ADS L570 vs L570 II

fanghorn

AK Member
Subscriber
Is one appreciably better then the other sound wise? If so, can you swap the drivers and crossovers? Reason I ask is that I have read the II version is suppose to sound better and I have a pair of ea but the plain jane 570 cabinets are pretty trashed and if I could just swap out drivers and crossovers and havea II then that would be great :)

The main differences are in the woofers. The 1 used an aluminum former for the voice-coil while the 2 used kapton, essentially a plastic. There are pros & cons to both, mainly the 2 will handle it better if the woofer is bottomed accidentally. There may be minor differences in the crossover because the response is different between the two woofers. The 1 woofer would have a bit better high-frequency extension, the advantage of the aluminum former.

About 6 months back I bought a set of mint 1's because I could not pass up the price. I did not listen to them for quite awhile and was never really a fan of the 2's. The layout of the speaker is good with 1" tweeter & 8" woofer but they just didn't sound all that great to me. I expected the same of the 1's and was surprised when I listened to them with a good amp. They sounded really good, /face palm. Either I heard the 2's in a crappy set-up or the minor differences of the 1's are audible.

The main differences are in the woofers. The 1 used an aluminum former for the voice-coil while the 2 used kapton, essentially a plastic.

Is this the difference between all the 1s and 2s? I've got a pair of L780/2s and never did know what the distinction is.

John

Last edited:
Hmm, so you then prefer the 1's. Too bad the pieces won't fit in a pair of L400's I have :D

John

True enough, just wanted some thoughts on folks who know these alot better then I do, especially long term....

thanks to all :D

I have 2 s

A/D/S love these back in the day...
I have a pair of 2 's. Bought em new sometime late 80's i think. The surrounds came unglued at last about 3 years ago. I am in process of diy fix. Anyway I loved these things great mids and highs refined sound lows were ok. They sound nice with yamaha natural sound integrated from same time frame :yes:.
I remember buyin em at my local shop he only had 2's no regular model. Damn sorry i did not answer your question and i feel old :).

I have a pair of the II's. The only thing I have that is
close to the 570 II (size wise) are my L420's and IMO
the 570 II is a nicer sounding speaker.

I am pretty sure that 570/780 used the same woofers.
Interesting .....I just ordered a super clean set of L570 / 2 out of curiousity how they stack up against my JBL L46 & Sansui G5500 reciever....also have a pair of Polk monitor 5s also sound great behind the Sansui....

L570 / 2 out of curiousity how they stack up against my JBL L46
Looking forward to your comments. I found the 570/2 to have a dark sound to it compared to other ADS speakers, 420/520/710/810 that I had around that time. Maybe the ferrofluid was holding the tweeters back from singing as loud as they needed to match the woofer output.

Interesting .....I just ordered a super clean set of L570 / 2 out of curiousity how they stack up against my JBL L46 & Sansui G5500 reciever....also have a pair of Polk monitor 5s also sound great behind the Sansui....
I have a pair of Polk monitor 5jr's and a pair of ADS L570/2's.
my 5jr's have the later SL-2000 mylar dome tweeters, so they can sound a bit bright depending on what they're connected to.
The ADS 570/2's have a nice tweeter. They image well. The bass could be a bit better controlled. The 5jr's seem to have tighter bass, and do a better job controlling the bass. I think the 570's sound better at lower volumes than the 5's. I like them both, but if I had to just keep one pair it would be the 570's. They're so easy to listen to for extended periods. In a larger room a powered sub might be a good idea to get a little low end impact, nothing crazy. Just adjust just above where the ADS's roll off and turned up just so you even notice the sub once you turn it off.

Back
Top Bottom