Anyone here repair a 1983 Yamaha A-1000 Integrated

LAB3

AK Member
In Aug. I purchased on Ebay ($135.00) a re-capped 1983 Yamaha A-1000 Class A,AB and to my surprise I love the sound and adjustable MM/MC phono section. A few weeks ago the MC side of the phono section quit working but the MM side works great as does the amp. So changed back to my old Pickering XUV/D4500Q. Looking for someone that knows Yamaha gear to repair it check what the previous owner did when he did a partial re-cap.
Thanks
Louis

Probably not the same issue, but I was having problems with the MM/MC both being weak on the left channel with an A-960 I have.

After fiddling around I looked (again) under the board with the phono section, and saw that the pad had lifted under one of the caps, so the trace was broken.

The MC not working at all might be something else of course. I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will chime in.

Good luck! I love the phono section on my A-960.

One channel works and the other nothing on MC no matter where I move the MC adjust selector.

I repaired an a1000 but not the issue you are referring to. There should be a switch that controls the MM/MC selector- if you pop the top it may be one of the ribbon fed switches- either way the "switch" may need a cleaning.

Sounds like an expensive repair since someone was in there before. To get it repaired correctly, the entire amp needs to be gone through to be certain the right parts are installed. Are you still in contact with the seller? You may get an indication of what was replaced with what component.

In Aug. I purchased on Ebay ($135.00) a re-capped 1983 Yamaha A-1000 Class A,AB and to my surprise I love the sound and adjustable MM/MC phono section. A few weeks ago the MC side of the phono section quit working but the MM side works great as does the amp. So changed back to my old Pickering XUV/D4500Q. Looking for someone that knows Yamaha gear to repair it check what the previous owner did when he did a partial re-cap.
Thanks
Louis

Ask around (DJs and Musicians) for a reputable shop in your area that does audio equipment. There are plenty of them around Chicago, I found the one I like after a few tries. You can go to the Cust Service Sections of the web sites for Pioneer, Yamaha, etc to see who does the warranty work in your area and check on Yelp and Google for reviews.

There are always issues, the shop I settled on stands behind their work, one of the other shops I dealt with stiffed me on their "warranty" after a faulty repair. This is old gear, so it can take a few tries and other problems can surface, it happens. Given the age, all electrolytic should have been replaced, any quality cap is good. The relays wear out too.

The shop I like does, Stereo, live music, guitar amps etc basically any audio amp or speaker etc. DJs and musicians are well informed consumers and get a lot of repairs and talk to their friends, so a shop they like is probably a good shop.

I purchased an A-1000 a couple of years ago for $50 in beautiful condition. After a few months it wanted some love, about $100 worth. I was surprised at what a great sounding amp the A-1000 is and won't sell it even though I have no place to use it at this time. Yamaha has a retro model of this amp that they currently sell for approx $2,000.

IMHO even if you have to put in one or two hundred to bring the amp up to spec it is money well spent, this amp is a keeper.

Make a list of every single issue you can surface on the amp, hiss, the phono section, connectors that don't work etc and type it up for the shop along with a request to thoroughly go through the entire amp. 30 years is a long time.

I found these two on the Yamaha site.

K-O Electronics

801 K Avenue, Suite 12
Plano TX 75074

Tel 972-233-6600
Distance: 42.42 Miles

Ellis County Music Center, Inc

1568 N Hwy 77, Suite 102
Waxahachie TX 75165

Tel 972-937-5300
Distance: 43.76 Miles

Thanks
Louis
here are a couple that are friends of Audiokarma (see bottom of page for adds)
http://www.classicsoundrepair.com/

http://manymoonsaudio.com/

Last edited:
here are a couple that are friends of Audiokarma (see bottom of page for adds)
http://www.classicsoundrepair.com/

http://manymoonsaudio.com/

Cool I will check them out too. Avionic PM me a quote on repairing the A-1000 and a complete recap price for a Yamaha M-50/70 A,AB amps for a C-70. Sheri is killing them with over time now I have some extra $$ after Christmas is over. I hope in the next few months a new O9ML/II and have the A-1000 completely checked out and repaired. Then C-70/M-70 and move A-1000 to bedroom system. Class A amps at 75/80 dB have killler bass with my efficient Klipsch...then slide into AB for jamming loud.It's like tubes down low and SS with head room for rocking out. You would have to have had McIntosh tubes 225 amp, it was clean back then and push those 15" woofers with ease and the mids did not blow you out of the room.... Pop had mono blocks on his Klipschorns in the early 60's when I was a teenager. No HDMI ports etc and I got sick of the maintenance and lack of pre/amp features, been SS amps for decades now. . I purchased 6 sealed LP for Christmas. Stanley Jordan "Flying Home" Stairway to Heaven is cool I also have a FLAC from him too "Magic Touch" song Eleanor Rigby" is cool too. Watch him on Youtube and what him play.odd style. Chet Atkins "Sails" Dire Straits songs on it very cool.

Cool I will check them out too. Avionic PM me a quote on repairing the A-1000 and a complete recap price for a Yamaha M-50/70 A,AB amps for a C-70. Sheri is killing them with over time now I have some extra $$ after Christmas is over. I hope in the next few months a new O9ML/II and have the A-1000 completely checked out and repaired. Then C-70/M-70 and move A-1000 to bedroom system. Class A amps at 75/80 dB have killler bass with my efficient Klipsch...then slide into AB for jamming loud.It's like tubes down low and SS with head room for rocking out. You would have to have had McIntosh tubes 225 amp, it was clean back then and push those 15" woofers with ease and the mids did not blow you out of the room.... Pop had mono blocks on his Klipschorns in the early 60's when I was a teenager. No HDMI ports etc and I got sick of the maintenance and lack of pre/amp features, been SS amps for decades now. . I purchased 6 sealed LP for Christmas. Stanley Jordan "Flying Home" Stairway to Heaven is cool I also have a FLAC from him too "Magic Touch" song Eleanor Rigby" is cool too. Watch him on Youtube and what him play.odd style. Chet Atkins "Sails" Dire Straits songs on it very cool.
:tresbon:

Back
Top Bottom