Pioneer PL-6A

asp69

Just picked this up at a garage sale this morning for $3.00 I know very little about turntables but I saw it was a Pioneer and bought it on the name alone. Plugged it in and it doesn't work. Would it be worth restoring or not worth the hassle? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I'll venture a guess that the multi-layer capacitor is dead and needs to be replaced.
I have a very similar PL-7E idler drive and its capacitor only held enough charge to get the table running for about 30 seconds then it would drain, and the motor would slowly lose power and die. So I replaced its multi-layer cap with separate but equal value caps, and its one of the nicest TT's that I have. The motor now works fine.

original multi-layer cap:
IMG_0317.jpg

replacement:
IMG_0329JPG.jpg

Also, check the idler spring to make sure its connected, and for its condition. And, check the condition of the idler wheel.

mfrench, does this capacitor affect speed or is it just for startup? Im guessing just startup.

The capacitor, on mine, a PL-7e, interfaces with a switch that allows for changing between 50hz and 60hz. In looking at the above link, it suggests that there is a similar switch on the PL-6. The capacitor also acts as a spark arrestor that crosses the power+ feed, and prevents popping thru the speakers when the deck is shut off.
I've not noticed any difference in any speed when I switched from 60hz (my local grid freq.), and the 50z setting. So I'm not sure exactly what that switch/circuit does; but it doesn't change anything with the 60hz grid frequency when switched to the 50z setting.
My guess is that it is a run capacitor, as my deck would only run for maybe 30 seconds when I would first run it, then would die. If I quickly fired it back up again, it would then run for maybe 15 seconds, then die. By the third try, it wouldn't start again. Once the capacitors were replaced, its worked perfectly.
Sorry for no direct answer.

Back
Top Bottom