Beautiful vintage Jensen TF-3 speakers

nickrobotron

una bella tazza di caffe
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-RARE-19...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item415b543810

I love the idea of owning these speakers. They're local. About 8 minutes away. I'm concerned though because replacement parts are probably very rare and I'm not even sure how they're going to sound. If I bought them, I'd probably recap them and do whatever repair the surrounds call for, but even after that, I don't know if they'd be able to replace my L77's.

What's a fair price? And if anyone has experience with these, how do they sound?

IIRC I had a pair of the TF-3C's. They sounded like absolute ass. Typical rolled off highs of the era. Boxy sounding and overall underwhelming. Honestly though I don't know if they are the same beasts or not. Hopefully someone will chime in and know for sure.

I had a pair of TF-3s as well and the above sentiment of them having an ass-like sound is correctimundo. In all seriousness what little I remember about them was "boxy" and terrible highs. I should note that this is my assessment of a lot of vintage speakers so don't take it to mean that it isn't the sound that you're after. I just flat out did not like them and gave them back to the guy who gave them to me.

Haha. Jeeze. I'm really glad I asked. I'll let these go to someone who can appreciate them just for their age.

I have a beautiful pair of TF-3A, you can see them here -http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249711. They came free with a Fisher 500C.

They are nice to look at, but I'm going to have to third the opinion that they sound like ass. I suppose that they are OK if you absolutely need something to make some sound. I keep them around, just because they are purdy.

I have a beautiful pair of TF-3A, you can see them here -http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249711. They came free with a Fisher 500C.

They are nice to look at, but I'm going to have to third the opinion that they sound like ass. I suppose that they are OK if you absolutely need something to make some sound. I keep them around, just because they are purdy.

Those really are pretty. I can't remember if the pair I had were 'a' or 'b' or what. But your assessment of them having scrambled mids/highs fits my memory. Like a bunch of drivers fighting with each other to get out of a box.

What a bummer that you don't like the sound. Your pair look so nice.

Even though they sound like ass, would they be an upgrade to the Lancer 77's that I have? I really like the sound of these. If you have heard a pair of these, give me your brutal opinion. :)

I had some TF-3Cs at one time and at their best were mediocre.They were nice looking with the split wood/cloth grill but if you needed to replace the cloth it was a bear.

What a bummer that you don't like the sound. Your pair look so nice.

Even though they sound like ass, would they be an upgrade to the Lancer 77's that I have? I really like the sound of these. If you have heard a pair of these, give me your brutal opinion. :)

I will go out on a limb and say not even close. The Lancer 77's probably sound better just sitting there quietly. :D

John, it seems you are the go to Aker on vintage crap! :D

These are the type of speakers I like to play with. The decor has that old world charm but the highs and middle are messed up.

The woofer looks like alnico. I would replace the tweeters with soft domes and modify or install new crossover. Should now sound good with low wattage tubes(Radio Craftsmen c500) or old Sony ss(receiver 6060 or 1120 amp).

Bringing back an old thread, I just found some Jensen TF-3C speakers that look pretty cool and don't sound all that bad. The bass is pleasant and I'd consider upgrading the crossovers and tweeter... but, it's a good platform to start with, especially for fans of other vintage speakers, like KLH and Advent.

544089_10151352936647817_1140122406_n.jpg

Look, if you wish to play The Seekers playing Georgie Girl or other pop and soul or Motown from the early 60s to 70s, these a nice speakers. If you have a low powered valve amp, these are highly efficient with lots of warm musical bass. There is a bit of unwanted sheen to the high end, much like a poor man's period EMI DLS 529x. Except these are not Dangerously Loud Speakers.

For my money, and I paid $40 today and listeneing as I type, these are very good mid 60s speakers for snappy soul and pop music. Again, like Roy Orbison or Elvis. Or Albert King blues. But they will not do today's crazy deep loud bass and synthesized searing highs justice. But Bobby Darin and Sinatra's Summer Wind sounds great with lots of bite to the trombones and zing to the strings.

Back
Top Bottom