Pants: Cuff, no cuff, pleats, no pleats?

Pants style

• Cuffs and pleats

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Cuffs and plain front

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Plain hem and pleats

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Plain hem and plain front

Votes: 51 58.0%

• Total voters
OK, advice solicited... I'm short but with good proportions, with a slender to athletic build. I've owned all sorts of combinations, but never really developed a preference. Question is, do you think cuffs (or pleats, for that matter) tend to make one look shorter?

I think there's a little truth to that idea, but it's subtle...not enough that I'd change because of it. I personally think guys who have a slender, athletic build should go flat front, plain hem, regardless of height.

Mid 70s Leisure suit pants. Bright lime green with a red racing stripe down each side. Extra wide bells cause when I dance I like the bottoms to show some flare...............:banana:

On a serious note, I no longer wear suits, ties or anything else remotely related to the business world. It's levis and/or shorts for this old boy now and I am diggin' it....................:smoke:

I think there's a little truth to that idea, but it's subtle...not enough that I'd change because of it. I personally think guys who have a slender, athletic build should go flat front, plain hem, regardless of height.

I'll add that your shorter guys should stick with 2-button jackets. If you must have a 3-button, make sure it has the lapel that "rolls" over the top button. Please - no 5-button politburo suits that JohnVF favors.

Lord what an unexpected question! Down here I made it through the winter without having to put on long pants at all. I have cargo pants though, somewhere. Not pleated. I did have to attend a funeral up North in PA. I was traveling in the RV at the time and I went into a Macy's and asked the gentleman in the Mens department what to buy to wear and I wound up with pleated dark gray cuffed slightly puffy pants, a Black loosely cut linen jacket and a slightly fancy shirt and bright tie. I felt like I should have a Posse with me! Nice change from flip flops and a Hawaiian shirt! It went over well. So I guess I have one of each.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lord what an unexpected question! Down here I made it through the winter without having to put on long pants at all. I have cargo pants though, somewhere. Not pleated. I did have to attend a funeral up North in PA. I was traveling in the RV at the time and I went into a Macy's and asked the Black, Gay gentleman in the Mens department what to buy to wear and I wound up with pleated dark gray cuffed slightly puffy pants, a Black loosely cut linen jacket and a slightly fancy shirt and bright tie. I felt like I should have a Posse with me! Nice change from flip flops and a Hawaiian shirt! It went over well. So I guess I have one of each.

Funny story! Similar experience for me... I went shopping (also at Macy's) for nice shoes for the first time since my separation, and had no idea what to buy. I solicited the advice of a couple also browsing the shoes, and they were very helpful and glad to be asked. I get a lot of compliments on the shoes!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have NEVER EVER heard trouser 'Turnups' called 'Cuffs' before (in the UK, a term for shirts only) - but hey, I don't get out much :rolleyes:

To answer the question, Cuffs only on suit trousers (but not always), plain hems, and no pleats. :smoke:

EDIT: I seem to have stopped this one dead in its tracks :eek: :pity:

Last edited:
I like my pants with pleats,cuffs, and tailored. Pleats don' make me look fat. I weigh 145 lbs. I prefer Italian cut suits. English cut suits make me look to thin.

Last edited:
Hmm... never saw this thread...

IMO, pleats are dreadful. As for cuffs, I prefer plain with no cuffs. Traditional rule is that cuffs should only be present on pleated pants.

More important than anything else is that clothes should fit properly and suits should be properly tailored for an individual's body. Speaking of suits, I prefer 3 button single breasted with functional sleeve buttons.

Hmm... never saw this thread...

IMO, pleats are dreadful. As for cuffs, I prefer plain with no cuffs. Traditional rule is that cuffs should only be present on pleated pants.

More important than anything else is that clothes should fit properly and suits should be properly tailored for an individual's body. Speaking of suits, I prefer 3 button single breasted with functional sleeve buttons.

We seem to be in agreement on this. Especially on the "pleats are dreadful" part.

Pleats are better looking and much more comfortable, if they are properly tailored and worn at the natural waist. Problem is that men's fashion now dictates low rise pants, which look bad on almost everyone, except emaciated fashion models. And low rise, and pleases look terrible.

Cuffs are a sign of good tailoring. They have fallen out of fashion because they cost more to sew and use more material. No good, in our ready to wear world.

I don't like the way pleats "diaper" on me. :no:

+1

I hear ya.

Anyone with an "athletic" lower body looks ridiculous in pleats. The pleats get pulled apart and then bunch up horizontally due to all the fabric getting pulled from the backside. :yes:

I have tried pleated pants that didn't do this, but then the waist was 5 inches too big.

I have the same/similar issue with jackets/blazers. 44" chest and 32" waist, and I'm only 5'8". Tailoring is not optional, it is required.

(I am not the fat guy in my avatar :) )

Last edited:
Cuffs and pleats for me.

Also, I prefer the term 'chinos' to 'khakis', as the latter is a color, not a style.

I haven't had to worry about them for a long time, due to my current work assignment, but when I did, I tended to have mine tailored for length, only because my inseam is 31 inches, and such trousers off-the-rack are sold in 30 or 32 inches. Either they drag on the ground or they look like I'm wading through a minor flood.

If I wear uncuffed trousers (not chinos, but proper trousers), I have them tailored for length in the proper manner, which is higher in front than the rear. They should be long enough to break slightly on the top of the dress shoe in front, and cover the rear of the shoe in the back down to a quarter inch further down than the welt.

It has been a VERY long time since I have worn a suit. When I did, I went for semi-bespoke. I only had a complete bespoke suit made once, for my wedding. Them was the days. $4,000 suit, $500 shoes. And someone stuck gum under the pew where I sat prior to my wedding, so the trousers were ruined for my wedding. No more of that nonsense. I would not spend that amount on a car, let alone a suit.

Is this thread-crapping? I can never tell. Trying not to do it.

\

Is this thread-crapping? I can never tell. Trying not to do it.

No.

Thread crapping would be to say something to the effect of:

"What the hell does anyone care about what kind of pants we wear when well over half the world can't afford pants, you bunch of high-street, capitalist, pigs!!!"

Back
Top Bottom