The new temporary record-testing rig.

andx0r

This system's creation was borne out of:

1. The hundreds upon hundreds of dirty formerly garage-stored records my parents have given me.
2. Several EEEK! moments involving playing unknown records on my regular table leading to me deciding to test out any unknown records on a different table first.
3. My laziness and dislike of hooking and unhooking different tables to my main system all the time.
4. Giving said different table (a Technics SL-23) to a relative so they could play their old records.

So, I've set this up to test out sketchy records after I've run them through the Spin-Clean:

15094543231_ac4fd63f13_z.jpg

Sanyo CEC TP600 table from Bob in WI. Sold for cheap with the warning that getting it set up right was a bear. And it was the truth, I had to do a LOT of diddling with anti-skate weights, tracking force, and alignment to get it playing nice. Result very worth it though. Threw my M97XE on it.

YES, I LIKE DIET MOUNTAIN DEW.

14910903140_7077ee766e_z.jpg

Onkyo Integra amp

15094544631_409a30407c_z.jpg

DCM CX27 speakers.

Amp and speakers both bought from AK-ers too, though I've forgotten who :derp:

And I threw up some orphaned sleeves as decoration, just to motivate me to get the rest of my records cleaned:
14902089880_cc7d7a6889_z.jpg

I've still got about 350-400 records to clean too. Sigh. When that's all done, this setup will be taken down and I'll probably go back to just swapping tables around when I have more used records to test.

Considering the number of records that you need to go through it makes good sense to have a dedicated system for that.

I've gotten in the habit of swapping out my JICO SAS for a $13 EVG stylus for checking out "new" records. Quick and easy.

That's an idea I've definitely given though to, but then I'd have to get a different cart on my main table. And I really like the Denon DL-110 that's on there already.

Geez, I dunno how you can just set your speakers on a brick..
I'd be so afraid of scratching them lol

Good idea, looks great. I've got a Technics 1600 with a M97EX that I'll use for testing $1 / GS LP's to see if they warrant further cleanup, then to be played on my daily table.

Problem is, LP's in not completely cleaned up condition sound better on the 1500 than they do on my higher end table. Do you find the same thing?

Good idea, looks great. I've got a Technics 1600 with a M97EX that I'll use for testing $1 / GS LP's to see if they warrant further cleanup, then to be played on my daily table.

Problem is, LP's in not completely cleaned up condition sound better on the 1500 than they do on my higher end table. Do you find the same thing?

I haven't done any critical listening to compare this table to my Denon/DL-110 table, but this one doesn't sound bad at all.

Geez, I dunno how you can just set your speakers on a brick..
I'd be so afraid of scratching them lol

They're just some spares I have. They're already a little dinged up anyway :D

I was trying to sell this stuff, but the system has gotten a second chance around here.

I finally convinced my parents they should have a decent stereo for all of the music they own.

15351362387_f3ba275b91_b.jpg

The table and the Oinker, along with an Onkyo C7030 cd player I no longer use. That little oak stand is something my mom's stepdad made for me about 20 years ago to place an aquarium on. It just happens to be perfectly sized for holding a modest stereo as well.

DCM's are tucked away where they're not so visible in my parents' sitting room:

15537380645_1bcbd450a8_b.jpg

15537380175_5c384fdbde_b.jpg

After I got it all set up, mom threw on a Simply Red CD and was like 'holy crap! that sounds great!' So, the stuff will stay for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom