Pioneer CS-44 received them today!

PioneerHPMLuver

Just received my first CS Series of speakers from Pioneer. I am listening to them in my home office now hooked up to a Kenwood KR-4600 receiver. At first I was not impressed. But the funny thing is, they began to grow on me. I felt they were warm and not as detailed as the HPM series but an extra boost on the treble control solved that. I don't know, kinda weird...Any way I oiled them up, used a Q-tip dipped in the oil and cleaned up the grills real nice. The're not mint but are in good shape. I plan on hooking tham up to my SX-3000 (SX-626) in the bedroom with a pair of HPM-40's. I hope they mate up nicely with the older Pioneer receiver.
I know the wattage rating (25 watts max) and the Ohms's (8 Ohms) 8" woofer and single tweeter. The grills screw on. I don't know much else...Anyone know the frequency response? Year made, Etc?
See some pic's posted below

Attachments

• P1010146.JPG
    P1010146.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 200
  • P1010147.JPG
    P1010147.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 59_1.jpg
    59_1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
they were out in 69 and were discontinued in 72, ran for $67 and were upper lower end speakers. frequency 35hz-20khz .

Thanks for the post Randy,
Wow...I thought that they had a nice deep end to them but didn't think they reached down that deep. The more I listen to them more I like!

There has been a guy in my area trying to sell the speakers for about 8 months now. He periodically puts them on Craigslist, at first he had them listed at $75, I tried to talk him down to 50 and he did not accept. Months later he has now listed at $50 but upon the reviews I've done online they don't sound like they are worth fifty bucks but they are in pristine condition and look excellent, I have not heard them yet but have found mixed results.

They deserve some respect , if only for the cabinets .
Get a 5/7 band eq , cut the midrange and turn it up . That will improve them . The cs series ( and I have 4 ) need an eq .

Edit . A 13 year old thread.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="siouxafrican, post: 12290382, member: 264863 I have not heard them yet but have found mixed results.[/QUOTE]

Let's see.
You didn't say if you eventually purchased them. You don't think they're worth it. But you haven't heard them.
But you" have found mixed results".
I'm sorry. I might be stuck in the seventies, but not on stupid.

Had a pair of these for years (got mine second hand for something like 10 bucks in the mid 70's). Dug 'em out of the basement last week to use outside (the cabinets have been through a LOT of parties lol). Hooked 'em up to a cheap little Technics amp/tuner from a 'rack system' I had lying around (I believe it's 50 rms per ch.), and the sound blew me away. had to kick up the bass and treble a tad, but those old speakers just sang. Now I know why I kept 'em around all of these years!

I’ve come into a number of CS (A) series speakers lately, and have refinished and recapped them all. They are not bad speakers (not great either), but the craftsmanship of the cabinets and the grills is top notch (from a furniture perspective). Great speakers to thoroughly enjoy during a daytime power outage...

I had a set of the 44s a few years ago. I did not get them recapped so I cant really judge them fairly really. I do know that a pair of Nova 6s stomped them like nobodies business on sound. I wish I would have recapped them but a local record shop offered me twice what I paid for them so out they went.

...they look a lot better than they sound.
Agreed on that. They are beautiful but it is amazing how much better Realistic Nova 6s sound......they just stomp the Pioneers. There are few of the CS series that sound ok but not many and that is shame.

I just acquired a really nice pair of these. Can someone tell me how to remove the grills?! Has anyone rebuilt the crossovers or purchased new drivers that can offer advice? Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

I've been looking for a pair of these (the Pioneer CS-44s, not the later CS-44As) for some time. Sort of a trip down nostalgia lane - my late Dad owned a pair, and it's the first speakers that I actually got to experience music with. Trouble is finding a pair in decent condition for a decent price, with a buyer that's willing to ship to my freight forwarder in Miami...

Back
Top Bottom