Sony STR-4800

gyusher

-don't go round hungry-
Anyone know the STR-4800? I have an opertunity to pick one up cheap right where I live. Reminds me of my ST-4950 Sony tuner and if that is an indicator I am on it. . .
I know you Sony guys are out there. . . . How much power etc???

There's this...

SONY RCV, STR-4800SD
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1977 - 1982
Additional Information:
Power: 35
Retail
MSRP: $400.00
USED: $38.00

Thanks bolly

Thanks. . . About what I figured, it must be made during the time period that my ST-4950 tuner was made as they look just alike. I think I can get this guy for ten bucks, everything is supposed to work perfect. I might gamble a little.

I've got one and it's a nice sounding unit. I haven't really played it much, but did hook it up for a while after seeing your tuner posts.

I picked it up largely because of the good things I heard on the STR-6800, and because I had a Sony TA-2650 50wpc amp for about 15 years. I actually like the looks (many don't) and think it would be a nice addition for you.

I really should give it a longer term listen, but with my Sherwood S-7210, Pioneer SX-737 and assorted Marantz 22xx's in play it's a tough lineup to crack:dunno:

But what the hay, $10.00 can't buy a couple a decent lunch; it's a steal!

That generation of Sony receivers had nice sounding amps, but has noisy phono stages. Lots of hiss. Other than that, nothing special.

I've not played with this series but anytime I can pick up a decent listening receiver for $10.00 I'd go for it. Most recently, putting together an setup to give to the music teacher of my kidd's school since the system in the class room is not much more than a boombox. Probalby will be the Pioner SX525 and a set of Smaller Advents I have a line on and a CD. It will be the school's reward for putting up with my son for 4 years, especially the music teacher. Total cost; about $100 with the receiver being only $10.

Another system I've looking st is for a student at the school whose family doesn't have 2 nickels to rub together and this kid is MUSICAL - I mean GREAT. He is in the process of getting offers from most of the universities for their music programs. Haven't decided yet but he does have a small collection of vinyl according to my kid and plays them on an old portable record player. I have the H-K 630 that I may build the system around and know of a Dual 701 table that is available for a swap. Also have a line of a set or AR4x speakers. Total cost for this will be less than $130.

Before picture

Understand now that I didnt take this pic. . . A little over ten bucks . . 15.99 to be exact. I pick it up. You can see the resemblance to the ST-4950. . .

at work in my house

For a lower line Sony from the period this 35 watter is a great sounding receiver and at 15.66 I have a new back up. FM stereo light is out but stereo does work and the light for the tuning needels is out other than the previous owners SS# ingraved on the face top and a max volume mark beside the volume knob the thing is in great shape.

Bumping this 16 year old thread since I´m in the same position as the OP. I may be onto a Sony STR-4800 for a hafway decent price that may leave me a dollar or two for a cold one. Seller says it´s all working but has som flaws:
- Some nicks and dents in the wood and a couple of color stains on the top of the casing. I think I can live with it and fix this.
- Two of the controlknobs are sitting crooked but apparently working. Probably got a hit sometime. This is worrying me a bit more. Can this be fixed? Is this a ticking bomb where something can break in a potentiometer?
And then I´m of course interested in any opinions and experiences with these things. Anything prone to break besides the usual cap or tranny that may need replacing? Unobtanium parts that should make me run and not walk away?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I've had one for many years and it has always sounded amazing. But, it crapped out one day both channels simultaneously. Poking around I discovered that the relays that protect the speakers were not getting energized. If I closed them manually the unit ran normally. I took it to a shop and they told me the power transistors were blown and were made from unobtainium. That made no sense to me so I made a wedge out of plastic and jammed the relays closed. While I had it opened up I cleaned all the controls. It's been running perfectly every since. I think it's a fine unit for the $50 I paid for it about 25 years ago. I run some big Sansui speakers (XP9000) and play LPs. The tuner section is pretty good too.

Back
Top Bottom