Infinity Studio Monitor 150's Worth Salvaging?

tommyd111

I saw a pair of these in average cosmetic condition. On one the tweeter was missing on the other one a midrange driver speaker was thrashed. Couldnt find any info on them in Orion.

Should I rescue them?

Last edited:
I am in the process of parting out a pair of SM-122's right now.
They had trashed cabs, but all drivers were perfect.
Here is the blue book info for the 150's:

INFINITY
SPK, SM-150 3-WAY
Description: STUDIO MONITOR, 15" WOOFER, (2)4.5" MIDS, 1" TWEETER

Manufacture Years: 1986 - 1989

Additional Information:
Power: 300
Retail
MSRP: $550.00
USED: $150.00
Wholesale
Mint: $85.00
Average: $50.00

I owned a pair of SM-125's back in the day, great rock, party speakers ;)

Cops came to my house the first night I used them ;)

Those Blue Book values are either wrong, or for one speaker only. The military BX's sold those when new, and a pair in there was $579, so I'm thinking MSRP on the outside may have been $550/speaker.

In any event they were absolutely terrible. 15" ported woofer, in a tall cabinet that was so flimsy in construction, you could rock it back and forth with your pinky. The SM-80 8" two-way wasn't bad, as was the 10" three-way, the SM-100. They cheaped out on the cabinet bracing (among a bunch of other things) when they got to the SM-120 and 150, and it sounded like it.

Thor may be right about that SM series being good rock speakers. Distorted rock would be helpful.

Toasted Almond

Tommy, you can check the Archived messages about the Infinity SM speakers vs what are some REALLY good Infinity models, Ive already written about the topic before.

B/F

SM-150

They are talking about the SM-150's that I had.
Bought them for $25 and sold them for $80. Don't feel bad,
they gave me a hard time also.
Uri

Back
Top Bottom