Technics SL-1200 series as an audiophile turntable?

SL1700 or SL1700MK2?

Lots of changes over the SL1700.

On the SL1700MK2, it's not as many, but one significant is the sprung plinth of the 1700 vs unsprung 1200. The 1700 also has automated arm lift, arm return, some different circuitry.

Things the same are the VTA base operation, arm and bearings, motor, center bearing, platter, dust covers are swappable.

Back after a year or two of starting this thread!

OK, I haven't been on AK for way too long. This thread really generated some responses and feedback. I think it speaks to the quality if this turntable.

Update since I started the thread 1-2 years ago:

I've tried to beat out my technics with turntables in the similar price range. Right now its a shootout between the Music Hall MMF-5 and the Tech SL1200-M3D.

Rig being used:
Speakers - Yamaha NS-1000's (not 1000M's)
Amplifier: - C.E.C. Integrated Class A 100 WPC (line level only)
Pre-amp - Project II Tube based
Cartridge - Shure M97xe (I need this dead flat cartridge for the Yamah Beryllium drivers)
Cables - some sort of basic Tara Labs (not Radio Shack at least....)

Differences between MMF-5 and Tech 1200 M3D:

Gained a little bit of clarity at the high end, but lost bass response and blackness. These differences are subtle and not overly obvious.

The tables could hardly be further apart in design - belt vs DD , straight arm vs S arm , heavy vs light, etc.

Still deciding which I like better. It's all about what equipment the table is paired with in the end.

Back on topic - Audiphile table?? This becomes more a questions of terminology I think. Yes in my mind. High quality and bang for buck?? Absolutely. If you want a table that you set up once, get great sound out of, and never have to mess with it again for a very long time; buy/use this table. I think it is a great choice for a very wide user-group.

More specifically, if you are listening to classic rock it REALLy shines there due to its specific sonic attributes in my mind.

The tables could hardly be further apart in design - belt vs DD , straight arm vs S arm , heavy vs light, etc.

That's kind of where I'm at in regards to my Linn Axis and SL-1200MK2 with wrapped arm and KAB end-stub.

Right now the Linn has a *slight* edge, but if/when I get the 1200's arm rewired with better cable, it may well surpass the Linn. At any rate, if the Linn were to crap out today, I could very well be satisfied with just the SL-1200MK2.

Has anyone tried the SL-1200 with a Grado Black cartridge? Any hum problems?
I ran it with a Shure M44-7, very good bass response but rolled off.
The Stanton 681EEE is just about right sounding but try to get a good stylus! It seems Stanton has Q/A issues.

I know that Linn has effectively promoted by demo the notion that a fine well-sorted out TT (like the Linn Sondek specifically) will get more out of any cart not a POS than an 'ordinary' TT gets out of a fine cart. We've also seen endorsements for the Technics from former owners of Linn and other 'audiophile' intended TTs. I'm an owner/user of a relative SL-1600MkII and, while I've a 'better' TT, I have a situation where the cart surmounts and dominates the equation in favor of the Technics, notably a vintage strain gauge cart from the same company. I dunno if there are other cases where this occurs, it slaughters the former best combo in the secondary system, a "better" Sony PS-X70 carrying a Denon DL-110 driving an Elliot P-06 phono stage. I'm happy because I do like using the 1600 (incredibly user-friendly TT) and without this result would have no use for it in favor of the otherwise sonically superior Sony. For the record I haven't used the SG cart in the Sony because it requires the automute be disabled tho' I did do that for the 1600 to use the SG.

Last edited:
The Stanton 681EEE is just about right sounding but try to get a good stylus! It seems Stanton has Q/A issues.

JICO for the stylus. Not cheep but highly regarded. I just ordered one on the advice of beatcomber and thedeilous. I should be able to give an educated opinion in a week or so when it gets here.

http://stylus.export-japan.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=1361

When you ran the Shure, what VTA setting did you use?

I don't recall as the SL1200 was at a club, but the M44-7 has rolled highs and bassy sound on any TT. The SL1200 might be accentuating this.

Here another happy Grado reference platinum 1 wood user. Without a hum, or distortion on my SL1200MK2. :thmbsp:

A few years ago i sold my SL-1200mk2 after i had the chance to buy a very pristine looking SL-1610mk2 in perfect working order.
I still do not regret this change as its basically still an SL-1200mk2 from the inside and the same arm. Sure it does look cosmetic different from the outside but its suspension is a big plus.
Also the fact that it can by used fully automatic makes me smile every day when I put a record on it and sound wise its a small upgrade over an SL-1200mk2.

After so many years in usage, (mine was build september 1979) it needed some service as its was used regular in its life and never stored in a basement.
What have I done to it so far:

* Upgraded the cartridge to an Audio-Technica AT-150mlx.
* Replaced a smal gear and motor arm belt.
* Replaced all 29 capacitors last week including the control switches on the pcb's.
* Replaced dust cover to one for an sl-12xx M3D/MK5/M5G, I like the smoke look of it and it's a bit lower in height now.
* Replaced the RCA leads to original Technics RCA Gold High-Fidelity Interlink as used on an SL-1200GLD & SL-1210M5G.
* Replaced the Stylus Lamp for an white bright LED.

The Technics SL-12x0mk2, SL-16x0mk2, SL-17x0mk2, SL-18x0mk2 are all build like an tank, and I do not feel the need to replace it for an brand new overpriced Technics SL-1200G at all,
but I'm curious how long this new model will hold up in the coming 30 years. :)

Well throw me into the technics SL-1200 MK II crowd. Just got one today. Cosmetically a bit beaten up, but i got for $350. Works great. I can see where the love comes from. Even with a lowly AT100 this thing delivers. It sounds really good and this one has taken a beating! This one is Paul Newman in cool hand luke. Just gets up and asks for more! It compares very well to any turntable I've had in my setup. Even ones with better cartridges.

I guess it's one of those things. . Those things you doubt you will part with. Too enjoyable!

I am looking to pick up a used one as well. I was originally considering the Pioneer PLX-500 at the low end of things and the PLX-1000 at the high, but then after thinking about it, I decided that maybe it would be better to go for a good used SL-1200 instead of a new Pioneer. The way I see it, given the hit-or-miss quality of most of the Hanpin clones, it would probably be better to have a used Technics made in Japan than a new Hanpin clone made in China, just on a build quality level.

As for the SL-1200-as-audiophile-turntable angle, it's not at all hard to see. After all, that was Technics' mindset when they first released it. The entire turntabling/DJ thing was more or less a happy accident. I think that's part of the reason nobody takes it seriously as an audiophile unit, even though that's what it was built for in the first place. Admittedly it was "audiophile" by 1970's standards, but still quite acceptable nowadays. I will have no problems playing Deutsche Grammophon recordings through mine when I get it. After my recent nightmare experience changing a cartridge on a Music Hall mmf-2.2 which led to two extended repair shop stays, I welcome being able to simply slap on a new cartridge with no fuss or muss.

I am looking to pick up a used one as well. I was originally considering the Pioneer PLX-500 at the low end of things and the PLX-1000 at the high, but then after thinking about it, I decided that maybe it would be better to go for a good used SL-1200 instead of a new Pioneer. The way I see it, given the hit-or-miss quality of most of the Hanpin clones, it would probably be better to have a used Technics made in Japan than a new Hanpin clone made in China, just on a build quality level.

As for the SL-1200-as-audiophile-turntable angle, it's not at all hard to see. After all, that was Technics' mindset when they first released it. The entire turntabling/DJ thing was more or less a happy accident. I think that's part of the reason nobody takes it seriously as an audiophile unit, even though that's what it was built for in the first place. Admittedly it was "audiophile" by 1970's standards, but still quite acceptable nowadays. I will have no problems playing Deutsche Grammophon recordings through mine when I get it. After my recent nightmare experience changing a cartridge on a Music Hall mmf-2.2 which led to two extended repair shop stays, I welcome being able to simply slap on a new cartridge with no fuss or muss.

If you have the opportunity to have a close look at the spindle of the Technics Sl-1200xx turn table and the tone arm bearing of the the Technics do so.

You will understand what is good quality and what is not. :music:

Cubducat you have a pretty good perspective of the 1200 clones and a Technics 1200. When the Technics 1200 was introduced it was well up the midfi ladder of consumer tables. The recent Pioneer tables are clearly directed at the scratch DJ market, all one has to do is watch Pioneers promotional videos to see who they are catering to, it's unlikely the scratch DJs will be playing any Deutsche Grammophon records on their Pioneers. Reversely the Technics in the 70s-80s when used by that periods DJs they were actually playing records that contained music and the Technics tables were many times part of a permanently installed/elaborate/costly/professional club sound system. The other thing you hit on was quality control, Technics made QC a priority, with the clones it's hit and miss at best and reflects a less than well trained, motivated assemblers and inspectors. For what you would of payed for a new PLX-1000 you should be able to get a Technics 1200 in excellent plus to near mint condition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom