Technics SL-1200 series as an audiophile turntable?

Ingjerd paid $50 for my excellent condition SL-1200 MK II. Had a Stanton 680 EE cartridge with a duff stylus on it. The bottom of one foot was missing (I just ordered a replacement from Panasonic). Dust cover with hinges is in nice condition. Pawnshop Karma. They gave us a week guarantee to boot. It has a 681 EEE-S II stylus on it and careful setup. :tresbon:

Plans are in motion for a custom painted and restored used MK II that is on it's way to me.

The table was heavily abused so I may put the M5g arm on it if needed, and replace the slider pitch and spindle.

These are solid, basic and fairly simple TTs that are capable of delivering worry-free performance, relative ease of use, and good to great (to fantastic) sound.

Easy to modify, upgrade, and tweak.

Or leave it bone stock and enjoy simply good sound.

Ingjerd paid $50 for my excellent condition SL-1200 MK II. Had a Stanton 680 EE cartridge with a duff stylus on it. The bottom of one foot was missing (I just ordered a replacement from Panasonic). Dust cover with hinges is in nice condition. Pawnshop Karma. They gave us a week guarantee to boot. It has a 681 EEE-S II stylus on it and careful setup. :tresbon:

Nice deal!

I have that 680 cart with a seemingly little used "something-65" stylus on it- maybe I should try the 681 EEE-II stylus as I would like a bit more midrange....

I have been running it on an SL-1710 MK II (like the auto-lift at the end).

Hey- how are the Thiels doing?

...I guess I just need to step up and buy it. I don't know what is holding me back...

I think this table sounds like a good match for you.

And hoped my private message helped out.

Two things-

1) if you get the base model, you can always upgrade the parts as time goes on.

2) usually in regards with Technics, if badged model SL-xx00, it is silver, and if badged model SL-xx10 it is either a charcoal grey or black model.

There are also some special edition models with gold (bling-bling) trim floating around.

Delihaus,

The Thiels are doing fine. We're using a McIntosh power amp, preamplifier, and a Sequerra tuner with them. This system is now in my office at work. Use a Linn LP-12 with Ittok and my custom PSU on it with a Dynavector MC cart.

I really believe there is something to this. Rega's arms are their strength and their drive system their weakness. And I get that the Technics is the inverse. Each 'table's strength is the other's weakness, so It would make sense to mate the two.

BTW, I've read through a couple very intriguing threads over at Audio Asylum by people who have "gone back" to the Technics after being frustrated with the shortcomings of 'tables such as Rega, Music Hall, ProJect and VPI. (I think speed instability is a real issue with most belt-drive 'tables for some listeners.)
They seem to have no shame about putting a Technics deck in their high-end set-up.

Why would they be ashamed it's all about the music not the wow factor?

Mate it with a good moving coil cart and you are made IMO.

I was looking at a high end turntable and someone made a very interesting comment, turntables can sound different but not necessarily better than each other.

I was looking at a high end turntable and someone made a very interesting comment, turntables can sound different but not necessarily better than each other.

I agree. In just the few short months of becoming a tablehead, playing with a million permutations and changes to my audio setup along with listening to four different tables, the only conclusion that I've come to with certainty is that they all sound different depending on what else is in the chain. Could be the cart, could be the mat, could be the tonearm cable, could be the ampp, the pre-amp, on and on. I've done so many comparisons and reconfigurations that at some point or other all the tables sounded awesome.

Barring distinct, audible 'flaws' like wow and flutter, and obvious cheap low-buck fare it's hard for me to imagine making easy claims that such and such table is clearly better than such and such. There just seem to be too many variables.

Maybe it's like love, when it comes to finding the right tt: Sometimes it's at first sight, sometimes you never realize what you had 'til its gone, sometimes you just have to work at it to make it work. :smoke:

I agree. In just the few short months of becoming a tablehead, playing with a million permutations and changes to my audio setup along with listening to four different tables, the only conclusion that I've come to with certainty is that they all sound different depending on what else is in the chain. Could be the cart, could be the mat, could be the tonearm cable, could be the ampp, the pre-amp, on and on. I've done so many comparisons and reconfigurations that at some point or other all the tables sounded awesome.

Barring distinct, audible 'flaws' like wow and flutter, and obvious cheap low-buck fare it's hard for me to imagine making easy claims that such and such table is clearly better than such and such. There just seem to be too many variables.

Maybe it's like love, when it comes to finding the right tt: Sometimes it's at first sight, sometimes you never realize what you had 'til its gone, sometimes you just have to work at it to make it work. :smoke:

Well spoken about the ability of quality tables to sound good and the ability to customize or tweak the sound with all those variables.

I'm in agreement.

The SL-1200 was created as part of the SL1n00 line and not especially for DJs. The DJ community adopted it because of the slider pitch control and because it was built like a tank. It is by no means a shabby TT and with proper cartridges capable of very good results.

so I've been looking around town for an excellent quality used/vintage TT to no avail. I think I might just cave and buy a 1200mk2 brand new if I can find a good price on it.

What do you guys think?

Its good, I guess...

Everyone here seems to like it although there has been mention of the arm and its wiring as being less than what is desired. That may be true I do not know for sure. I have been debating the 1200MK2 vs the SL-1210MK5G for a long time now. Usually when people raise concerns here I listen.

Do these things ever go on sale anywhere? I saw that some sellers on amazon marketplace have some decent prices, but I'm very wary of making a huge purchase like this from somewhere like ebay or the amazon market.

Do these things ever go on sale anywhere? I saw that some sellers on amazon marketplace have some decent prices, but I'm very wary of making a huge purchase like this from somewhere like ebay or the amazon market.

? Amazon had it for $335 last week, direct. Not from a third-party I don't think. And they're return policy is excellent, even if you had to pay for return shipping it should come out cheaper/same to the prices offered elsewhere.

so I've been looking around town for an excellent quality used/vintage TT to no avail. I think I might just cave and buy a 1200mk2 brand new if I can find a good price on it.

What do you guys think?

Since most 30+ year old SL-1200s are still running fine today, if you buy a new one, I'd expect 30+ years of use out of it too.

And parts being readily available, if something does poop out, it's available.

With the average price of an SL-1200 as low as $360, or lower- but let's stick with $360- if it lasts 30 years, that's a cost of...

$12 DOLLARS A YEAR. OR $1 A MONTH.

Do you think that's a deal?:scratch2:

Everyone here seems to like it although there has been mention of the arm and its wiring as being less than what is desired. That may be true I do not know for sure. I have been debating the 1200MK2 vs the SL-1210MK5G for a long time now. Usually when people raise concerns here I listen.

The wiring is fine. It just is a bit better with the MK5G, and even better if you get it re-wired with Cardas wire.

The RCAs are better too, I believe. But so are the $6 a pair Petra cables you can add yourself.

If the arm is better, or just finished fancier- I dunno. Around $50-$60 for the stock arm, $100-$110 for the M5G arm. The arms may be exact, with just upgraded wire.

If indeed one finds the arm to be the "weak link", seems a $3 package of shrink wrap or plumbers tape helps, or add the KAB fluid damper at $155, and call it a day.:yes:

? Amazon had it for $335 last week, direct. Not from a third-party I don't think. And they're return policy is excellent, even if you had to pay for return shipping it should come out cheaper/same to the prices offered elsewhere.

wow, i guess i just missed it directly. i didn't see any option to pick it up from amazon. maybe i'll just hold out and wait to see if they get more in stock. i love amazon, so i'd have no problem ordering from them directly.

Just a note-

Some places sell it extra-cheap, but remember to consider service, return policy, and how they handle goods.

I am not a fan of Wal-Mart for many reasons, but I'll put those aside and ask you only to consider this-

Do you think Wal-Mart handles turntables any more than a shipment of BBQ grills or Huffy bikes or badminton sets?

If something goes wrong, will you get the service or assistance you would from a stereo shop or the level of someone used to taking returns on misses' plus size underwear and broken lawn furniture?

Can the employee give you any answers, knowledge or assistance regarding your purchase, or will you be met with blank stares?

Just food for thought....

wow, i guess i just missed it directly. i didn't see any option to pick it up from amazon. maybe i'll just hold out and wait to see if they get more in stock. i love amazon, so i'd have no problem ordering from them directly.

I recall them being $365-$369, with a $30 dollar off coupon or incentive.:yes:

I'm toying with the idea of doing a "shootout" review of my Technics 1210 M5G versus a Dual 1228 and a Pioneer PL-115D. I've tweaked the Dual slightly: new interconnects, new platter mat. The 1210 and the 115D are stock.

The sound that I'm getting from this old idler wheel 1228 is pretty good, and I've already been able to detect some distinct differences in audio playback using the same record. Same with the 115D.

If I were to do this, I'd put a Stanton 881S on each table. I couldn't do the classic A/B, double - blind or anything like that. It would simply be my impressions of relative performance from tables that were designed within a a few years of each other (yes, I know the M5G is an updated 1200 MK II, but it's close enough to the original where it counts to be useful in this exercise).

It may take me a while to complete, but it'll be something fun to do while I'm listening to tunes, and I'll post the results here when done.

I recall them being $365-$369, with a $30 dollar off coupon or incentive.:yes:

ah man, i hope they come back in stock. i have a feeling this may have been amazon's way of getting rid of their stock, never to return again. I have it on my wishlist, so hopefully it'll come back soon

Apparently the price fluctuates daily. A couple of days ago, Amazon was selling the 1200 directly for $355.00 and I was all but ready to pull the trigger. Of course, the deal disappear the next morning.

I was all ready to get the Audio-Technica AT-PL120 since I'm not a heavy LP user. However, at about $350.00, I figure the 1200 will be a better deal in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom