Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Found a Teac PD-D900 at the Goodwill today. I didn't buy it, but it was still special for me.

It turns out that this changer, which I bought for $10 at my Borders store-closing sale, and marked as an AEI Music Network AEI970...IS A CLONE OF THE PD-D900! Compare:
rCI62l.jpg

xei45.jpg

Not the greatest changer ever (either version), but it sure was serendipitous.

That DBX unit is a cool pickup for a great price! I'm assuming it is used for reducing tape hiss and such from tape units. I'm wondering what the disc decoder part does.

DBX Disc Decoder was a feature only used with select LPs that were released in DBX-encoded format. To listen to these LPs, you'd set your source to Phono, engage the Tape Monitor and set the NX to Disc Decoder. The DBX-encoded LPs didn't sell well - likely as a result of the chicken/egg syndrome and the arrival of the CD.

Some of the DBX encoded lp's sound INCREDIBLE. Getting that DBX unit for a buck is a great score for sure. You might do well to search out a few DBX lp's if you can find them at a good price, it might be fun. Good score though.

Picked up a DBX model 21 for free on Friday, very nice condition and comes with the instruction book. Need to find some dbx encoded discs now.

There hasn't been any gear around lately, but I did manage to pick these up, on an out of town road trip. $2.00 for all, in very nice NM shape.:music:
DSCN2295.jpg

While visiting the in-laws today, we stopped at a church rummage sale that was nigh on closing time. I wasn't expecting much, but decided to check out the electronics section. Imagine my surprise then, when I see a Technics SL-1800 turntable sitting atop a Soundscraftsmen RP2212 EQ. Price for the pair: $15. Apparently in a mood to tempt fate, I decided to check out the rest of the show before making a decision. After wandering around for ten minutes, I returned...only to find that the price had been reduced to $5! In my absence, a Realistic SCP-31 cassette deck had been thrown in for no extra charge. I quickly made the transaction and took off with the goods. Hot damn!

While on my way to Manatee Springs, FL, for a fishing trip (the 1st part of my vacation), I found a small local thrift store behind Akins Bar B Que, 9 miles outside of Chieftan, FL. I managed to buy 2 TDK High Bias Casettes, sealed for $1. Not a bad start to a vacation.

I did pretty good this weekend at an estate sale! Picked up a pair of KLH Model 24's for $5.
Then I hit the Beatles LP lottery. I got the White album, 2nd pressing, numbered, with the poster and all 4 color photos, almost NM. Also got the Magical Mystery Tour, black label, colorband, 24 page insert, VG+++. Then, With the Beatles, the German version on the rare green Odeon label, NM. Also, Something New, 1967-1970, and Rubber Soul, but these three were newer pressings, but VG+++. All for $3 each! :banana:
Also got Santana-Abraxis, The Doors-Waiting for the Sun, Band on the Run, and Jimi Hendrix-Smash Hits. All VG+.
Now I am really itching for the rummage sales to start up here.

Last edited:
I did pretty good this weekend at an estate sale! Picked up a pair of KLH Model 24's for $5.
Then I hit the Beatles LP lottery. I got the White album, 2nd pressing, numbered, with the poster and all 4 color photos, almost NM. Also got the Magical Mystery Tour, black label, colorband, 24 page insert, VG+++. Then, With the Beatles, the German version on the rare green Odeon label, NM. Also, Something New, 1967-1970, and Rubber Soul, but these three were newer pressings, but VG+++. All for $3 each! :banana:
Also got Santana-Abraxis, The Doors-Waiting for the Sun, Band on the Run, and Jimi Hendrix-Smash Hits. All VG+.
Now I am really itching for the rummage sales to start up here.

Numbered means 1st pressing.

Numbered means 1st pressing.

I based in on the Goldmine book, and according to them, 1st and 2nd were both numbered, and the difference was on side one. Bungalow Bill was listed on the 1st pressing, and The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill was listed on the 2nd pressing. Mine is the latter.

I based in on the Goldmine book, and according to them, 1st and 2nd were both numbered, and the difference was on side one. Bungalow Bill was listed on the 1st pressing, and The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill was listed on the 2nd pressing. Mine is the latter.

Released Versions

First pressings (1968) - Mono AND Stereo versions
The standard Apple label.
The label DOES have "Sold in the U.K..." statement.
My stereo copy has "An E.M.I. recording" printed on the left above the 33 1/3 text, my mono copy does not. I can't say whether that's fixed on all variants though.
The sleeves are gatefold and are top opening, the front of which has an embossed "The Beatles", and a unique stamped serial number. Obviously the lower the stamped number the greater the value, so 0050,000 would be about £100, whereas 0000010 could be worth £5,000.
(My numbers, bought on the day of release in the county of Essex in England, are : Mono - 0609258, Stereo - 0387593)
The inner sleeves are black, and the album contains a free poster and four colour prints.

Second Pressings (1973) - Stereo version ONLY
As above, except, the sleeves are un-numbered, the gatefold openings are at the two opposite ends of the sleeves and the inner sleeves are white.
BUT, such are the vagaries of the printing plants, there are also numbered versions around of the end-opening sleeves.

Third Pressings (1982) - Mono version ONLY
Once again, the sleeves are un-numbered, the gatefold openings are at the two opposite ends of the sleeves and the inner sleeves are white, the Apple is light green and the vinyl is lightweight.
The MONO version of the White Album was deleted 31st January 1986.

Fourth Pressings (1995) - Stereo version ONLY
Standard Apple label.
Gatefold sleeve, poster and four prints.
The gatefold sleeve has a printed statement which reads:
"This album has been Direct Metal Mastered From a Digitally Re-mastered Original Tape to give the best possible sound quality"
This release is (surprisingly) on a lightweight vinyl.
Export Only Issue
There is also a "The Beatles" two vinyl set that was issued for Export only in 1968.
This had the catalogue number P-PCS 7067/8 and is very rare.
Instead of being on Apple, it is on the black and yellow Parlophone label with "The Gramophone Co Ltd" on the rim.
The set came with the same four photographs and poster as the standard release.
The machine stamped matrix on side 1 is YEX 709-1 Side 2: YEX 710-1 Side 3: YEX 711-1 Side 4: YEX 712-2.

Well after some research, though I couldn't find a definite, looks as though there were 3 U.S. releases of this album. The first 2 were numbered, but the earlier of the two had the errored Bungalow on side 1 track 6. This was an error which appeared at all U.S. pressing plants. Also the "A" in front of the serial means it was pressed at the Los Angeles location. By the way my reference above only pertains to UK copies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom