes:
Chris you did so much for Evan when he was down:thmbsp:
I new of Evan's situation but he did not want it to be known
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=345677
He had been battling with this for quite sometime
Evan was a very busy man belonging to over 15 sites
The Audio Community has lost a great person
To all that have known you my prayers are with you in this time of sorrow
Heaven is now richer with your presents
RIP my dearest friend:tears:
 
It is with great sadness that I must inform everyone that Zilch passed away the morning of Friday February 4th due to complications from metastatic lung cancer. Know that his passing was swift and relatively painless and that he kept his sense of sense of humor throughout the illness. When he could no longer post, I would read aloud updates from the Econowave and the “Where’s Zilch?” thread which brought tears to his eyes. He was extremely grateful for everyone’s thoughts and prayers.

Zilch and I worked on speakers every single weekend for past 3 years and during that time we grew to be great friends. Perhaps you have had a similar experience interacting with him here in AudioKarma’s Speaker forum or on any number of other audio related forums on the web. Zilch worked tirelessly providing data and support for all of our speaker projects but I learned about a lot more than speakers from him. When my wife left me, Zilch’s friendship kept me going. I miss my buddy so much.

Now that Zilch has left us, I’ve been charged with the task of keeping the Zilchlab legacy alive. We’ve registered the domain of www.zilchlab.com but regrettably I’ve not had a chance to get much done since he was diagnosed a few months back. That is going to change. Zilch is survived by the untiring spirit of DIY speaker building and the pursuit of accurate data. This is a "No BS Zone".

Godspeed my friend.

My thoughts go out to the everyone close to Zilch in the first place.

The huge amount effort he put into this forum and vast knowledge on speakers will never be forgotten.
A huge loss to AK..

Rest in peace Zilch.

And to wiredbecker thank you for sharing this terrible news, I cannot imagine how hard thing must be for you now..
If you need help with the graphics for the site I can offer professional help.
 
Last edited:
There will truly be a large hole in the AK and Lansing Heritage groups where he was a stable of knowledge which benefited every member. I even had the pleasure of speaking w/ him over the phone a couple months ago. I feel for those who immediately knew him. Gotta love a guy who dedicates all his free time so that YOUR speakers will sound better. What a great guy- he will be very missed by me.:tears: RIP my friend Zilch.
 
Requiescat in pace, Sir Zilch.
Your contributions to the audio community will be missed. I learned a lot by reading Zilch's posts both here and on the Lansing Heritage site. It is simply beautiful that the online community here shows so much respect and caring for one of its members.

A truly sad day for all DIYers.
 
Damn! Although knowing it was inevitable, it is nevertheless a shock. I had corresponded a bit with Evan, and had vowed many times to visit him when I was in the Bay area, but never could make it work. And now, the chance is gone...yet, I still feel as if we'd been friends from all the posts where he bared his interests and passions. Yes, he took on most of us, but to prod us for more data, less wank! And all in a gentle way with wink.

Respects and RIP Evan, I'm sure you and J.B.L. are discussing the next project already!
 
I have told Chris that I can get a nice home for the car by someone who will restore it and take good care of it or otherwise just enjoy it. I might be up to the challenge myself if my wife will let me (I already have one - a 73' 2.0) I really don't want to see it thrown away or donated (it would get scraped if it was) as Evan owned it from new.
Steve

Damn Again! Another reason why I should have visited, we shared an interest in JBL's and 914's. I would have loved to show him my 914/6 and then ask how to E-wave the speakers in there. I suspect he already had some ideas in mind...:tears:
 
My condolences to Zilch's friends and family.

I have learned masses from his always informative and detailed posts, he will be greatly missed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom