Got Sansui Seven... How are these single digit models?

Arkay

Lunatic Member
I've been trying to get rid of more units than I buy, and become more selective about what I buy... but tonight I broke down and bought one unit I didn't plan to get and didn't really need: a Sansui Seven receiver. Some one should :whip: me for getting another receiver I do not need, but... well, people here know how it is: I got another interesting vintage receiver! :banana:
:screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

I was not very familiar with these single-digit models, and didn't recall anything about them from here, but looking at it, I noticed that:

It has a classic 70s-look to it, with silver-and-black front with lit tuning dial and meters and vented wood-veneered (not vinyl) case.
It is very heavy; surprisingly heavy for its size. Always a good sign.
It has separate adjustable high, mid and bass controls.
It handles three sets of speakers (A, B, and C).
It has NR (noise reduction) switch control.
It has a 4-channel switch control, although it is not a quad receiver.
It has a number of other nice-to-have controls and features.

At first I thought it actually had NR and 4-channel built in, but looking carefully it seemed what it has is the built-in capacity to handle these as external units using separate inputs and outputs on back with controls for these functions on the front. In other words, you can add separate NR units without having to use the tape inputs/outputs for it, and likewise you can connect a 4-channel processor "rear amp" and control it from this one. Well, you can't always have it all.

I couldn't test it on the street market, but for fifteen bucks, I thought it worth taking a stab at. The face is not scratched, but it is a bit dirty and the RCA plugs and such show a fair bit of greenish corrosion (common here on some units that age, due to sea air and pollution) and there are some chips to the veneer, so it will need a pretty thorough clean-up and Deoxit treatment, at the least. The lady selling it claimed it worked, but I doubt she had any idea whether it worked or not. I'll clean it up and try it. Hopefully it will work, at least without TOO much repaiir touble!

I found some info on these units here:
http://www.classicsansui.net/SingleDigitSeries.htm

From the description there, it sounds like a decent unit to me, with a 4-gang tuner and such, but I'll wait until I've had time to clean it up and check over it, before I try mine and decide. Willl post about it then, but since there are several units ahead of it in line, it may be a while.

In the meantime, anyone else here have one of these? If so, did I make the right decision getting this, knowing I need to invest some time to clean it up properly? Do they sound good enough, compared to some of the other more commonly-discussed Sansuis? [Be brutally honest ...please! :whip: ]

That is a nice looking unit. I recently bought a Pioneer reciever that I didn't need and really have no place for...but what can you do? I know that I can't pass up a deal and it looks like you got one (a deal). Let us know how it sounds!

I've got one, and like it very much. I think I paid $25 for it, and considered it a bargain for that. You got a very nice deal. I'm assuming that since you found the Classic Sansui site, then you also found the Seven brochure they have posted there. LMK if not and I'll send you a softcopy of it.

The thing that I find remarkable about it is the sheer number of connection options...two phono inputs, two tape monitor connections, an aux input, the 4-ch adapter in/out, the N.R. inputs and outputs, and pre and main outputs and inputs. If this can't handle it, then nothing will.

Note also that the three tone controls are not just detented, but actually multi-position discrete switches. They don't make 'em like that anymore!

AFAIK, it was the next to TOTL, just below the Eight.

No Output

I've got a Sansui Seven, too. Perfect shape in and out. And you're right... It weighs a ton for it's size. There's just one problem w/ mine. No nothin' at the speaker out connections. All fuses are good. I don't know where to begin. Any replies and honest opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I've got a Sansui Seven, too. Perfect shape in and out. And you're right... It weighs a ton for it's size. There's just one problem w/ mine. No nothin' at the speaker out connections. All fuses are good. I don't know where to begin. Any replies and honest opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I believe the Seven has pre-out main-in jumpers. If so, are yours in place?

I have an Eight Deluxe, so I may be off base here.

Do you get a "click" about 5 seconds after power up?

Rob

Oh Man!

Rob -

You are absolutely right. How did I miss that... But dig this.

I've a copy of the same photo of the back of unit that you forwarded to me for reference, but I also have pics of all pages of sales brochure. Here's the weird part...

I was looking at the first Pic in brochure that shows rear of unit (along w/ the front.) And in this picture, not only do they have the rear of the unit upside down, there are no jumpers present!!!

So, I need to come up w/ jumpers. Got a quick temporary jumper solution for testing? I'm gonna' check the jumpers on my Fisher X-101 to see if they'll do.

Thanks for your help.

B

Congratulations on the Seven!

I've got an Eight, that I fancy a lot.

I've used it in my office with a pair of small B&Ws for a few years to my full satisfaction. Now it is the living room with a pair of JBL L-86s, still looking extraodinary good, but a bit boomy in the midrange; guess it could be a unfortunate combination of receiver and speakers with both good mids!

Otherwise the singledigit Sansuis are keepers!

Peter, Denmark

Rob -

You are absolutely right. How did I miss that... But dig this.

I've a copy of the same photo of the back of unit that you forwarded to me for reference, but I also have pics of all pages of sales brochure. Here's the weird part...

I was looking at the first Pic in brochure that shows rear of unit (along w/ the front.) And in this picture, not only do they have the rear of the unit upside down, there are no jumpers present!!!

So, I need to come up w/ jumpers. Got a quick temporary jumper solution for testing? I'm gonna' check the jumpers on my Fisher X-101 to see if they'll do.

Thanks for your help.

B
Hello, Any standard 1 meter interconnects will do for now. It is here where you can also insert an EQ if one desires, without the need of running through a Tape Loop. Audioquest does make-sell high grade jumpers for about $25 a pair, and will be a sonic improvement over the standard metal U-Pins.

The Sansui Seven is a killer reciever. I've owned about 7 of them, gotten for friends over the years.
I actually like the sound of the Seven better than any 22xx series Marantz, and I've had just about every one of those as well. Mark

OK. Came up w/ jumpers. I do get a tiny bit of sound now. But it's only loud enough for a flea. A very small flea. Any suggs?

Well, if you are listening to weak signal on fm press the (fm) muting switch - turn down the volumen first!

Peter

One thing to be careful of in the single-digit series is that the glue holding the labels onto the pushbuttons eventually dries out and the labels - which are unobtanium - fall off. Re-gluing them if they're still there is a really good idea. :yes:

Make sure the tape monitor switches are not engaged. Try wiggling all controls and switches. May be dirty.

Rob

All switches are in proper config. Still nothing. I only get the weakest of weak sound. I'm talking volume @ 3:00 and I can barely hear anything - AM, FM, Tape input.
I'd like to immerse all switches and pots in tuner-cleaner, but can't even come up with a tool to unscrew 1/4" phone jack nuts that seem to be holding faceplate to chassis. I feel totally useless... arrrrghhhh.

IF you have some plyers - I use flat needle nose plyers - put some tap on the ends and use it to get those nuts off face plate. They shouldn't be too difficult - once started will hand turn.

Extremely important to get face plate off to access pots and swithces for Deoxt'ing. It's always the best place to start. May not fix problem but will eliminate the most obviouus before other diagnostics.

Better than pliers - I assume these are just round rings with no way to get a grip - is a neoprene stopper (AKA a cork), available in many sizes, cheap, at hardware stores. Just clean any oils off the retaining ring, push one end of the stopper firmly against it and turn.

Edit: OK, I just looked at the pic in the brochure and the exact tool would be a blade-type adjustable spanner. You probably don't want to spend thirty dollars or so for a one-time use so the neoprene stopper still looks like a good bet. If you're going to use any metal tool, be sure to put several layers of tape on the faceplate to protect it when the tool slips (it will).

All switches are in proper config. Still nothing. I only get the weakest of weak sound. I'm talking volume @ 3:00 and I can barely hear anything - AM, FM, Tape input.
I'd like to immerse all switches and pots in tuner-cleaner, but can't even come up with a tool to unscrew 1/4" phone jack nuts that seem to be holding faceplate to chassis. I feel totally useless... arrrrghhhh.

I had a dead Eight once. It turned out that the power amp section was dead.

Try to get a signal out of the pre-out and send it to any main-in on another integrated amp or power amp. Than will reveal if the power amp section of your receiver is dead!

Peter Q.

I grew up listening to a Seven as a kid. My folks still have theirs. Enjoy, I'm hoping to come across another one someday.

Back
Top Bottom