what do you do when listening to music?

I can dance and listen at the same time, same as I used to march and play the saxophone at the same time. I guess I'm just talented that way.

Drink alcohol or coffee, or both. Write. Surf the web. Tv's on, no sound. Listen. Listen. Listen. And I suck at multi-tasking.

S.J.

Last edited:
:smoke: :beer: :sing: :rockon: :drunk: : :gigglemad: :tears: :puke: :boring:

Thats about right .

There ya' go. Lights down with focus squarely on music and system when listening to main rig. Always with a drink.

My bedroom system, however, gets it's workout when I workout, fold clothes, clean house, or enjoy the company of my girlfriend (my 8080db has dirty pots and I have stopped sex to correct static in a channel....she's such a good sport)

2.1 channel HT rig plays music when I'm in the kitchen or chillin out watchin a concert...which is what I spend most of my time watchin on the TV.

Might fire up Pandora when I'm doin' desk work down at the shop but otherwise seldom listen to music when I'm surfin' the interweb . Too many distractions and I can't focus on a single one of them.

Sit on the couch and stare at the wall in between my Cornwalls.

Ditto, except they're either Forte II's, Quartets, Norman Lab Model 8's,
Pioneer HPM 1500's, HPM 900's, Onkyo Model 20's, or Rogers JR149's...depending on which couch I'm on.

Sometimes I look at my slippered feet, too.:D

(If I'm working in my studio, It's JBL 4412A's, but I'm staring at a computer monitor instead of the wall):music:

Last edited:
A lot of the time, I sit back and surf the web. Other times, I close my eyes and just listen!

:music:

Usually....I sing along..which to my ears, sounds like my voice is blending in nicely with the actual recording artist. Mute the volume real quick to see how I sound and than immediately stop singing and turn off the music all together cause i'm disappointed.

Browse AK! What else?

:thmbsp:

Ayup. But w/ music that's not very intense. Right now its Vivaldi. Calm. Peaceful. Painless.

Actually this bassoon concerto is demanding more attention than I expected.

End result: I either sit and listen like a good boy, or I'm also performing it simultaneously.

I'll make the same distinction that some others have made:

Sometimes I'll "listen" to music while doing other things like surfing the web or taking a shower. For me, that is background music I play because the main activity isn't occupying my whole mind; the music makes the activity go faster and seem more pleasant. Usually that means a CD or computer-sourced music.

But sometimes I just LISTEN to music. Then I do nothing else but listen, often with my eyes closed. Usually that music is coming off a spinning LP, or sometimes tape.

The former type can be anything remotely suitable, sometimes what is chosen by a deejay. The latter is always carefully chosen to suit my mood.

Oh, and anyone who thinks multitasking is a talent is either very ignorant, really deluding themselves, or making a joke (Of course, I think it was the latter, in this thread). Multitasking is the easy way out, produces (usually) worse results in each task, and requires less intelligence. It may even be a sign of a mental disorder such as ADHD. If the multitasking involves three challenging tasks, like riding a unicycle while balancing a kitchen pot by the handle on your nose while also juggling slippery live fish, then it might be a good form of training and a real accomplishment. But if the three tasks are no more challenging than watching a computer screen, it's nothing to be proud of!

During the day I listen while I garden, cook etc. At night it's time for 'serious' listening. If it's an opera I usually read the libretto. Otherwise I often listen with my eyes closed. One interesting change in my listening habits has taken place since adding Icon Audio 845 II 'Special' mono blocks.Previously I'd often read a book, magazine or something while playing music but my system now drags me so far into the music I can't concentrate on anything else. So if I want to read and not be too distracted I use the bedroom system instead.

I only listen; the music is simply too compelling to ignore, and the sound too immersive. Often times a cup of coffee will go cold, or a cold beer will go warm. Damn stereo.

Back
Top Bottom