USB Powered fan for AV Receiver

Hoodcom

I don't like the fact that my Onkyo TX-NR5007 HDMI circuitry can get pretty hot, so I've been keeping a 120v mini fan on it to help keep it cool, which works pretty well. The only thing is I have to turn the fan on/off by hand, since I have no 120v outlets on the receiver (Only complaint I have about my Onkyo).

Well, I have two USB ports on the receiver, one on the rear and one on the front, I figured I should utilize the rear port with this fan: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556088417.html

USB ports do turn off power when I shut the receiver off, so this would be perfect.

I have no main 12v trigger outputs, just Zone 2 and 3 12v trigger. Other wise I'd consider this fan, being 20mm x 20mm bigger, and a little more silent (under silent mode) and pushes a tiny bit more air-flow. http://www.svc.com/shark-b14.html

What do you guys think?

I was thinking that one of those lap top coolers would work. They have more than one fan, and they run off the usb also. Just lay it on top, and let it pull all the hot air out. Or do you have something sitting on top of your receiver?

I thought about laptop coolers too, as I have two, but I don't know how much air flow they provide. :scratch2:

No, I don't keep anything on top of my Onkyo unless it is pretty small, to not effect any airflow.

I went ahead and ordered the 5v USB fan (well two, might find another use) from coolerguys. I will post about it, since I am sure there would be others interested in something like this, if their system warms up a bit. :thmbsp:

Hmmmm. Personally I would not plug anything into those USB ports other than that they are for - iPods, flashdrives, etc. Not that the fan would draw a lot of power - it probably doesn't, but the power supply built into those circuits are pretty .......well lets just say they aren't made by Onkyo or as beefy as their power amp. Having a fan constantly pulling power from those USB circuits may not be good. I don't know for sure, it's just something I would avoid. Do you have a power strip or a power center that has auto-turn on for some outlets? What about another piece of equipment that may have a spare 110 volt acc outlet?

Jimmy

I've set up fans on my equipment using 12v computer fans running them off of unused ac power adapters (wall warts). I usually look for an adapter of about 6v in my collection of adapters so that the fan will run quiet. Then if possible I plug the adapter into a switched outlet on the equipment so it comes on when the device does. It works great.

I have three usb fans venting out the back of my av cabinet. Two are from coolerguys and the other is by Thermaltake. One fan is connected to the usb on the TV, and the other two to a PS3. Oddly, when I tried hooking one of the fans to the rear usb on my old Xbox 360, the fan would stay on after the Xbox was powered down. Haven't tried it with the newest gen Xbox, though.

Hmmmm. Personally I would not plug anything into those USB ports other than that they are for - iPods, flashdrives, etc. Not that the fan would draw a lot of power - it probably doesn't, but the power supply built into those circuits are pretty .......well lets just say they aren't made by Onkyo or as beefy as their power amp. Having a fan constantly pulling power from those USB circuits may not be good. I don't know for sure, it's just something I would avoid. Do you have a power strip or a power center that has auto-turn on for some outlets? What about another piece of equipment that may have a spare 110 volt acc outlet?

Jimmy

I found the amp rating of the rear USB port, and it's 500mA loads (like all computer USB 2.0 ports). Do you think that fan, at 0.23A (this would be 230mA, wouldn't it?) hurt it?

Well, my Kenwood Basic M2A amp offers a switched outlet, currently used for the center channel and a 15 inch subwoofer I added to the system... if I have to I could use it.

I've set up fans on my equipment using 12v computer fans running them off of unused ac power adapters (wall warts). I usually look for an adapter of about 6v in my collection of adapters so that the fan will run quiet. Then if possible I plug the adapter into a switched outlet on the equipment so it comes on when the device does. It works great.

I have plenty of fans lying around, just not power adapters like that, I'd have to buy one.

I have three usb fans venting out the back of my av cabinet. Two are from coolerguys and the other is by Thermaltake. One fan is connected to the usb on the TV, and the other two to a PS3. Oddly, when I tried hooking one of the fans to the rear usb on my old Xbox 360, the fan would stay on after the Xbox was powered down. Haven't tried it with the newest gen Xbox, though.

I never thought of running a fan off the TV's USB port. :scratch2:

Thanks for the tv's usb port idea. I've been trying to figure out a way to put a couple fans on the top of my plasma but only want them turning on when the tv is on. Hopefully the usb port isnt powered when the tv is off.

Buy one of those remote thingie-majigs. Plug than into it, and you can turn turn off with a push of a button all the way across the room!

Ben aka MacKat

I thought of that but then the remote gets eaten by the couch, someone leaves it somewhere, etc. I'd like to have the fans to be on when the tv is powered up....everytime without another remote hangin around.

Back
Top Bottom