Thinking about upgrading to an AU-999, opinions?

RR--

I currently have an AU-4400 and was thinking of upgrading to an AU-999, this is mainly because I love the sound of my Dad's AU-101.

I have heard that the AU-999 would be more powerful and more detailed similar to the AU-4400 but have the warm and relaxing sound from the AU-101

What is everyone's opinions and experiences on this?

The amp would hopefully be around AU$560 including $200 postage from the US, this is still cheaper than buying one locally in Australia. An AU-999 recently sold for $1000 on ebay in Melbourne.

This would be my main amp for the next decade or so.

My speakers are Monitor Audio RX1 if that matters.

Thanks.

I have a au-999 and love it, I can't compare it to other units you have, and obviously it is all subjective but in my opinion, for build quality, looks and sound it is a hard package to beat at the cost. I especially like the machined knobs and features. It is built like a tank.

Thanks for the relpy, the auction ended up going for much more than my budget, It's a shame because it's one of two that I've ever seen in this type of wooden case. http://i.imgur.com/FULFb.jpg
I'm going to a lot more Sunday markets than usual though.

Was watching that one and another in Sydney that went for $700:yikes: you may be looking for a while, there appears to be a lot of interest out there in this model.
If you do get one from the US be sure that it is a multi-voltage one, because buying a hefty step up transformer will add to the bill

Was watching that one and another in Sydney that went for $700:yikes: you may be looking for a while, there appears to be a lot of interest out there in this model.
If you do get one from the US be sure that it is a multi-voltage one, because buying a hefty step up transformer will add to the bill

All Sansui's sold in America are export models and therefore multi voltage.
Sansui's sold in Japan are not multi voltage, and are made to run on 100vac.

I have an AU/TU-999 which have been completely restored. I don't use it as often as I should, but a very nice combo.....I would definitely go for the matching tuner too....

Not all Sansui's sold in America were multivolt models.

For example there were multivolt and US specific AU717's, and here is one of the US specific ones.

US717.jpg

Agreed the AU999 is a classic example of Sansui goodness, I certainly appreciate the one I am lucky enough to own.

Cheers

John

Not all Sansui's sold in America were multivolt models.

For example there were multivolt and US specific AU717's, and here is one of the US specific ones.

Agreed the AU999 is a classic example of Sansui goodness, I certainly appreciate the one I am lucky enough to own.

Cheers

John

Ah yes we have had this discussion before, it seems all US (intended for US market) are export (multi voltage) and the Canadian ones are 120v or in some cases 117v depending on vintage and model, and due to migration, there are some which have ended up in USA and vise versa...........I think someone like LBPete may have eluded us to this...
Pays to check in any case, I always ask......Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my original post.....

its also no big deal to have the primary re-wound on the power transformer, I have done that on a couple of amps before, one was a guitar amp, I'm lucky to know a guy who is very good with winding transformers.....

AU999's seem to fetch a premium now, glad I got mine when I did......:yes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom