• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec Valencia ?????????

arrow51

New Member
Hallo,
Can you give me a helping hand to identify which model these speakers are?
I have sought for pictures in many sites and finally i found Zonker92 post here "http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=504457&page=3", but I couldn’t match them up in a definitive way.
The cabinet dimensions are: centimeters 70 width x 50 depth x 75 height approximately.
The ID references of components inside are as follows:
- speakers 416-8A
- crossovers N801-8A
- drivers 807-8A
- horns 811 B
IMHO they should be Valencias, probably 846 A, but I'm not so sure because of black painting over the horn and the so many ambiguous views I found on the net.
Do an official catalog exist? In which official document can I find references and specs for my model?
I'd like also to know in which years they were manufactured and, if possible, if there is a system to detect the year of construction looking at parts inside (which one? where?).
Any information will be greatly appreciated
 

Attachments

  • DSCF2849.jpg
    DSCF2849.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF2833.jpg
    DSCF2833.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF2839.jpg
    DSCF2839.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF2847.jpg
    DSCF2847.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 50
Register to hide this ad
846A cabinets re-loaded with newer(sorta correct) components.

Factory 846A load would be green 16 ohm components, 416A/806A/N-800F.

807-8A suggests a marriage of components in addition to all of the components having been married to empty 846A cabs.

Altec EIA/date codes as follows: 391 = Altec RETMA/EIA manufacturer ID

the three digits immediately following 391 represent the last digit of the year followed by the week of the year.

For example, a component stamped 391217 with alnico motor in black paint would indicate an Altec factory component built the 17th week of 1972. The same number stamped on a green alnico motored Altec component would indicate the 17th week of 1962.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom