ESS Tempest LS5

zvardanian

I picked up a pair of these at an estate sale. Cheap.

Anyone know anything about them? It looks like there is a large hole in the back of them, radiator perhaps? I haven't tested them and can't seem to find a lot of info about them. Tweeters look to be in good shape...woofers need to be refoamed I believe.

I'm not sure I can use them...is it worth having them refurbished? (not by me...I haven't the skill).

I have a pair of LS-4's of the same lineage. The hole in the back is indeed for a passive radiator. Replacement diaphragms can be had from Simply Speakers or eBay, FWIW. I like mine, but I wouldn't exactly call them the epitome of accuracy. I'd guess your looking at $100-150 to have a pro refoam the woofers and replace the passives. I'm not sure I'd put that much in them, but I'm cheap.

I think they would be worth fixing. Refoaming will only take about 1 hour of work or less, and around $20 or less. Passive radiators are sold for cheap from Simplyspeakers.com which used to be ESSspeakers.com

Totally worth fixing, especially if you got them cheap. Go the DIY route to fix the surrounds (it's easy!); you'll only have to spend about $20 bucks, and you'll have yourself a nice pair of speaks. The tweets on those sound wonderful.

Actually, I went to Simplyspeakers.com and can't seem to find the radiator...can anyone link? Am I totally missing this?

Back
Top Bottom