Project One Quad Receiver?

MitsuMan

A buddy of mine picked up a Project One, Mk 3B Quadraphonic receiver. Is there a connection to Pioneer, and does anyone know anything about this piece of equipment? There doesn't appear to be a model number or a power consumption sticker on the back. He doesn't have a digicam so at this point I can't post any pics, but I'll work on that. :thmbsp:

Thanks in advance for any help!

Craig

Project One's stuff seems to always look very much like Pioneer gear of the same, or slightly before, time period. I don't know that anyone has confirmed a relationship between the two, but I'd always just assumed that Pioneer made Project One stuff under contract.

Supposedly, Project/One was a subsidiary of Pioneer and was distributed by Playback Inc. which owned the Playback Stereo stores from the 70's and 80's. It was one of the house brands that they sold during that time period.
Not sure about the quad units but the Mark 1500 was their best offering and it rivaled just about any of the major brands TOTL units.

As the owner of three Mark 1500s, I'd say it looks something like a cross between a Pioneer SX-1050/80 and 1250/80. That said I'm not entirely sure it really was built by Pioneer as it also has similarities to Hitachi receivers. Nonetheless they are nice units to have.

From ORION:

PROJECT
RCV, MARK IIIB

Manufacture Years: 1978 - 1982

Retail
MSRP: $399.00
USED: $34.00
Wholesale
Mint: $20.00
Average: $11.00

Back
Top Bottom