My first three weeks on ak and my thoughts

Dave62

New system 46 years ago
I had no clue what existed here until one night about a month ago, while
trying to figure out what I could do to fix a Onkyo A-809 Ing Amp I picked
up on Ebay real cheap. Past owner said that while using it the sorce selector
would randomly change. Must have scared off other bidders got it for $50.
I went to google of coarse, searching for an answer and found a solution
it lead me to a AK thread with the answer, noted it, later logged in. Next I spent 6 hours reading and being the audio nut I am, readily wanted to learn every thing I could. Next day I become a subsriber so I could dig deeper.

Though I though I had a good understanding after selling Audio 10 years 75-85, WRONG!!! Next and up till now, being retired and with not much to do in the winter. Sick of computers retired from selling, repairing, teaching, all that goes with them after 25 years. I have now read about three novels worth. I must say, I never new that there were so many people out in the world this interested in Audio, vintage or otherwise.

I am very impressed in the way AK is setup and run. All are welcome and all
get along, for the most part. The rich & poor, The knowledgeable & unknowing
all striving to keep it alive, teaching and helping fellow enthusiasts. Also
the Braggers if it was not for them we would never see or know what exits.

At this point my wife has been wondering if I exist, hiding behind my
computer now planning what were to be a converted set of Advents to Econowave speakers. I plotted, planned, and priced every part the last 2 weeks. Funny how you start simple and end up way over budget. They are now being build from scratch with Plywood, A better horn and HF driver, new 12" woofer, active crossover, bi-amped (being that I have 3 spares) & a Sub.

At this point I need to sell my one of my three fishing boats to finish in weeks to come. Well so much for my speech hope I didn't bore you. Now its time to find someone to teach me how to tune a speaker. I THANK EVERYONE....

PS:
I love the way when you break a rule someone sees it and sends you a PM sure makes me feel better. Is this to long, did I do it again, maybe I get away with it this time:D

Welcome to AK!
Hang around here enough and we will convince you that you need every piece of audio gear ever made........ :D

I had no clue what existed here until one night about a month ago, while
trying to figure out what I could do to fix a Onkyo A-809 Ing Amp I picked
up on Ebay real cheap. Past owner said that while using it the sorce selector
would randomly change. Must have scared off other bidders got it for $50.
I went to google of coarse, searching for an answer and found a solution
it lead me to a AK thread with the answer, noted it, later logged in. Next I spent 6 hours reading and being the audio nut I am, readily wanted to learn every thing I could. Next day I become a subsriber so I could dig deeper.

Though I though I had a good understanding after selling Audio 10 years 75-85, WRONG!!! Next and up till now, being retired and with not much to do in the winter. Sick of computers retired from selling, repairing, teaching, all that goes with them after 25 years. I have now read about three novels worth. I must say, I never new that there were so many people out in the world this interested in Audio, vintage or otherwise.

I am very impressed in the way AK is setup and run. All are welcome and all
get along, for the most part. The rich & poor, The knowledgeable & unknowing
all striving to keep it alive, teaching and helping fellow enthusiasts. Also
the Braggers if it was not for them we would never see or know what exits.

At this point my wife has been wondering if I exist, hiding behind my
computer now planning what were to be a converted set of Advents to Econowave speakers. I plotted, planned, and priced every part the last 2 weeks. Funny how you start simple and end up way over budget. They are now being build from scratch with Plywood, A better horn and HF driver, new 12" woofer, active crossover, bi-amped (being that I have 3 spares) & a Sub.

At this point I need to sell my one of my three fishing boats to finish in weeks to come. Well so much for my speech hope I didn't bore you. Now its time to find someone to teach me how to tune a speaker. I THANK EVERYONE....

PS:
I love the way when you break a rule someone sees it and sends you a PM sure makes me feel better. Is this to long, did I do it again, maybe I get away with it this time:D

Great intro, I suspect you hit it right on the head for many of us. Welcome, and enjoy!

What a GREAT hobby to have in Retirement! (or anytime for that matter).

Thanks for sharing and I hope you begin to write some more.
Maybe if the boats don't sell you can use them for scrap wood?

ahoy!

You are exactly right about the PM things. It's nice to realize someone is kind enough to pull a new member aside and personally whisper in their ear some "do's and don'ts."
Myself, I didn't take the time to thoughly read the rules but was fortunate eough to have someone PM me and it saved me from making a really bad ass of myself.
Still an ass but not such a big one!
Just remember....."...there's a seperate forum for that....!"

Welcome to the AK forum!

Fishing boats in New Mexico are about as common as White Tigers and Panda Bears.

Steve

:D
Welcome, Kentuck! You know you've got it bad when you're considering selling that hole in the water that you've been throwin' money into for a pair of speakers!
Hat's off to you for subscribing so quick! It is gratifying to see that others realize the value of this community like I did.
The admins and especially the moderators (unpaid volunteers) are what make this such a civil space in a wasteland of snarks, flamers and trolls. I read here recently on AK, "the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked!" That typifies the membership's attitude towards helping their fellow enthusiasts.

Drop by the Back Alley Pub, I'm pourin' Woodfords Reserve tryin' to raise some conciousness but ya better hurry cause there are some Tennishoesians in there who have never had real bourbon before....:D

Back
Top Bottom