first Sansui: 6060

soloz2

Well I picked up my first vintage receiver yesterday, a Sansui 6060 receiver. It looks to be in pretty good shape and supposedly all the lights work and it is in great working condition. I paid $45 for it which I figure was a decent deal.

I have used a vintage receiver before. My dad still has his old Pioneer SX627 (I think that's what it is) floating around somewhere. I used it for a short while when I was in High School to power a couple 10" woofers before I knew what I was doing! lol. I know he still has it somewhere so I might try to see if I can get it next time I go visit.

But anyway, back to this Sansui, I also picked up some Deoxit from Radshack yesterday and plan to give it a good cleaning before I try to power it up. I know the unit is 40wpc, but is there anything else I should know about this unit? I'll post some pictures maybe later today.

Congrats! The mid-range x0x0 series of Sansui's (6060/7070/8080) are from the mid 70's and are excellent sounding receivers with VG FM tuners.

And they are also bargains as well being well below the price of the TOTL models 9090/990/9090DB/990DB. :thmbsp: You will like it's sound.

Paul

I love my 7070. It is a solid performer. If I had any complaints, it would be that it tends to sound a bit on the bright side. I think if I couple it with the right speakers that won't be an issue. You will be pleased and $45 sounds like a fair price to me.

KingBubba said:
I love my 7070. It is a solid performer. If I had any complaints, it would be that it tends to sound a bit on the bright side. I think if I couple it with the right speakers that won't be an issue. You will be pleased and $45 sounds like a fair price to me.

IMHO, it's the speakers.

My 7070 sounds bright on my Boston A-170's but solid on my Yamaha's and my Sansui SP-X6900's.

It seems to me that the sound of Sansui's did slowly move away from the mellow sounding AU-xxx series thru the slightly less mellow x0x0 series and then to, what I consider, the best 'balanced sound' receivers of all -- those mighty G-x000's!! :thmbsp:

Paul

hmm... does anyone know if I can expect bright sound from my Infinity RS2 bookshelf speakers?

well I just dug into it. things look pretty good, but dusty. I did find some rust on the bottom and what looked like light 'water' stains in the dust. so I got most of the rust off and gave it a light coat of wd40 on the bottom (kept it away from the components) I can always come back and fix it later.

I sprayed the pots with deoxit and they should be good to go.

I checked DC offset and looks like I'm good to hook some speakers up and give it a listen.
DC offset is right around 3-4mV for each channel, which from what I understand is damn good for a receiver this old.

soloz2 said:
hmm... does anyone know if I can expect bright sound from my Infinity RS2 bookshelf speakers?

Most book shelf speakers will tend to sound bright, since most are pretty weak for base. I have a pair of Boston CR-6 2 way bookshelf speakers in the MBR and added a KLH Basebrite II, "Sub" that only goes to 45Hz, so it’s not much of a sub. Together, the three sound very good. Without the KLH, brite describes it, mostly due to the lack of bass.

yeah, it's a little bright, but not too bad.

I think I'm going to use the Little Dot II+ headphone amp I got today as a pre-amp to give it a bit warmer tube sound (tube amp with RCA inputs and outputs)

without further ado, the pictures!

and the one main flaw in the exterior

and my desk/work area with my audio setup (left to right)

As you can see the receiver is in pretty good condition. The only thing is that it has definitely been in a smoker's house for some time. This thing reeks! It's a lot better after i cleaned it out, but still. I'm looking for tips on how to get rid of the stench.

A rundown of the rest of the equipment pictured:
DVD player on the work bench: Philips DVP-642 (currently interested in selling)
Speakers: Infinity RS2
amp on top speaker: PIMETA
receiver: Sansui 6060
SACD Player: Sony SCD CE595
DAC: Entech Number Cruncher 203.2
amp: Little Dot II+
headphones on stand: Koss A250's
headphones in front: Sennheiser HD595

just looked up the serial # and it looks like that receiver was made in early 1978, the last year the model was produced

soloz2 said:
Please, anyone with tips to get rid of the smell! it's driving me nuts!

Well it's expensive but deoxit makes a great PCB cleaner as well. The nicotine is coated on the board and insides, and the heat is making the nicotine layer cook and smell

What I'd do is go to a GOOD auto parts store, and get CRC electronics cleaner, bigger can, still a cleaner, and a lot cheaper than deoxit. get the wood off, stand it up so the cleaner (and residue) will flow out/off the receiver.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting that kind of stuff in your eyes from splash back is no fun, I’ve been hit with carb cleaner, :tears: and I'd imagine that stuff is not much better

outlawmws said:
Well it's expensive but deoxit makes a great PCB cleaner as well. The nicotine is coated on the board and insides, and the heat is making the nicotine layer cook and smell

What I'd do is go to a GOOD auto parts store, and get CRC electronics cleaner, bigger can, still a cleaner, and a lot cheaper than deoxit. get the wood off, stand it up so the cleaner (and residue) will flow out/off the receiver.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting that kind of stuff in your eyes from splash back is no fun, I’ve been hit with carb cleaner, :tears: and I'd imagine that stuff is not much better

Additional comment, don't hose down the tuning gang, it could affect the alignment and such. (unless you are going to get it alinged...)

I use CHOMP!, a bio-agent cleaning solution. It 'eats' all that crud and turns it into harmless gunk that can be wiped up and -- no smell. Works very well on nicotine-lathered units.

Paul

Guaranteed Nicotene Erradication Procedure.

Soloz. Following these instructions precisely to get rid of the smell completely and permanently: Place Sansui 6060 together with the L. Dot into a properly constructed double box with enough foam and styro to choke an elephant and send them to me Fed Ex express. Smell should now be gone forever unless of course you want the box and the packing materials back! Heh, Heh. Seriously that is one fine looking Sansui with terrific specs! Congrats!:banana: :thmbsp: Beani

Also have a 6060

I'm also a recent 6060 purchaser, and I'm really happy with it, and it has more power than most people will ever need. I was just looking for a good reasonably priced power source for vinyl and CDs, but what has really surprised me is the great radio reception.

You paid way less than I did, though I did purchase mine from a used electronics store that cleans and checks out everything and offers a warranty.

Welcome and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom