Miida TT

That's a brand name I've not heard. I wonder if it's a private label or regional brand.

Miida was or is a pretty big importer/exporter who sold some equipment under their own name in the 70s or 80s. It was good midlevel equipment, and given that many japanese tables are actually built for for the ostensible manufacturer by CEC, it has a good chance of being practically identical to similar looking tables from other companies, and perhaps just a bit better since they were trying to establish their name in the US. As with most equipment, proper setup may be more important than paper specs.

I am restoring mine, was buffing the dust cover with a power buffer, and it threw the cover off the table and smashed it :tears: I'm so mad at myself, no way I'll find a replacement for that :(

Not sure, my miida table is exact copy of that denon, its a heavy TT, well built, dead quiet, not bad for a garbage find like 10 years ago :)

Thread from the dead! I found one of these at a yard sale a couple years ago for $5. Best money I ever spent! Little bit of cleaning and lube and...wow.

I first heard of Miida as a copier company. Then, perhaps 25 years ago, I picked up a used receiver of the same name. It's no Denon, but in a vague way it reminds me of the Sansui 331 551 etc.

Got it home and it sounds nice! Heavy plinth. I've never owned a manual TT. Is the platter supposed to spin even when the arm is on the rest?

Depends whether it has an on/off switch for the platter that is separate from the arm, or whether the moving the arm activates the switch. If there isn't any other switch, you'r going to have to figure out why it doesn't shut off when the arm is in rest position. Might be a sticky cam or a bad microswitch.

How about some pictures?
That might help remote diagnosis.
I suspect you are going to have to go in and do some surgery, and some pictures will help us kibbitzers give you advice.
What you will have to do is to remove the platter, secure the arm (and, ideally, remove the headshell and counterweight). Make sure nothing is loose, and turn the table upside down on a cloth so that the dustcover is supporting the base (it occurs to me that you should first make sure that the turntable itself can't fall out of the base-- every japanese table I've seen has the baseplate trapped even though sprung, but who knows?
Then figure out what screws need to be removed to take off the bottom. Remove it, and see what the problem is -- if it isn't obvious what you need to do, pictures will really help.

Got it home and it sounds nice! Heavy plinth. I've never owned a manual TT. Is the platter supposed to spin even when the arm is on the rest?

It is a total manual TT. Power switch for turning the platter on & off. No mechanisms or switches attached to the arm. Great TT. I got mine with a Ortofon OM30 cart, great combo.

Attachments

• IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom