Marantz Pmd 430 cassette deck ac power supply

I have the possibility of purchacing a Marantz pmd 430 stereo deck. the sell says it works well on batteries but has no Ac power supply. can it use a universal Adaptor or is it a special voltage?

it will have to be correct voltage and amps ..more amps is ok less isn't . voltage within 1 volt is maybe ok ..hope that makes sense

Marantz DA-36 is the original adapter - 4.5VDC, 700mA. There are two of them on eBay right now for $9.99...

I have one of these- IMO, it is worth getting the correct power supply. There wont be any more three head, dbx, portable cassette recorders coming on the market ever again.....:D

Hi, I had a 230 for years, that I used to power using a regulated universal adapter, with the correct voltage setting and plug. It worked like a charm. I don't think the original adapter would add anything more than being genuine, it was an ordinary design.

If I remember correctly, the best voltage setting was 6V, not 4.5V, Which makes sense since there was a 4.8V accessory battery that was supposed to be charged internally from the power input. 4.5V was not enough to fully charge it.

Interesting point. I never had the rechargables, so would have never known. My point was simply that he could get a "genuine" PS for a reasonable price, still. It is a great deck....

Hi, I had a 230 for years, that I used to power using a regulated universal adapter, with the correct voltage setting and plug. It worked like a charm. I don't think the original adapter would add anything more than being genuine, it was an ordinary design.

If I remember correctly, the best voltage setting was 6V, not 4.5V, Which makes sense since there was a 4.8V accessory battery that was supposed to be charged internally from the power input. 4.5V was not enough to fully charge it.

I believe the original adapter isn't of the regulated type and thus measuring the voltage without the load would read high. With a well regulated power supply I would want to set it for about 5V.

chan tran you are correct, the original PS is unregulated. 6.6V is the voltage with no load connected, while the quoted 4.5V is when fully loaded (which is never supposed to happen in normal use, there is always a safety margin, sometimes substantial). In actual use, the voltage can be anywhere between 4.5 and 6.6V. The usual power blocks don't have a 5V setting, but the proper voltage is not difficult to find really: there is a battery voltage check button on the recorder, you set the voltage for the needle to be in the right zone of the meter. I have just had the opportunity to check a CP230 with a regulated power block, here are the results. With 4.5V you are just in the bottom of the safe zone: the deck works ok, but FF and rewind are fairly slow. With 6V you are in the upper part of it, everything works fine. With 7.5V the needle exceeds the top of the scale, so I don't consider it safe. I'd go for 6V.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom