Pioneer A-91D, any comments about this amp?

c3conv

This had been the top of the line integrated amp. What will be the value now and how was the sound of this unit? At par with hi end amp of that era ('88?)

ee_1_b.JPG

That is one of Pioneers super Amps , after A-27, A-90 and A-90D.

Here you can buy one at Ebay-Germany :

http://cgi.ebay.de/Pioneer-A-91-D-R...ryZ75792QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

very nice looks. :scratch2:
Good quality of mecanical build, same goes for circuits by messure and sound. :thmbsp:
high current power-amp drags anything but Apogee's :yes:
I want one some day :yes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. Has any of you tried comparing it to those vintage '70 to '80 model integrated amps? Is it better to wait for a good vintage Pioneer integrated amps or should I grab this one that is offering me?

To be hournest in my pov. if you use CDP/DVD as primary source ?
I will highly recomend you to buy this amp :yes:

Sanp it up. Not that its any comparison, but I have a VSX-9500S made by pioneer, late 90's. I know lots of people thing anything after 1980 is bpc, but honestly it seems pioneer still made some REALLY well made stuff after the vintage age died. I would buy that amp in a second, I guarantee you you won't be disappointed. These usually weigh a good 30-40 lbs, not because of cast metal framing, but because of good transformers, as well as an excellent power supply. Huge caps, Huge heat sinks... at 680W power in, i'm sure yours is no differnet.

Currently I run my VSX with some Wharfedale 60's - if that isnt an odd combination, I dont know what is. I love it so much the unit barely turns off.

I used to have this amp. It sounds very smooth on the top end and tight bottom end. It actually weighs 65 Lbs unpacked. Go for it.

While the majors slid into mainly black-plastic land in the 80's, their top-end offerings (many of which never came to the US) retained solid construction and excellence in electronic design. These Elite-series amps are a big example. I remember some Sony ES pieces from that time period being amazing performers. Onkyo's Integra stuff from that time period was solid as a rock too. Not all 80's stuff is junk...but the really good stuff wasn't seen much at the big retailers, the Elite gear and the Sony ES gear was only sold at the high-end salons where I lived at the time. Circuit City was all BPC except for the Onkyo separates and some short-lived but impressively-made NEC components...never could figure out why they didn't sell well, they were incredibly built.

Todd in Beerbratistan

I have one,and it sounds very much like the 1979 Pioneer SA-9800. In fact,with inflation taken into consideration they would've cost nearly the same in their respective years.
It's a great sounding,well built heavy amp,but (to my ears anyway) there are slightly better sounding 70's ones out there,like the Kenwood KA-907,Model 600 Supreme,and Sansui AU-X1 etc.

I see the starter post is from 2005, but Daunia 70's post above made mention of the sound being close to that of a SA-9800, and i agree. A friend has the Pioneer SA-9800 and for awhile the A-91D. We had time to compare them side to side and they indeed have a close sonic signature. The A-91D is a bit more dynamic when pushed to higher output levels. I have a Pioneer Elite A-71 integrated built in 1989 and have had it now about 3 years. It is the little brother so to speak of the A-91D. Same exact amp section and very close to the same preamp section also, minus the video. The phono section in these is also very good. Build like a tank and very reliable. They are very much the equals to some very high-end pieces from that period and having had a Accuphase E-202 Integrated ( a damn good amp! ) for many years, the Pioneer A-71 tops it overall with better controlled bass, tad smoother highs, and faster dynamics.

Attachments

• A-71 elite 2.jpg
    A-71 elite 2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom