Sony STR-V2 vintage receiver worth much?

reeltorock

I found this receiver at a thrift store today, it's in very good condition, only one scratch on the top of the faceplate, all lights work, clean controls, good tuner section. I'm thinking of putting it on eBay since I'm into collecting Marantz gear right now. What do you think she's worth? It's built really solid and looks cool with the vivid green lighting. It'll get a full cleaning inside and Deoxit before getting sold. If someone knows a link to vintage Sony specs that would be great too!

Attachments

• SonySTR-V2small.JPG
    SonySTR-V2small.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 214
Found the following specs in a scan of a 1979 Vancouver, BC, Canada newspaper:

25WPC @8ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.3% THD
True complimentary DC power amplifier
Uni-phase IF filters
PLL in multiplex decoder
FM frequency linear dial scale
FM inter-station muting
Tape input and output
Professional stepped volume control
11-position stepped tone control
Loudness compensation switch
Signal strength meter
Centre channel meter
Stereo indicator light
AC convenience outlet: 1 unswitched
Stereo headphone output
Wooden side panel supplied

reeltorock said:
I found this receiver at a thrift store today, it's in very good condition, only one scratch on the top of the faceplate, all lights work, clean controls, good tuner section. I'm thinking of putting it on eBay since I'm into collecting Marantz gear right now. What do you think she's worth? It's built really solid and looks cool with the vivid green lighting. It'll get a full cleaning inside and Deoxit before getting sold. If someone knows a link to vintage Sony specs that would be great too!

That's a BOTL Sony. There may have been a V1, not sure. The TOTL 150 wpc V7 got $177.00 in a recent auction. Maybe worth about $30-$40 on E-Bay in nice opertating condition. Not working...probably next to nuthin'. Just not much demand for it.

However, the one you find looks GREAT for what it is. Very nice photograph. :thmbsp:

Nice little receiver. Not going to get much for it as persons generally are looking for the big boys but IMHO, these types of units mated with the right speakers can provide 99% of what the big boys deliver.

Rather than eBay, why not put it up on the AK classified sections first and see if you can get what you like to see as a reasonable return on your investment and time.

Sony Str-v1 Soothes Toddlers At Nap Time!

and yes,there are V1's out there.I donated one to
our local headstart school,that I got at a church sale
for $2.00 and for sound I hooked them up with a
pair of Celestion 5 speakers,a GW score for $6.00!
the teacher was very grateful as she tunes it in to
a classical fm station out of victoria B.C. to
quite the little monsters at nap time.
and maybe some future Ak'ers get a headstart!!!
:boring: :boring: :boring: Sluggo

STR-V2 for sale in AK classifieds

After spending time cleaning the receiver thoroughly and using Nu-Trol on all the controls, it's up for sale in the AK classifieds! It's a shame, if it weren't for three scratches the receiver would be 100% cosmetically mint...check it out :D

I had a V2 for a while at the cottage, had paid $80 for the unit, it had been professionally restored and was in mint condition. This model was among the last decent quality receivers manufactured by Sony before the brand abandoned the mid-fi segment for the low-end (Sony) and high-end (Sony ES). No idea what it was worth new but the build quality is better than most 25w receivers in its class. Unfortunately it was damaged beyond repair by a power surge during a thunderstorm. Apparently it was too much for the protection circuit to handle.

I have a V4 and it is as good as any I've heard. Heavy and clean power. Personally, I like the layout and the green lights.

I had a V2 also and it was in mint condition to look at and played perfectly.In the last year or so I have unloaded 16 Receivers of all makes: Sony,Sansui,Pioneer,Aiwa,Toshiba,Hitachi,Sanyo,Akai,Heathkit just to name a few.Many I picked up because they were thrown out so these were N/C,others for as little as a Fiver but none cost over Twenty.Cleaned most up and that was it.What was their value?I averaged 50-60 per unit sold so I made a few bucks in total.Wanted to keep them all but had no room.Getting ready to to the same with Speakers as I have too many as it is!

The interesting thing with these Sony receivers is that they used the same chassis & faceplate as the STR-4800(SD), 5800(SD), et cetera, but internally they have different circuit topologies. These impressed me as having better build quality compared to the V2. The STR-4800 uses Darlington STK modules for the output transistors.

Last edited:
I got a V3 for $20 locally and with a bit of cleaning and tuner restringing it works great. It had some damage to the veneer but other than that looks mint. They are nice units.

Yep, very underrated receivers. This is my 6800SD that impressed enough to have solid walnut side panels made for it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Dave

Attachments

• STR-6800SD_02.jpg
    STR-6800SD_02.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 275
  • STR-6800SD_05.jpg
    STR-6800SD_05.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 435
  • STR-6800SD_10.jpg