Speakerlab S7s Rebuild and Modding (Ribbon Tweeter Model)

Nice workbench, James. :D

Thanks. It's a little small but it works for me. The top was rescued from some leftovers being sent do the dump, the frame is just square tubing and joints from the local hardware store.

The first box is done except for some sanding and drilling mounting holes and holes for wire pass through. As is usual for such things the second box is going easier than the first.

DSC01181.jpg DSC01183.jpg DSC01186.jpg

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
Crossover box nr-2 is now glued. I screwed up a little when marking the dowel holes for the back board and it sits very slightly rotated on the frame. It doesn't hurt anything except my pride, I'll have to do some extra sanding when it's dry to remove the slight overhang on the corners.

Tomorrow (I hope) I'll start planning the final layouts of the crossover sections and start cutting mounting boards for them.

DSC01187.jpg DSC01190.jpg

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
Today I was able to plan my layouts and have some 4mm plywood ready to cut tomorrow.

A month or 2 ago in a thread who's name I've forgotten Zonker92 related an idea that he had read about glueing wood dowels to a crossover board as a securing post for coils. I really liked the idea and today took it as a starting point and made some little wood mounting blocks for securing caps.

Starting with a board I used a holesaw to cut some holes about the same dia as the smallest of the new caps. Then I sawed off the sections with the hole in the middle, and then cut those sections in half right across the hole. So each hole section gave me 2 mounting blocks. After that I took a file and filed a slit along the bottom deep and wide enough to pass a cable tie through after the blocks are glued to the base boards.

A little filing to clean them up a bit and although they look a bit crude I think that they should work as advertised. Tomorrow I'll start making some for the larger caps.

DSC01191.jpg DSC01193.jpg DSC01195.jpg

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
Wow! Not only will you have sweet crossover enclosures, your caps will be cradled!

Wow! Not only will you have sweet crossover enclosures, your caps will be cradled!

Shades of Harry Chapin! :D Not only them. The coils will be on either cross-drilled pedestals or in cradles also. I still haven't decided if I'll use thin closed cell foam under everything and rely completely on cable ties to secure them or cable ties and hot glue. Probably some combination of all 3 in the end.

The pics show the rough layout, mid board on the left, woofer on the right, tweeter on top. The blocks/cradles for the first woofer board and part of a mid board have been glued and clamped and will dry overnight now.

I got permission at work today to borrow a soldering station for the next week and will bring that home tomorrow.

DSC01196.jpg DSC01198.jpg DSC01201.jpg

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
After this, I will never post any photos of my crossover re-builds. James, you are ruining this for the laymen :sigh:

After this, I will never post any photos of my crossover re-builds. James, you are ruining this for the laymen :sigh:

Huh? I'm at the very least a laymen, if not a rank amature. The last 2 months are the first time in 30 years that I've done any serious soldering (other than recapping the original crossovers a year+ ago), and this is the first time that I've ever attempted to build a crossover.

If I was smart I'da just glued the parts down on the boards and I'd probably be done by now. As it is glueing all of this wood together is eating up lots of time. Today I assembled and soldered the 1st woofer board. I didn't really get as far as I would have liked and now I'm getting a nasty headache so will call it quits for tonight.

Tomorrow's goal is to get the 1st mid and tweeter boards glued together and mark & drill the mounting holes on both boxes. I have to go over and buy some speaker wire also. If I get that stuff done early enough in the day I might be able to mount and solder the mid & high components in the afternoon.

DSC01232.jpg DSC01233.jpg DSC01235.jpg DSC01216.jpg DSC01217.jpg

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
James I noticed an error on your board. Would it not be appropriate to write the wire attachment points auf Deutsch...

LOL, I'll try to find space to make bi-lingual markings, Teiftöner, Mittletöner, Hochtöner and Verstärker. + & - are the same so I get to save a little space there. :D:music:

James

Today I got the mount block for the binding posts installed on the right box and the 1st tweeter board finished. The mid board took the longest to figure out how to lay everything out without having to resort to jumper wires. And I decided to keep 2 ohms of padding on the mid as it sounds pretty balanced that way now. That board now has it's mounting blocks glued and is drying.

Tomorrow's plan is to finish the mid board and start glueing blocks/cradles on the second set of boards. I hope to have them all done by Monday night or Tuesday morning, as well as the binding post block on the second box. So I could potentially be installing the first box & crossovers on one speaker by sometime Tuesday or Wednesday. I have the next week off and it will be an all audio week, with my speakers and 4 Yamaha amps to work on.

I'm really hoping to be able to listen to the speakers with new crossovers by my birthday on Friday. We'll see.

DSC01245.jpg DSC01246.jpg DSC01264.jpg

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
BTW, I bought 20 meters of 1.5mm² speaker wire today. That works out to somewhere between 16 & 15 AWG. Should be good enough to rewire both cabs.

Cheers,
James

Today was productive. I didn't get anything further soldered but concentrated instead on getting all of the boards blocked and cradled. So at this point I just glued the last blocks and all 6 boards will be ready for component mounting and soldering in the morning.

Since installing the binding post mounts on the second box would involve some hammering and today is Sunday (a "quiet" day in Bavaria) I was nice to my neighbors and put that off till tomorrow morning also. No big deal, 5 minutes of work and 8 hours to let the glue set. Once I pull the existing binding blocks I'll have to measure and cut out the openings to insert them. And I still have to mark and drill the mounting holes and wire pass-through holes, as well as the crossover board(s) mounting holes.

I'm trying to keep the amount of metal near the crossover coils to a minimum, and have also bought all brass screws for mounting the boxes and crossover boards. I also used some hole cutters to stamp out some 3mm (thick) rubber washers to place under the crossover boards to damp out vibration between them and the boxes.

So unless something goes wrong I should have the 1st speaker laid out on sawhorses by tomorrow afternoon for dissasembly.

DSC01266.jpg DSC01272.jpg DSC01274.jpg

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
Big progress today. All of the crossover boards are finished, all components mounted and soldered. And the second box has it's binding block mount glued in and is drying now. :banana:

Tomorrow morning I'll start installing all of this in/on the first speaker. Now that I'm this close to having the new crossovers installed I'm starting to get a bit excited.

DSC01277.jpg DSC01278.jpg DSC01279.jpg DSC01309.jpg DSC01308.jpg

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
Very nicely done! Thanks for keeping us in the loop :yes:

Thanks, and, you're welcome.

I didn't get as far as I had hoped today. The smallest things seemed to eat up enormous amount of time. Still, both crossover boxes are sanded, one box is mounted, and the wires to the drivers are in. The last thing that I did before calling it quits was to seal the wire pass through holes in the box and midrange enclosure.

I did get a fair amount of prep work for the second speaker done today so I'm hoping for better progress tomorrow.

DSC01316.jpg DSC01319.jpg DSC01323.jpg

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
... The smallest things seemed to eat up enormous amount of time...

At least your doing this for yourself and don't have a customer breathing down your neck. You can take your time and be certain that things are truly as you wish them to be this way.

At least your doing this for yourself and don't have a customer breathing down your neck. You can take your time and be certain that things are truly as you wish them to be this way.

Yeah, you're right, except that I'm the one breathing down my neck. I'm about a day behind where I'd hoped to be, mainly because of making many small mistakes that had to be corrected.

Anyway, the first speaker is finished. After it was together I checked the input posts with my multimeter just to be sure that I hadn't done something stupid that would short out my amp, got 3.6 ohms so I hooked it up for a very short listening test, confirmed that all the drivers made noise, and started on the second speaker. I realize that doing a longer test would be best but it's not like I'm going to stop with one of each so I elected to press on.

The second speaker should go a lot faster than the first. I did a lot of doubled work on the first one so a number of steps are already done, and this time I don't have to work out any solutions to the small problems that came up. I hope to be listening to music by mid day. After which I'll be pulling my amp to do some service on it.

DSC01335.jpg DSC01338.jpg DSC01342.jpg DSC01343.jpg DSC01344.jpg

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
So you're a day behind. Big deal. Ultimately you can rest easy because you know you took the time to get things where you want them to be; if it was for a customer one can be tempted to take shortcuts here and there.

So you're a day behind. Big deal. Ultimately you can rest easy because you know you took the time to get things where you want them to be; if it was for a customer one can be tempted to take shortcuts here and there.

Once again you are completely right. So today I took my sweet time about getting started. My back was a bit sore anyway from lifting these things up and down from the sawhorses etc. My son had the day off and came over midday to pal around and help, which made it even more fun. And easier on the back.

Anyway, we finished the second speaker, paused to eat lunch, and then sat down to listen. When I woke up this morning Rory Galagher's first album was running through my head and I took that as a sign that we should play that cd. To be honest I really didn't expect any major differences in sound. I had hoped for some crisper bass, and expected the mid to brighten up a bit because of the poly caps.

I sure didn't expect a serious difference in the high end because the tweeters had some kind of poly cap to begin with. But surprise surprise the tweeters FR has increased considerably, enough that they are overshadowing/overpowering any other changes. Bass has tightened up some but I'm not getting a clear picture of where that is because the high end needs to be padded down.

I'm not upset or dissapointed with these results in any way. I made a serious change in the system and fully expected that some adjustments will need to be made, I just expected that the mid would be the place where I had to start. But this is exactly why I wanted to get the crossovers external and divide the sections up. Once I get a handle on things it will be easy to add some padding where needed.

Which brings me back to Monday. I have been procrastinating terribly concerning running REW and doing some measured sound checks, and finally sat down Monday before starting the first speaker to deal with that. And couldn't get a squeek out of the program. I sat for 2 hours and fought with it before just giving up and starting with the box work. ANd this morning I finally figured out what I had done wrong. A seriously rookie dumb mistake. I had plugged the patch cable from my laptop into the Aux input on the amp, and, wait for it, yes, into the mic input on the laptop. So the moral of this story is that 2 inputs don't make an output. Pissed me right off for being so stupid, but at least I know now what to do tomorrow morning. :D

A couple of other points, the one pic shows the rubber isolation pads that I cut to place under each crossover board, and the last pic shows how the leads were connected to the binding bosts, soldered into a ring lug and screwed down rather than the push on spade lug that I used before.

So at this point I have some tuning to do and then will have reached every initial goal that I wanted when I started out with this project 1 1/2 years ago. Except that now I've pretty much decided to buy the new Wavecor mids that I talked about earlier, am seriously thinking that it's time to make the mid crossover a bandpass rather than let it run full range on the upper end, and want to learn more about Linkwitz-Reilly 4th order slopes. :D It never really stops does it?

DSC01350.jpg DSC01345.jpg DSC01330.jpg DSC01333.jpg

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom