• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Marantz 7 preamp upgade??

Hoppes

New Member
I have been lucky to inherit 3 of the classic Marantz products:

Marantz 8b stereo amp with original RCA Fat Boy 6CA7 tubes
Marantz 7 pre-amp with Amperex 12ax7a tubes Serial number 7-21568
Marantz 10b tuner
I have the 8b up and running with all the correct voltages and bias. It appears to be original. The 7 is also up and running well but appears to be modified. The case has a service sticker from 1979. Some of the caps are Electrocubes, PRns and Tektronix. There is also a Sprague Atom 1000uf in the power supply side. I assume these were not the originals ?? The preamp hs not been touched since 1979.Anyone tell what caps Marantz used for the 7 of that vintage ?? Thanks, Hoppes
 
Register to hide this ad
Picture would help, but yes they sound not to be stock....

That is a very late serial number. My is even later by a 100. The later units used different brand caps and resistors in some locations.

The 10b is likely to need some caps too... I love mine, I just replaced the dial glass which made the visual aspect out of this world...sound is the best.

JohnK
 
Posting some pics

Sorry I couldn't get pics yesterday. Here's 2. Hoppes
 

Attachments

  • Pics of 7c.jpg
    Pics of 7c.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Pics of 7c 006.jpg
    Pics of 7c 006.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 200
if not original, looks like the tech did a decent job. I'd suggest not obsessing about it unless you find something objectionalbe. Finding NOS in spec will not be easy if, at all possible.
 
Correct that is not original. But that is not all bad as Brian mentions.

You will find the 7c a pleasure.....

jk
 
Essentially you can't -upgrade- this amp, you can only service it. With that said yours has been serviced. It looks like much of it has been replaced. Mine came to me in exactly the same way as yours and the place that serviced my Grandmothers were complete butchers compared to the job you have.

No speakers or turntable in that impressive inheritance? You are missing the Thorens TD-124 and the Jensen speakers. :thmbsp:
 
One addition

I did get an Empire 498 table and 980 tonearm with a Shure m95ej cartridge. Unfortunately someone cut the tonearm cable in half !? So the turntable has to go very close to the preamp!! I'm running a pair of Spica TC-50 speakers with a Velodyne sub. Things sound pretty nice !! I have a Pair of Silverline Panetella speakers that will be next to try when everything is working properly. The younger generation don't know what they are missing!! Hoppes
 
What compliment of tubes are in the Model 7? 1-2-3 are the phono section, 4-5-6 are the line stage. They they do not need to be the same between sections and tubes 3 and 6 can be different. I have found that changing tube 6 has the most effect on sound, at least to my ears.

My favorite is a Sovtek LP in 6. (not the LPS). Teles and Mullard tubes will impart their house sound exactly as people describe if you roll them in 4 and 5.
 
Last edited:
Tubes in 7C preamp

All tubes are from the late 60's---Amperex 12AX7A' s. Haven't had the unit long enough to try other tubes at this time. Hoppes
 
Sid Smith himself (the designer of the 7) had a business doing mods to that preamp, in the late 70s. The modded preamp was reviewed in The Absolute Sound and found to be far superior to the original. I do recall something about Sprague caps and other cap upgrades being part of the mod.

Best case scenario would be he did the mods
 
Last edited:
Sid Smith himself (the designer of the 7) had a business doing mods to that preamp, in the late 70s. The modded preamp was reviewed in The Absolute Sound and found to be far superior to the original. I do recall something about Sprague caps and other cap upgrades being part of the mod.

Best case scenario would be he did the mods

Any additional info regarding the Sid Smith mods would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance. :D
 
Well, The Absolute Sound is/was famously non-technical in their reviews, so a detailed overview of what exactly Sid did would not be found there.

I suppose your best hope is Google.
 
Tagged as I will soon be tackling service / possible 'upgrades' on 2 7c's and an 8b.

Audio Amateur published an oft-cited detailed article in 1981 I think, about improvements in the 7 through updating components, of the same value, and voltage regulation. I have it, wonder what y'all's take on it is?

Not sure if its public domain.....
 
Hmmmm.... My 7c is staying stock. If a cap or other part goes bad I would replace after complete testing.

All of its caps were ESR tested. Need to test the tubes.

My 7t is different story, that has been modified..


Jk
 
Tagged as I will soon be tackling service / possible 'upgrades' on 2 7c's and an 8b.

Audio Amateur published an oft-cited detailed article in 1981 I think, about improvements in the 7 through updating components, of the same value, and voltage regulation. I have it, wonder what y'all's take on it is?

Not sure if its public domain.....

If it's been published, it's fair game.
I'm sure I'd love to see what mods were being done back then,
if you please. :yes:
 
Hi Folks!
Found an interesting blog describing a Sid Smith modified Marantz 7.
This is the first time I've seen such a unit up close with the covers removed.

I am not a fan of this kind of mods, even if Sid performed them himself.
I would have preferred for Mr. Smith to just introduce a new preamp with his circuit improvements.
Further, this particular unit appears to have belonged to late Wilma Cozart Fine of Mercury Living Presence fame.
Although the serial number on the manilla envelope is different from the one stamped on the chassis.

If it were mine, I'd probably reverse the mods because of the unit's historical significance. I am guessing it was used to monitor those fantastic recordings made by her husband C. Robert Fine.

http://hifiheroin.blogspot.com/2011/07/one-fine-7c.html

IMG_4599.jpg


IMG_4595.jpg


IMG_4628.jpg


IMG_4612.jpg


IMG_4625.jpg
 
Last edited:
I don't know exactly what's been done to it or who did the work, but Sheltie Dave's hot-rodded 8B is one of the best-sounding amplifiers I've ever heard.

Tagged as I will soon be tackling service / possible 'upgrades' on 2 7c's and an 8b.

Audio Amateur published an oft-cited detailed article in 1981 I think, about improvements in the 7 through updating components, of the same value, and voltage regulation. I have it, wonder what y'all's take on it is?

Not sure if its public domain.....

It's copyrighted, though I doubt anyone would get their knickers bunched up about some non-commercial sharing of the information among a small group of enthusiasts. Depends on the attitude of the copyright holder.
 
I have been lucky to inherit 3 of the classic Marantz products:

Marantz 8b stereo amp with original RCA Fat Boy 6CA7 tubes
Marantz 7 pre-amp with Amperex 12ax7a tubes Serial number 7-21568
Marantz 10b tuner
I have the 8b up and running with all the correct voltages and bias. It appears to be original. The 7 is also up and running well but appears to be modified. The case has a service sticker from 1979. Some of the caps are Electrocubes, PRns and Tektronix. There is also a Sprague Atom 1000uf in the power supply side. I assume these were not the originals ?? The preamp hs not been touched since 1979.Anyone tell what caps Marantz used for the 7 of that vintage ?? Thanks, Hoppes

... did he say LUCKY !!!!!!!!!???????:banana:
... sorry, I just can't get over the luck...
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and post of the Marantz 7 c. : )

Interesting thought from the guy blogging it to revert it back to original, thereby
killing the value AND the historical significance of the pre amp.

Ms. Fine chose to have the designer tweak her pre.

He also wonders why Sid Smith didn't make a new line of pre's?

Well if anyone has experience in it, then you know you have a
hell of a lot of headaches just getting your suppliers etc to make
things the way you want them. Forget the fact that you have
to have a big bankroll just to inventory the stuff.

I'm guessing Sid Smith didn't want to PLAY with the business end
of it all, otherwise they would have been Smith's instead of Marantz's.

Knowing of all the improvements in componant parts I'm sure Sid was quite
happy upgrading them to his spec and price point rather than the channels
price/market point....

I mean if you are the man, know one knows it better than you and you know
what you wanted to accomplish to begine with, so you just take it from whence it came and get to do all the fun things the factory wouldn't let you.

Don't mean to ramble on here, just free associating the info.

Cheers,

Spike
 
I agree with the "don't modify a C" approach.... But a T is a good place to have some fun....

Hi Folks!

I am not a fan of this kind of mods, even if Sid performed them himself.
I would have preferred for Mr. Smith to just introduce a new preamp with his circuit improvements.


If it were mine, I'd probably reverse the mods because of the unit's historical significance. I am guessing it was used to monitor those fantastic recordings made by her husband C. Robert Fine.

 
Back
Top Bottom