Redboy's setup from the audio underground

Redboy

a few good watts
Subscriber
I'm trying to figure out how to summarize this stuff.

My system changes a lot because I'm ever distracted by shiny pennies, but some underlying themes exist:
  • I like to DIY
  • I like old, heavy turntables
  • I like passive preamplifiers
  • I like single-ended tubes (or valves)
  • I like efficient speakers
  • I like the whole KISS concept

My system's just a little bit off the beaten path. Flea-powered tube amplifiers producing just a few good watts, esoteric DIY stuff, idler turntables, giant horns. I listen at low volume, prefer jazz at this point.

The stuff (click through for threads with more pictures and information):

Vinyl stuff
Skele-208:

index.php

Phonostage is a Herron VTPH-1MC or a Bottlehead Seduction with step up transformers.

Preamp is a passive job, built around S&B TX-102 transformers:

index.php

Amplifiers are single ended EL84 monoblocks that I built.

0521013.jpg~original

Speakers are based on Edgarhorns.

0722005.jpg~original

Here are the best pictures of how it currently all comes together. When I brought the speakers in, I had to rearrange the room kind of radically and everything got stacked on whatever was convenient. I still haven't found a good solution for the stack - I'm still looking for a good "stand" or rack for it all. Oh, and the giant rack thingy that you see on the right side of the second picture is no longer there. :)

0722001.jpg~original

0721007.jpg~original

Last edited:
Here's another picture of the turntable. The tonearm is a 12" Thomas Schick, and I'm currently running a Denon DL-103 cartridge on it.

Last edited:
What a lovely system, and an inviting room you have.
I like the cupbord/shelf running around the room, good for breaking up reflections.
Nice pussy.
I would love to hear it all.
Cheers, Timo.

Wow, Nate, that's some fine gear. I'm digging the TT. I really want an Empire 208 right now. So what's still 208 original in your TT?

Wow, Nate, that's some fine gear. I'm digging the TT. I really want an Empire 208 right now. So what's still 208 original in your TT?
All the stuff that makes the 208 great is in the "new" version. That's the platter, bearing and motor.

Very nice and great DIY work! I'd love to hear it someday.
Regards,
Jim

All the stuff that makes the 208 great is in the "new" version. That's the platter, bearing and motor.

If I ever scrounge one up, I'll probably just go with a different base and tonearm. Maybe an SME. I don't think I have the skills to build something like your Skele-208.

Back
Top Bottom