Realistic sta-95 receiver

If it's in good working order, I thought that was a very reasonable BIN (i.e., I was tempted). In fact, I mentioned it in a thread here on AK about "bronze receivers". This is a very nice looking model IMO.

Caveat emptor... I claim no responsibility if it's a lemon :)

Dunno... but probably. It was near the top of the line at the time (1979-ish). I can check the catalog at home tonight if you're interested in specs (not likely to say country of origin... though Lafayette DID provide that info even in those days).

I have one on my desk at work driving inefficient ADC 303ax speakers. Sounds just fine. For a couple years before that it drove KLH Model 6's in my daughters bedroom. I seem to remember it being 65wpc, not 45. I would offer you that one but I think it started to exhibit circuit protection issues. I leave it "on" all the time at work.

$70 is an okay price I guess. Maybe a little high.

TA

According to fmtunerinfo.com the better Realistic receivers for tuners is the STA-2280, 2500, 2600 and 2270. No mention of the one your inquiring about. It is a nice looking receiver, some people buy for looks alone, I buy for sound quality, I can't comment on the sound, I've never heard one of those before.

I see now that he has the manual so it's a 45wpc receiver. I also see that his bin price is $90. I only saw the opening bid thing at $70. That's a lot of money for a 45wpc receiver. While the face is not quite silver, it's nowhere near bronze(on mine at least. More like gunmetal). It's also kind of big for 45wpc.

TA

Originally posted by DanTana
According to fmtunerinfo.com the better Realistic receivers for tuners is the STA-2280, 2500, 2600 and 2270. No mention of the one your inquiring about. It is a nice looking receiver, some people buy for looks alone, I buy for sound quality, I can't comment on the sound, I've never heard one of those before.

Hey Dan.
Did I miss something on fmtunerinfo? The receiver page does not seem to be up yet....
Erik

If you see the review for the Realistic TM-1001 it reads :

Realistic TM-1001 (1979, $180, photo, schematic) - Much more attractive, cosmetically, than the TM-1000, the TM-1001 is solidly built, with 4 gangs and 4 filters. Based on input from former Shack employees, we now believe that the TM-1001 was built by Foster Electronics for Radio Shack. Our panelist Ed comments: “Before mods, the T-1001 lacks sensitivity and isn't very selective with its stock 280 kHz filters. After adding an amplified filter board and replacing the stock filters, it's a pretty good tuner for the money spent. Selectivity can be as sharp as you want to make it, and the AFB really picks up the sensitivity. The stock output caps must go. Realistic's 'Auto-Magic' tuning is a nice feature - it's similar to Sansui's quartz lock, but Realistic thought to make Auto-Magic defeatable.” The TM-1001 usually sells for $35-70 on eBay, with a high of $99 for a stock one, and a TM-1001 with audiophile and DX mods sold for $225 in 10/03. See how one TM-1001 sounded compared to other top tuners on our Shootouts page. Although the TM-1001 was Realistic's best tuner, some say the real Shack surprise is the STA-2280 receiver, which has excellent sensitivity and is great for DXing after a filter mod. According to Ed, other Realistic receivers like the STA-2500, 2600 and 2270 are also worth a try. [EH][JR]

Per fmtunerinfo.com

Thanks Dan!
Makes things LOTS clearer!
I guess I just have to read EVERYTHING on fmtunerinfo now...
Erik

Back
Top Bottom