Redboy's setup from the audio underground

If I ever scrounge one up, I'll probably just go with a different base and tonearm. Maybe an SME. I don't think I have the skills to build something like your Skele-208.
And neither do I. :no: If you follow the link in the first post, you'll see that I had little to do with the end result.

The good news is it sounds even better than it looks!

Awesome Nate.
Thanks Gary!

I like it too, most days.

This hobby is much more about the journey than the destination for me. I guess "good sound" is the ultimate goal, but there are so many paths to good sound that I'd rather not limit myself to the shortest, straightest road.

My system's main strengths are probably resolution and imaging. I love a good stereo effect, and when things re right, they're really right. As revealing as it is though, when something's out of whack, you can't ignore it.

I don't have big thumping bass, and though my speakers might be capable of some really high volume output, I don't listen that way.

Absolutely fantastic. I truly admire your DIY skill...its obviously lead to one of the most personal, unique systems. Just a beautiful looking setup. My Empire 208 is shaking in its hollow wood base just looking at it!

Absolutely fantastic. I truly admire your DIY skill...its obviously lead to one of the most personal, unique systems. Just a beautiful looking setup. My Empire 208 is shaking in its hollow wood base just looking at it!
Thanks for that, John. The DIY thing is what keeps me interested - I find that the "off the shelf" solutions are typically short-lived in my system, even when they sound good.

Thank you very much for sharing your system. I've learnt from this.
Lee, take all that you've learned from me with a healthy dose of skepticism. :)

I still feel like a total rookie (dumbass?) in this hobby. I know for a fact that I don't have golden ears. I have a lot of respect for the guys here who have been doing this for a very long time, who can be more subjective about what they're hearing, more deliberate about what changes they make, and more helpful to the rest of us in the analysis of the results.

Very cool system! Especially good to see so much DIY in there. Many thread documenting your projects have inspired other members, including me, to try their hands at building audio stuff. It can be incredibly rewarding to do so.

Keep it up!

az

Lee, take all that you've learned from me with a healthy dose of skepticism. :)

I still feel like a total rookie (dumbass?) in this hobby. I know for a fact that I don't have golden ears. I have a lot of respect for the guys here who have been doing this for a very long time, who can be more subjective about what they're hearing, more deliberate about what changes they make, and more helpful to the rest of us in the analysis of the results.

I hear you Nate, but there is something to be said about good use of a room. In this respect, I think you've nailed it. The room image made me want to come over to your place, lie on that couch and spin DSOTM with the lights out. You have a very welcoming and cosy room there!

Oh. I like your snuggle buddy on the couch too!

I like it too, most days.

I don't have big thumping bass, and though my speakers might be capable of some really high volume output, I don't listen that way.

How low would you say the Dixielanders usefuly reach?

Despite the cozy-looking nearfield look of the setup, the fact that it's comprising of big horns and bass bins certainly look like it could easily blast one back to kingdom-pain! That's the greatest strenght of highly-sensitive setups: to play at low levels so effortlessly and beautifully, mostly due to low cone excursions.

az

They don't dig that deep, az... 50hz on a good day, maybe? :dunno:

They're heavily dependent on corner reinforcement.

Yes, with more juice they could cause real pain. The Dixielanders and the JBL compression drivers are more commonly found in theaters and pro audio applications, after all. But that's not the point here, obviously.

They don't dig that deep, az... 50hz on a good day, maybe? :dunno:

They're heavily dependent on corner reinforcement.

Yes, with more juice they could cause real pain. The Dixielanders and the JBL compression drivers are more commonly found in theaters and pro audio applications, after all. But that's not the point here, obviously.

That's not bad at all. A big room might find them lacking, but I bet it's adequate in your setup.

az

Cool set up.

I really dig the speakers, so simple and clean in both function and appearance. In a "previous life" I used JBL 2420s on Edgar saladbowls and enjoyed them a great deal.

Thanks Tom.

I'd like to hear more about how you had them set up, what bass bins you used, crossover points, and whether you used a supertweeter or not. I've got a Fostex filling in the top end.

This speaker setup has turned out to be perfect for this period in my life, where tiny people in the house are drawn like flies to dustcaps and paper cones - there's not an exposed cone anywhere here! For a while, there was a real danger of the horns rolling off and injuring someone (they actually made their way to the floor a couple times!), but my leather and gravel pillows have taken care of that.

Back
Top Bottom