Technics SL-1200 series as an audiophile turntable?

Had one, sold it, about to buy another...eventually going the tweaked-out RB250 route. VTA adjusting can be done with the Michell adapter, and I don't swap cartridges so having a removable headshell doesn't mean much to me.

I don't see it being my last or only TT, but it'd be something I'd like to keep for a long time. Even if I get that Teres, Scheu or Clearaudio I'm lusting after, there's a place for a rugged Technics somewhere.

Can you guys please comment so we have it here too!!

I'm not sure I'd pay extra for features you won't be using for simple playback.

I know there are high dollar audiophile turntables out there that my Technics will never compare to.

However, I have (2) technics SL-1200 M3D (right aftre the MK II) that I used for DJing. I've been getting more into audiophile listening and I've got some decent solid state equipment and speakers.

I am wondering if anyone uses the technics SL-1200 series turntables for detailed listening rather than DJing. It's super strong DD motor is very attractive to DJs (who use vynil). I removed the DJ cartridge and put in a shure M97x and it sounds pretty good.

I also have a vintage Yamaha YP-D6 which sounds very good.

Does anyone else use a Technics SL-1200 series turntable in an audiophile type system? Should I stick with my D6?

i totally use my two 1200's (one is a Mk2 and the other is a Mk5) for serious listening!

although they are nothing alike, i see the SL-1200 much like the Linn Sondek LP12...both tables have been around for a VERY long time....that fact alone speaks volumes of their reliability, durability, and sound quality. while i don't have a Linn LP12, i don't really think i'm missing a whole lot with my SL-1200's....i like them and i'm keeping them!

I appreciate everyone at AudioKarma. I got embroiled in a thread on another site accidentally that was on this subject. Someone shared their misconception that the 1200 was designed to be a DJ deck and could never be used for serious listening. I politely shared its history and offered that many considered it a fine deck. Well, there were some responses that were more attitude than anything else.

OTOH, this thread has been a breath of fresh air. Even some with other decks have gone out of their way to say nice things about the 1200.

I don't have a 1200, but I do own a SL-1500 MkII and a SP-15, so I'm pretty close. I keep thinking about getting a tricked out KAB modded 1200, but I'm pretty happy with what I have.

Doug

Yes this thread is nice

And some of the best at AK are on it. (I mean you guys). I have been looking at the 1200 for weeks now and have wondered so many things about it and what kept me from buying was that I too thought it was a DJ table and not so much for the Audiophile. I saw the great price at Wally and even their write up is all about DJ's. And I don't even know what comes with the table from their writeup! I also saw the higher end model I keep forgetting the number its black and 538 bucks. I guess I kept from buying thinking I ws not a DJ style player and maybe this was not for me. But so many have said how beautiful this table is in general.

So I just wanted to throw my hat in here to say it has been a very hard decision for me based on the marketing I have seen. But it's you guys I trust.
I listen to all kinds of music and as you probably all know I have an ST-7, an ELAC 50H and a Zero 100 in the collection.

I have wanted a brand new table. NEW and beautiful and affordable. I will buy it if it really makes a difference in my system which is Advent, Crown and Carver based.
I will buy a beautiful cartridge for it also.
Tell me guys, is this it?

Old Tech...I wouldn't be the guy to make a decision for you. There are so many knowledgeable folks here who know much more than I do.

I bought mine because I wanted something that would be reliable and would last forever. Like buying a Camry or Accord. Not the best handling cars but they go on and on and on. And the price is reasonable. I also love the way the SL1200 Mk2 looks.

Rick

These tables, as has been said, are bulletproof. If I was in the market for a new table, I would have to go with the 1200. I have 4 Technics tables, 2 DD and 2 BD. They are built to last, even my SL-220 which was on the lower end of the Technics tables in the late 70's. I don't think you would regret one either :)

Indeed, the 1200 is a GREAT machine... I just snagged an SL-1301 from a fellow AK'r not to long ago...built a little better than the 1200 Mk II and later incarnations...but with some of the KAB mods made for the 1200...the 1301 is REALLY sounding GREAT. However, the 1301 is a suspended design so I'm not sure that it's a 100% fair compairison...but I'm sure the 1200 is every bit as good with some minor tweeks.

I would easily do a 1200 with the Sumiko HS-12/Jelco HS-20 headshell and the fluid damper alone. These things are well built machines that simply put, do their jobs!

Joey

I bought a brand new SL-1200MK2 last June and it is a superb machine in every respect. I have no complaints whatsoever.

I also have a '70s SL-1200 (original version) that I bought last summer on CL, and it still works like new and sounds wonderful. That says something about the build quality of Technics turntables!

Old Tech...I wouldn't be the guy to make a decision for you. There are so many knowledgeable folks here who know much more than I do.

I bought mine because I wanted something that would be reliable and would last forever. Like buying a Camry or Accord. Not the best handling cars but they go on and on and on. And the price is reasonable. I also love the way the SL1200 Mk2 looks.

Rick

Hey Rick,

I guess I just need to step up and buy it. I don't know what is holding me back as you said that price is reasonable and they are certainly in high regard. I would really love to be using it and be pleased with my decision.
Thanks for the support! :thmbsp:

I have a 1210 M5G with the fluid damper and Shure V15III cart with new SAS stylus and it is easily the best sounding turntable I have heard for the money (I have listened to some that are worth more than my car). I also use to DJ so the 1210 is very familiar to me and easy to setup. You would have to spend a few thousand to get a comparable "audiophile" table. That is not to say that the lower end Music Hall and Regas aren't nice but I would rather have a Technics.

I guess I am a more of a music fan than an audiophile and the 1200 family really helps me along with this. My wife and I have lots of 45s so being able to change speeds and quickly start and stop is a definite plus.

I was saving up my dimes and quarters for a new SL-1200 of some sort, when I had the opportunity to get a restored SL-M3 instead. I went ahead and got the rare M3, because I knew that Technics would continue to make 1200s.

Now if I can stop building up a collection of p-mount cartridges for the M3 and get back to saving up for a 1200....

I was saving up my dimes and quarters for a new SL-1200 of some sort, when I had the opportunity to get a restored SL-M3 instead. I went ahead and got the rare M3, because I knew that Technics would continue to make 1200s.

Now if I can stop building up a collection of p-mount cartridges for the M3 and get back to saving up for a 1200....

You can get a new SL1200 Mk2 for $400.00, even less in some places.

I compared mine to a nice SL 1700 I bought and the 1200 is my preference even though the 1700 sounded great and has auto return on it. It just sounds a little edgy compared to the 1200.

I also recommend you get a Denon DL-110 or DL-160 homc cartridge as they work so well with this table.

But that's just my opinion.

It was on Amazon for $335 last I checked:drool:... just after I paid $250 for my battered and bruised used one. I knew it was going to happen to, too. I just felt it. D****T!:tears:

And some of the best at AK are on it. (I mean you guys). I have been looking at the 1200 for weeks now and have wondered so many things about it and what kept me from buying was that I too thought it was a DJ table and not so much for the Audiophile. I saw the great price at Wally and even their write up is all about DJ's. And I don't even know what comes with the table from their writeup! I also saw the higher end model I keep forgetting the number its black and 538 bucks. I guess I kept from buying thinking I was not a DJ style player and maybe this was not for me. But so many have said how beautiful this table is in general.

I believe you are talking about the 1210 M5G. It really is a beautiful table and if I get another table anytime soon this would be the one.

It's funny how long this debate has gone on. Back when I was in the Army, at the time of the introduction of CD's, the discussion was just as heated if not more. The rap crowd had to have the Technics for scratching and the rock crowd had to have the "serious" turntables for listening. The stigma of 1200's being solely for DJ use had to have been born sometime around then and sadly continues.

I fell into that trap long ago along with the whole DD vs. belt debate. Thankfully I have seen, and heard, the light. I have many belt drives from that era, some that would be considered better than the entry and mid-level boutique offerings of today, yet my main table is a DD Denon DP-47f. I bought the Denon back in '86 because the Technics were for my DJ and rapper buddies. No regrets because I know I still have a great table but I now feel like the 1210 M5G would be an upgrade over it and the Pioneer 115d, Sonographe SG-3, and Empire 598.

As for cartridges, the Denons seem to get rave reviews with these tables. I have both the DL-110 and DL-160 and they seem to pair nicely with the Technic's arm. The 103R may be a better step up.

From where I sit, the biggest weakness in the 1200 is the arm. However, there is a good conversion kit available to allow a bolt on swap to a Rega. I am sure a 1200 with a good Rega arm would be a killer sounding table.
I really believe there is something to this. Rega's arms are their strength and their drive system their weakness. And I get that the Technics is the inverse. Each 'table's strength is the other's weakness, so It would make sense to mate the two.

BTW, I've read through a couple very intriguing threads over at Audio Asylum by people who have "gone back" to the Technics after being frustrated with the shortcomings of 'tables such as Rega, Music Hall, ProJect and VPI. (I think speed instability is a real issue with most belt-drive 'tables for some listeners.)
They seem to have no shame about putting a Technics deck in their high-end set-up.

Last edited:
$362 on Amazon now.

MusiciansFriend.com was actually more expensive, they seemed to have the best price going for a while - I once ordered a 1210MK2 from them and received what was clearly a B-stock item, their return process was simple, but c'mon...

Think I'll be ordering it soon, then :)

I really believe there is something to this. Rega's arms are their strength and their drive system their weakness. And I get that the Technics is the inverse. Each 'table's strength is the other's weakness, so It would make sense to mate the two.

BTW, I've read through a couple very intriguing threads over at Audio Asylum by people who have "gone back" to the Technics after being frustrated with the shortcomings of 'tables such as Rega, Music Hall, ProJect and VPI. (I think speed instability is a real issue with most belt-drive 'tables for some listeners.)
They seem to have no shame about putting a Technics deck in their high-end set-up.

I am one of those people on the Asylum that went for the SL1210. I currently have a VPI HW-19mk2 a Sota Sapphire. The SL does one thing better that ea. of those TT's pace and timing. I am one of those that thinks there is nothing wrong with the arm on the SL. I rewired it with Cardas wire and put a Jelco headshell on it. I think thats all that arm needs. The bottom line is, I know of no other TT in the price range, or double that, that can compete. If you are not an audio phool like me you will be very satisfid with the SL-1200 variants........:thmbsp:

I have had my brand new SL1200 MK2 since last October and am very pleased with its performance and build quality. For the money and performance it would be one TT that would be hard to beat. I would not hesitate to buy another one if I had to.

Back
Top Bottom